GDT: Midseason bye GDT

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So we are halfway through this crazy ride (and its bye week). I was thinking we could use this topic to just get a pulse of what is going on here. It can be a free form discussion or we can focus on a couple of the standard areas like midseason awards, midseason grades, etc.

Offensive Player of the half season: Marchy

Defensive Player of the half season: This one is a little tougher for me... Miller?

Player you are most interested in seeing develop: Halua for me. He seems like he is just scratching the surface.

Best win of the half season: 12/8, at Nashville. Subban holds strong during a SO win against one of the West's best. The knock on this team was that they were beasts at home (Vegas Flu), but the road record was iffy. This was our strongest road win of the first half and I think it gave the team a whole lot of confidence that their system works at home or on the road. It also was a huge boost for Subban who cemented his spot as a 1b more than a backup.

Player most likely to surprise in the second half: I'm going with Nate Schmidt. He gets a ton of ice time and seems like he is really starting to push the puck more. I think we are going to see some more offensive production from him in the second half.

Concern for second half: Offensive productivity. Just worried about some players that are having career years going into a slump. But this team has always had a "next man up" mentality so I am sure someone else would just pickup the pace.

Prediction for second half: We continue to roll. Finish the season in first place in the west and easily make the playoffs. After that, I honestly am not even thinking about it. I feel like we are playing with house money once we get to the playoffs and whatever they go is just gravy.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So we are halfway through this crazy ride (and its bye week). I was thinking we could use this topic to just get a pulse of what is going on here. It can be a free form discussion or we can focus on a couple of the standard areas like midseason awards, midseason grades, etc.

Offensive Player of the half season: Marchy

Defensive Player of the half season: This one is a little tougher for me... Miller?

Player you are most interested in seeing develop: Halua for me. He seems like he is just scratching the surface.

Best win of the half season: 12/8, at Nashville. Subban holds strong during a SO win against one of the West's best. The knock on this team was that they were beasts at home (Vegas Flu), but the road record was iffy. This was our strongest road win of the first half and I think it gave the team a whole lot of confidence that their system works at home or on the road. It also was a huge boost for Subban who cemented his spot as a 1b more than a backup.

Player most likely to surprise in the second half: I'm going with Nate Schmidt. He gets a ton of ice time and seems like he is really starting to push the puck more. I think we are going to see some more offensive production from him in the second half.

Concern for second half: Offensive productivity. Just worried about some players that are having career years going into a slump. But this team has always had a "next man up" mentality so I am sure someone else would just pickup the pace.

Prediction for second half: We continue to roll. Finish the season in first place in the west and easily make the playoffs. After that, I honestly am not even thinking about it. I feel like we are playing with house money once we get to the playoffs and whatever they go is just gravy.
I'll follow the template.

Offensive Player: Also Marchessault. He's creating, he's scoring, he's all over the place.

Defensive Player of the half: Schmidt. Love that dude, and while he can't seem to score he's playing solid D.

Players to Develop: Tuch. I seriously think Tuch is a future star. The guy just makes things happen. I'd like to see him develop defensively a little, but I think he's a star.

Best Win: Tampa. Top team in the league and clutch factor came through. Amazing game, wish I didn't have to dump my tickets.

Biggest likely surprise of the second half: Sbisa. I think Luca wants to stay, wants to prove people wrong, and wants to stay out of the press box. He's been a first pairing D for most of the season, so I guess it's not much of a surprise, but I expect him to firmly plant himself without question on the top of the D list in the 2nd half.

Concern for the second half: Power Play. They need to take advantage of the chances they get on the PP. We need better zone entries, and they need to figure out how to score with nine skaters in their offensive end on the PP. To be honest, they need to get better with both teams in their offensive zone regardless of the penalty situation.

Prediction for the second half: The fall off a little as they bring some guys into the fold after the TDL. However, we'll know what we've actually got, depth-wise. It will cost on the standings sheet, though.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I'll follow the template.

Offensive Player: Also Marchessault. He's creating, he's scoring, he's all over the place.

Defensive Player of the half: Schmidt. Love that dude, and while he can't seem to score he's playing solid D.

Players to Develop: Tuch. I seriously think Tuch is a future star. The guy just makes things happen. I'd like to see him develop defensively a little, but I think he's a star.

Best Win: Tampa. Top team in the league and clutch factor came through. Amazing game, wish I didn't have to dump my tickets.

Biggest likely surprise of the second half: Sbisa. I think Luca wants to stay, wants to prove people wrong, and wants to stay out of the press box. He's been a first pairing D for most of the season, so I guess it's not much of a surprise, but I expect him to firmly plant himself without question on the top of the D list in the 2nd half.

Concern for the second half: Power Play. They need to take advantage of the chances they get on the PP. We need better zone entries, and they need to figure out how to score with nine skaters in their offensive end on the PP. To be honest, they need to get better with both teams in their offensive zone regardless of the penalty situation.

Prediction for the second half: The fall off a little as they bring some guys into the fold after the TDL. However, we'll know what we've actually got, depth-wise. It will cost on the standings sheet, though.

Thought real hard about Schmidt for DPO(Half). He gets matched up against the opponent's best each night too. Can't argue at all with that choice. And I also think Tuch is really interesting as well. I agree he can blossom into something special. We seem to have quite a few in that category.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Figure I'd throw in before it's too late.

Offensive: Marchy.

Defensive: Schmidly. :)

Develop: Tuchsy.

Win: At Nashville.

(Guess I'm not being too original with my choices so far!)

Surprise: Huntsy. (What?!? :laugh:)

Concern: Injuries.

Prediction: Some regression, but solidly in playoffs. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad