Player Discussion Midpoint Report Cards

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There's an interesting bit in this Steve Simmons article on Cliff Fletcher. I'm usually not much of a Simmons fan, but the Fletcher bit is interesting. Fletcher broke down his roster based on exceeding, meeting or below expectations and you can see how Simmons ranks the Leafs. Interestingly, he has Matthews below expectations which I agree with.

Toronto Sun: SIMMONS SAYS: Players meeting or beating expectations have Leafs looking great.

For the Sens, based on my personal expectations

exceeding expectations
Stuetzle, Sanderson, Giroux

Meeting expectations
brassard, Kastelic, Watson, Zub, Motte,

Just barely meeting expectations
Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Holden, Zaitsev, DeBrincat (points good, goals not good, trending towards not meeting), Gambrell, Hamonic goalie duo

Not meeting expectations
Chabot, Batherson, Kelly

I don't know what to think
Pinto - the expectation was he'd be a good 3C. He's been playing 2C and asked to do too much so it's hard to assess
Joseph - has missed a lot of time. My expectation was he'd be a decent 3rd liner but with Pinto elevated, he really hasn't had other solid 3rd liners to play with.

At the end of the day, the Fletcher view is you need more guys exceeding expectations than not meeting them to be good. If you have that and aren't good, it is a roster issue. I think our situation is too many guys not meeting expectations or just barely meeting them. With some critical guys not meeting

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There's an interesting bit in this Steve Simmons article on Cliff Fletcher. I'm usually not much of a Simmons fan, but the Fletcher bit is interesting. Fletcher broke down his roster based on exceeding, meeting or below expectations and you can see how Simmons ranks the Leafs. Interestingly, he has Matthews below expectations which I agree with.

Toronto Sun: SIMMONS SAYS: Players meeting or beating expectations have Leafs looking great.

exceeding expectations

Meeting expectations

Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Holden, Zaitsev, DeBrincat (points good, goals not good, trending towards not meeting), Gambrell, Hamonic goalie duo

Not meeting expectations
Chabot, Batherson, Kelly

Pinto - the expectation was he'd be a good 3C. He's been playing 2C and asked to do too much so it's hard to assess
Joseph - has missed a lot of time. My expectation was he'd be a decent 3rd liner but with Pinto elevated, he really hasn't had other solid 3rd liners to play with.

At the end of the day, the Fletcher view is you need more guys exceeding expectations than not meeting them to be good. If you have that and aren't good, it is a roster issue. I think our situation is too many guys not meeting expectations or just barely meeting them. With some critical guys not meeting
Generally agreed, but a guy like Brassard meeting expectations (more or less the expectation of being able to lace up his skates) is not going to help the team that much.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Generally agreed, but a guy like Brassard meeting expectations (more or less the expectation of being able to lace up his skates) is not going to help the team that much.
Nope, it's not.

Your top players need to be meeting or exceeding expectations and we don't have enough of that.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A+ - Tkachuk - PPG All-Star, leads team again in scoring for the 4th yr in a row
A - Giroux - is a declining superstar, but turned into a great signing
B+ - DeBrincat - has turned into an excellent playmaker, but needs to score more
B+ - Stutzle - getting better offensively, but is still too reckless with the puck
B - Sanderson - has been as good as advertised & shows superstar potential
C+ - Chabot - needs to snap out of his lackadaisical play, needs to be better
C - Batherson - his offence is good, his defence needs to improve dramatically
C - Pinto - plays a good two way game, should only get better
C - Zub - defence is good, but they need more offence from a top 4 D
C - Hamonic - plays hard minutes, blocks shots, gives his all for his age
C - goaltending - both have been really good & both have let in some stinkers
C - Kastelic - brings physicality & good on faceoffs, needs a little more offence
D- everybody else is depth & probably could be upgraded or replaced.

If Norris would have stayed healthy he would likely be in the top six in scroring & our top two lines would be the top six scorers on the team. They need more offence from the bottom six & from the defence. Chabot should be over 30 pts, Sanderson I assume will get better every yr, but after that there is no other defenceman who is a point producer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

exceeding expectations

Meeting expectations

Not meeting expectations
Chabot, Batherson, Kelly

I think it is important to identify what the expectations were in order to assess and then conclude that a player is meeting, exceeding or failing to satisfy them.

It would be great to have a defined list of expectations for each player, based on their lineup position (i.e., performance related trackable, observable criteria such as goal, assists, points, GF/60, GA/60, etc.). I don't have such a list; I have subjective views only.

Subjectively, I tend to think as follows:

Exceeding Expectations
Stuetzle, Sanderson, Giroux, Tkachuk

Meeting Expectations
Kastelic, Watson, Zub, Motte, Brannstrom, Holden, Debrincat, Hamonic, Kelly, Chabot, Gambrell, Brassard

Below Expectations
Batherson, Joseph, Talbot, Forsberg, Norris (injury)

But some of my expectations were low to begin with, such as for Brassard, Gambrell and Zaitsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad