Midseason Draft Rankings for 2016 (OHL)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The start of the 2016 calendar year is nearly upon us and that means it is time for me to re-evaluate my rankings for the 2016 Draft.

1. Jakob Chychrun - Defence - Sarnia Sting
The critics have been out in full force lately, especially after his early dismissal from Canada's WJC camp. After looking so dominant as a rookie last year, this was inevitable (especially with so many top 10 candidates playing well). And while I do think that Tkachuk and McLeod are closing the gap, Chychrun is still my number one for a reason. I think he's got number one defender upside at the next level. Offensively, especially in terms of jumping up in the play and looking backdoor, he hasn't been nearly as aggressive this year. The reason for that? I'm not entirely sure. But he's got offensive potential. Don't let the critics convince you otherwise. Defensively, he remains a rock. He's so smart positionally, and is such a good skater. This makes him very difficult to gain position over (he's so good at winning races and angling out forecheckers in loose puck battles). Would I like to see him be more aggressive with the puck? Absolutely. Would I like to see him play a little more physical? Sure. But he's still a top flight defensive prospect with a great head on his shoulders.

2. Matthew Tkachuk - Forward - London Knights
The thing that really stands out for me with Tkachuk is his hockey sense and vision. He's so good at gaining/keeping possession in the offensive end, and subsequently finding teammates with a pass to create scoring chances. Seems to have eyes in the back of his head in this regard. Of course, he's also very good in front of the net. He's not a behemoth, but he battles hard near the crease and has very good hands in close. Other than the speed component, he's really the complete package offensively. While his first few steps could certainly use an upgrade, I don't think he's terrible in this regard either. Keeping up with Mitch Marner isn't exactly an easy task. And because he's so good at using his body and because he's so intelligent, Tkachuk is able to slow the game down and I think that makes him look a little more sluggish than he actually is. Keith's son has proven himself to be a legitimate contender for the OHL scoring title.

3. Michael McLeod - Forward - Mississauga Steelheads
Honestly, I love this guy just as much as I do Chychrun and Tkachuk. I do think the upside is a shade lower offensively and thus the 3rd place ranking. McLeod is your prototypical NHL center for today's game. Great size/power, great quickness, and a solid two-way game. McLeod might be the most powerful skater in the entire OHL. His first few steps are so explosive and it makes him very hard to contain in the offensive end. I also love his aggressiveness in going hard to the net; a real relentless player. His playmaking has improved a lot, especially when working the boards. In terms of his other tangible assets, McLeod is one of the OHL's top face-off men, is already a terrific two-way player, and will engage physically to force turnovers. Really, the only thing missing from his game is an elite shot. If he can really work on his release and velocity, he could be an incredible force off the rush. As is, he's a lock for a top 10 pick IMO.

4. Alex Nylander - Forward - Mississauga Steelheads
The skill level of Nylander is incredible. Every game of his that I've seen has come with at least one electrifying one on one move to embarrass an opposing defender. Having two big power forwards like McLeod and Bastian flanking him certainly helps to give him more time to operate, but a lot of the credit is owed to Nylander for creating his own space with his hands. Outside of that, second most noticeable asset is his shot. He possesses an absolute rocket and that's why he's been seeing a ton of time on the point of the Steelheads' powerplay this year. His slapshot, in particular, has a ton of velocity. While his play and intensity without the puck is inconsistent, he certainly can not be called a perimeter player. He will attack the net and has no trouble having to fight through traffic/checks to make a play. It's his board work/defensive play that will continue to need to be worked on. But the Swedish winger is every bit the NHL prospect his brother William is.

5. Mikhail Sergachev - Defence - Windsor Spitfires
Came to Windsor with a ton of hype and has lived up to all of it. One of the main reasons why the Spitfires are currently leading the West Division. Sergachev has stabilized a defensive unit that had major struggles last year. He's certainly a potential first pairing defender who is the complete package. 6'3, 200+lbs, but moves very well and is not afraid of using his size to play physical in the defensive end. Offensively, he seems to get better and more confident every game. He's now creating a least one good chance a game by going end to end and flashes terrific hands in the open ice. Most impressive IMO, has been how well he's run the point on the powerplay. Makes very good decisions with the puck and is excellent at creating shooting lanes to get his hard slapper to the net. Honestly, at this point, the top 5 as I have it, has really started to separate themselves from the others in this OHL class. All 5 look like top 10 picks come June.

6. Max Jones - Forward - London Knights
The punishing power forward started off the year very cold, but he's really turned things around the last two months. In particular, I really love how he's elevated his game with the likes of Marner, Tkachuk, and Dvorak away at the WJC's. He's keeping things simple in the offensive end and has proved to be a real load for opposing defences to handle below the hash marks. His strength along the boards and on the puck (in general) helps to open up space for linemates as he draws second defenders in. And unlike the beginning the year, Jones is doing a much better job of getting his shots to the net and not trying to force things. Jones' ability to disrupt physically has also been very evident. He's just a powerful guy. That said, I think there's still more room for him to grow as a forechecker and overall nuisance without the puck. That would really take his game to the next level IMO.

7. Logan Brown - Forward - Windsor Spitfires
No question there are holes in Brown's game. But, they're easier to forgive when you remember that he's a 6'6 center with the potential to control the game in all facets. He loves taking the puck just inside the redline and bullying his way into the offensive zone. He's just so hard to separate from the puck. His speed isn't terrific, but it doesn't make him a less effective player off the rush. I do think that it prevents him from being more explosive in the offensive end though. He works the boards so well, but he doesn't have the separation ability that a guy like Mike McLeod does to go hard to the net. I'd also like to see Brown shoot the puck more and find more time to hang out near the crease for garbage goals/deflections. But that's part of the warts with Brown. The speed and the intensity need to improve, yet, he's still a point per game player who's growing into his frame. Where will his game be when he's filled out? That's why he's still a definite first round pick IMO.

8. Alex Debrincat - Forward - Erie Otters
The little engine that could. His goal scoring numbers have dropped off from that torrid pace he started the year at, but that was to be expected. At the end of the day, Debrincat is still a offensive dynamo who leads the OHL in goal scoring as a draft eligible player. His shot and release are the best in the OHL. Generates such enormous velocity on his wrist shot and is so quick to loose pucks that goaltenders often don't even see the puck coming. Sure he's small, (5'7 is really small by NHL standards), but players like Tyler Johnson and Johnny Gaudreau are proving that small players can succeed in today's NHL. Debrincat possesses the two most important qualities that small players need. Speed and tenacity. Speed to beat defenders one on one, to get to loose pucks, and to evade checks. And tenacity to win battles that they shouldn't win on paper, and to play the game harder, and to want the puck more than the opposition. Despite the size concerns, he's still a first round pick IMO.

9. Olli Juolevi - Defence - London Knights
While some scouts still seem to favor Juolevi to Sergachev, I just don't see it. IMO Sergachev's potential is far greater. That said, Juolevi is still a very solid prospect (otherwise I wouldn't have him inside the top 10). He's a very calm and collected player who operates at both ends very efficiently. I really like how he starts the transition game. Can evade the forecheck with good mobility, or make a great first pass out of the zone and that's critical for the Knights' juggernaut offensive attack. He picks his spots to jump up in the rush, but I don't think he's got a ton of scoring potential. Defensively, he's proved to be a very solid one on one defender who uses his stick and mobility to stay ahead of attacking forwards. He'll use that same smarts to gain position over forwards in the corners, or to deflect passes in the slot. All in all, Juolevi is just a very solid two-way defender who's not flashy, but is very effective. Does that put him at risk of falling before June though?

10. Will Bitten - Forward - Flint Firebirds
Bitten has had an absolutely fantastic first half to his season in Flint. He's emerged as the offensive leader of the Firebirds, pacing them in scoring by a large margin, and keeping them in the hunt for a playoff spot. Bitten reminds me a lot of Spirit forward and Lightning draft pick Mitchell Stephens. Plays the game with a ton of energy, regardless of the situation. He gets his nose dirty on the forecheck and the backcheck and is a very good player without the puck. I love how active his stick is in the neutral zone and while working the penalty kill. But Bitten's best quality is his speed. He might get the most breakaways of any player in the league because of his first step quickness and game breaking speed. Bitten also has very good hands and a great wrist shot to finish off plays that he creates with his speed. I expect him to continue to battle hard for a rebuilding Flint team, but then really explode at the U18's where he could play a critical role (and his speed will look fantastic on the big ice).

11. Nathan Bastian
12. Adam Mascherin
13. Taylor Raddysh
14. Markus Niemelainen
15. Dmitri Sokolov
16. Victor Mete
17. Givani Smith
18. Sean Day
19. Cam Dineen
20. Logan Stanley
21. Cole Candella
22. Jordan Kyrou
23. Boris Katchouk
24. Tim Gettinger
25. Keaton Middleton
26. Connor Bunnaman
27. Travis Barron
28. Cliff Pu
29. Tye Felhaber
30. Tyler Parsons

At the link you can find write ups and the rankings for the full Top 50.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/12/midseason-top-30-for-2016-nhl-entry.html

Of course, I'm always happy to answer any questions.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Brock, well done here.

Your Top 13 is nearly identical to my ranking. I think we're starting to see the OHLers fall into place.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Great read and write up as usual Brock! Bastian really has been the most improved player in the league in my opinion.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Really hoping to see Ang continue his first half and Wells do a complete 180 after his first half. Both will climb the rankings before the draft I'm sure!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad