Mid-Season Report Card

CouchScout

Datsyuk-A Absolutely awesome, slow start is the only reason why this isn’t an A+. P.S I think Datsyuk might actually want to play with Cleary and Abdelkader because by now something would have been done.
Zetterberg-A Has stepped up tremendously with the C on his chest.
Toots-A- Still have not grown to like him like you guys, but he brings a tremendous amount of effort and grit.

Tatar-B+ Has done very well so far in his call-up, has added a very-much needed youth injection.
Brunner-B I pretty much expected good production from him, but he needs work on defense along with gaining more strength.
Filppula-B Still looks scared to shoot the puck, he seems to have injuries that are holding him back though.
Eaves-B-Hoping he can fully regain that pre-injury form. Been effective so far.
Miller-B-Still provides a good 4th line presence for us.
Franzen-B- Looked pretty good when he wasn’t floating, want to see him offered in trades at the deadline, hopefully he can rekindle some of his offense and be a bigger threat.
Andersson-B- Has been a pleasant surprise, I basically wrote him off as far as his NHL future before this season, but he looks pretty good on our 3rd line.
Emmerton-B- Has been trying to replace Helm on the PK and has done adequate in that department, but he disappears otherwise.

Cleary-D+ He was really bad during the first 10 games. I’m glad he’s brought some scoring but he’s done with us after this year. Babcock should have switched him to the 3rd or 4th line after 2 games of the 8-13-11 experiment.
Abdelkader-D Has not done much at all, I’ve only noticed him on giveaways, Hogging up ice time that could be used on Nyquist.

Ericsson-B+ Has been pretty solid, eats up minutes and really looks like he’s becoming a top-pairing defenseman.
Kindl-B Looked pretty bad the first couple of games, but given consistent time, he’s holding his own.
Kronwall-B He’s been awesome at anything related to the net (screening Howard, his offense.)

Smith-C Even before the injury, he has disappointed me, thankfully the past few games have been flashes of his high-end potential.
White-C Feel absolutely terrible for this guy. He has not been good, but he has certainly been better than KQ. Does not deserve to be benched.
Lashoff-C Looked really good for the first 3-4 games, but has flat lined since. Needs some positional work but when in position, he’s played well.
Huskins-C Has been adequate when counted on. Expecting to see him waived when healthy.

Quincey-D I’d like to see Babs actually sit out our worst defenseman, He’s done about as much as Abdelkader and has a TERRIBLE juju that follows him wherever he goes. Easily brings the team down.

Howard-B Aside from maybe 2 or 3 games, he’s been pretty damn consistent.

Team: B They seem like they’ll be a playoff team this year, but they have to continue playing the way we have the last 6-8 games.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
P.S I think Datsyuk might actually want to play with Cleary and Abdelkader because by now something would have been done.

I don't. You can clearly see the disgust in his face every game when those two idiots fail.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
People said the same thing when Holmstrom was 'strapped' to his arm. Then Datsyuk said he asked to have Holmstrom there.

Datsyuk wants to play with people who know how hockey works and what to do with and without then puck. Cleary and Abby are classic puck chasing grinders. Homer has, for all his faults, very good hockey sense.

I remember an interview where Datsyuk was said to hate when players called for the puck. He preferred if you just got open.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
People said the same thing when Holmstrom was 'strapped' to his arm. Then Datsyuk said he asked to have Holmstrom there.

We wont ever know who asked to play with who. DRW keep alot of their comments in the room. No spoiled players allowed. Who knows if Babs is completely responsible for certain lines, or if some players request other players etc.

I am not going to rate everyone because most people are pretty accurate with their ratings.

But I think there is some SERIOUS bias on some of these ratings. An unfair bias both good and bad.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg - A+ (Both have been both hot and cold, but no different than most other stars in the league, only crosby is a two point a night guy EVERY night)
-More than 1 pt per game is hall of fame territory.

Abdelkader C+ - he is a 4th line player. he is like tootoo light. He has less offensive upside than too too. His job is to provide energy and hitting. Instead of 4-5 pts, he has 1. Did anyone expect him to have more than a few points? no. He was put on a line with Datsyuk, so his points should go up right? I don't know, he has no real offensive skill, people are being unreasonable with their expectations here.

Emmerton B- he is also a 4th line player, producing the way abdelkader should be. But Emmerton is no better. People getting excited about emmerton are doing so based on LOW expectations. Instead of waiver fodder, he has upgraded to 4th liner... great, but who cares, we have too many of those guys. But I can say he is CHEAPER than Abdelkader, and that makes him worth keeping if abdelkader is more expensive.

Cleary D - He is much more of a dissappointment than Abdelkader because cleary is a 3rd liner. Has offensive ability, and reasonably can be expected to put up much better numbers when moved up to the 2nd line. He has underperformed.

Babcock C+ He seems to be making decisions alot slower than randy carlyle. Carlyle is giving young guys alot of chances and benching bigger contracts. Toronto is doing well because of it. Babcock has a team full of injuried. He has had Tatar and Nyquist this year, and they should have been given a bigger role for at least a few games.

Howard A - Howard has been playing well all year. When the defense was bad, Howard looked worse. When the defense has been good, Howard has almost had 3 shutouts in a row. Howard is a good keeper. He is going to make 4Mil per year.

Filppula C - Performed poorly considering expectations
Franzen C - Performed poorly considering expectations

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I don't. You can clearly see the disgust in his face every game when those two idiots fail.

Yeah, the last 2 games I've gone to (Last Sunday vs Chicago and Thursday vs Edmunton) you can tell Datsyuk has given up on trying to get the puck to either Cleary or Abdelkader. He's working his ass off to create scoring opportunities but he's not looking to use either of his wingers. Also, twice I saw him try to gain the o-zone and Cleary or Abdelkader would screw something up and his reaction seemed to be, "**** it" and gets off the ice after about 30 secs.

This is really, really painful to watch.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Yeah, the last 2 games I've gone to (Last Sunday vs Chicago and Thursday vs Edmunton) you can tell Datsyuk has given up on trying to get the puck to either Cleary or Abdelkader. He's working his ass off to create scoring opportunities but he's not looking to use either of his wingers. Also, twice I saw him try to gain the o-zone and Cleary or Abdelkader would screw something up and his reaction seemed to be, "**** it" and gets off the ice after about 30 secs.

It looks like he's starting to gel with Smitty though, those two had a couple of good chances last game. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out with how offensive minded Smith is.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

I thought Datsyuk's line was really effective last game because they played entire shifts in the other zone. I don't know if there's an intentional change in that line's objectives or whether they were focusing on cycling because of a lack of finishers but it's certainly better than Datsyuk going one on three and turning the puck over or a bad pass.

Or maybe the Oilers suck enough that we were able to grind it out.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Or maybe the Oilers suck enough that we were able to grind it out.

For Thursday night, at least, I would say this was the case. Sitting there in person, there wasn't one Oiler that really stood out as being a threat the entire night. They really looked flat.

Of all the "young guns" that you think you're going to see when heading to watch the Oilers, Tatar showed them all up.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Forwards:
Zetterberg - A
Datsyuk - B+
Franzen - B
Brunner - A-
Filppula - C-
Cleary - D-
Abdelkader - F