29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
oof-meme.gif

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Except for the one year of Talbot, when have we not had the worst goaltending in the league during the McDrai term?

May be a common denominator there?
As bad as Koski was, Smith was far from the worst starter in the league when he was here. Never thought I'd miss Smith lol.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
37 in the top 6 just makes me sad. What options do they have though with Mr 22 games 1 point Brown. Man that's as pathetic as it gets. There's probably goalies that have played less games this year that have more points 🤦

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I was confident the team would rebound with the coaching reset, and it did. But I had underestimated the degree to which Skinner would continue to sink the season. he's just been awful and responsible for 5-6 losses this year on his own. Trouble is he doesn't really steal games. Maybe one this season.

With the 3 game road trip ahead being very difficult its hard to imagine us winning 2/3, but thats what we would have to do just to be .500 at Christmas. I just don't know how many times the team can just dig down even deeper and get it back. Having to outwork opponents by a wide margin every game just to make up for league worst goaltending is a real hard track to maintain. At some point, and maybe now, exhaustion hits again. The Oilers have much more game density as well in back half of season. With Drai looking like he is I'm not seeing it at present. Maybe still a WC, but I don't know. This last two games losing, its something the team couldn't afford.

He has stolen games in the past - not sure what's happened this year.

Outduelling Hellebuyck a couple years ago in a tight SO win is the first one that comes to mind.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Kinda OT:

Made a Blockbuster trade 2 days ago. I hope this works out in my favor! (I'm NovaStrike). I now have McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard and Skinner. Rest of the roster is Stamkos, Kaprizov, Jt. Miller, Toffoli, Sergachev, Heiskanen, Fox, Debrincat, Panarin, Seider, and Oettinger (though I saw he's injured and I'll have to find a replacement for now)

If there is ANY time for Draisaitl and Hyman to get hot, now is it.
Screenshot_20231219-091600.png

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

This is a hell of a look

Maybe the lack of finish on that 3rd line is so strong they cancel eachother out? Lol

Or become history's greatest checking line essentially guaranteeing 0 goals by either team for the 10 minutes a night they play. I like it overall since Brown and Janmark seem to be reading each other well on the PK maybe that translates to a strong pair of wingers, but my god, poor McLeod. He's likely going to get bought out if this line lasts as he's bound to end the season 10-15 points max.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Brown bottom 6. Good!
I wouldn't mind seeing Janmark play with Draisaitl/Kane and have Foegele back on third line.

Nah. Janmark should only get elevated vs. his former teams Chicago, Vegas or especially Dallas. He doesn't score against anyone else and is a black hole offensively against 29 of 31 teams. Foegele at least will be part of them getting pressure and can create some space, just hopefully its the other two shooting more often than him.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

This is a hell of a look

Maybe the lack of finish on that 3rd line is so strong they cancel eachother out? Lol

I think the Brown-Mcleod line will end up being the defacto 4th line in that they should have the least minutes. I pity anyone on the team that has to play with them, poor Janmark looks to have drawn the short stick.

Play them limited minutes against the weakest competition out there and bring on the hopium something clicks.

I hope Mcleod is hurt. Not that I wish any ill on him as I was a big fan of his. But his play this year has really sour'd my opinion of him. Whenever I see Mcleod play I say this for fun as it helps me cope "God damnit! Mcleod's disengaging! I knew it! shit!" We need to trade for Ice man or maybe find goose to talk to him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He has stolen games in the past - not sure what's happened this year.

Outduelling Hellebuyck a couple years ago in a tight SO win is the first one that comes to mind.

He did that as a complete unknown rookie for that one, so that may have been a bit of the thing Edmonton experiences often vs. lesser known backups, but yeah that may have been his best game in the NHL.

The last two seasons since becoming a regular in the NHL there is only three games that Edmonton won where they had less than 50% of the expected goal share without them scoring at least 4 goals and only once where they scored less than 3.

The two games that they won with 3 goals were a Buffalo 3-2 in March where shots were 39-37 for Buffalo so not really a steal, but just an outduel of the other goalie. There was also a 3-2 win in October last year vs. Calgary where Edmonton was outshot 42-26, but the expected goal share was much closer at 47.5%. So this one is close to steal, but maybe not an outright one as it took Markstrom misplaying a puck in the third for Edmonton to ultimately come back.

December 27 vs. the Flames was the sole victory where Edmonton was outplayed badly and only scored two. Easily this was his best game of the year and the only true steal in the last two seasons as he allowed only 1 goal on an expected 4.53, and fortunately Edmonton took care of business scoring 2 on their expected 2.14.

All that said, looking at these games specifically, his two best wins were against Calgary last year who was known to be underachieving offensively most of the year.

He's had occasional games where he was better than the opposing goalie in a tightly contested game, but really he can't be expected to steal a game on any kind of regular basis.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Nah. Janmark should only get elevated vs. his former teams Chicago, Vegas or especially Dallas. He doesn't score against anyone else and is a black hole offensively against 29 of 31 teams. Foegele at least will be part of them getting pressure and can create some space, just hopefully its the other two shooting more often than him.
for me I'd like to see Janmark just play that puck retrieval/grind style for that line. I find guys have trouble finding chemistry with Foegele, he's a bit too tunnel vision.

but I get what your saying.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is a hell of a look

Jebus that third line. lolol Call it the cratered line. Watch them score tonight.

Kinda OT:

Made a Blockbuster trade 2 days ago. I hope this works out in my favor! (I'm NovaStrike). I now have McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard and Skinner. Rest of the roster is Stamkos, Kaprizov, Jt. Miller, Toffoli, Sergachev, Heiskanen, Fox, Debrincat, Panarin, Seider, and Oettinger (though I saw he's injured and I'll have to find a replacement for now)

If there is ANY time for Draisaitl and Hyman to get hot, now is it.
View attachment 786340
How is this even relevant to anything. I fed my cat today. I feel like I should have to mention that.

I couple years ago is a very long time ago lol
Yeah really if we're digging that far it confirms the point of concern.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
for me I'd like to see Janmark just play that puck retrieval/grind style for that line. I find guys have trouble finding chemistry with Foegele, he's a bit too tunnel vision.

but I get what your saying.
Foegele should be getting some of the being chased by bees meme that Yakupov was always getting. He's like a random molecule, never know what he's going to do. Somehwere in Foegele there is a hint of promise and skill on puck. Then he plays in NHL games and his brain is disconnected. This guy can do a lot of things with a puck and has speed and some moves but just never puts it together.

Reactions: Oilers

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Foegele should be getting some of the being chased by bees meme that Yakupov was always getting. He's like a random molecule, never know what he's going to do. Somehwere in Foegele there is a hint of promise and skill on puck. Then he plays in NHL games and his brain is disconnected. This guy can do a lot of things with a puck and has speed and some moves but just never puts it together.

Good comparison, he's in many ways a bigger Yamamoto in terms of effort, forecheck and such, but with less ability to find open ice. Right now, I think Draisaitl need more of that than what Janmark or Brown can bring. I still think Gagner would be best in that spot right now, but since Ryan appears to be okay, leave that line alone for another game or two and revisit after we seen how things look in those games.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Exactly how I feel about Foegele.

Foegele is the type that will get into a good position for a scoring chance and not score lol... where Janmark won't get into open space and will just cause more havoc, hopefully giving Kane and Draisaitl a bit more room to work.

obv hopefully we just find a better fit than Brown, Foegele and Janmark.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Exactly how I feel about Foegele.

Foegele is the type that will get into a good position for a scoring chance and not score lol... where Janmark won't get into open space and will just cause more havoc, hopefully giving Kane and Draisaitl a bit more room to work.

obv hopefully we just find a better fit than Brown, Foegele and Janmark.
Foegele is Jeff Friesen. All the speed, some skill, NO finish at all.

But a guy that can play in your bottom-6 for like a decade at the right price.

Edit: Not as Gritty as Friesen, but I will say hockey was different when Friesen played.

Reactions: bone and Oilers

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Foegele is Jeff Friesen. All the speed, some skill, NO finish at all.

But a guy that can play in your bottom-6 for like a decade at the right price.

Edit: Not as Gritty as Friesen, but I will say hockey was different when Friesen played.

Friesen also ended up with more than 200 NHL goals and 5 20+ goal seasons, and three 60+ point season. So I'd take Friesen over Foegele. If I remember correctly, wasn't he a bit smarter defensively, but not 100% sure of that.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
yakupov.gif2.gif

Reactions: bone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad