Mid season player rankings (Lapresse)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Very fair.

The only thing I disagree with is that I think DD should be bumped up to a B for his play since being split from Pacioretty, and that Parenteau should be bumped down to a C+. After a hot start, PAP has been disappointing outside the shootouts.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pretty good for the most part.

Not sure why Gallagher is an A- though, I'd put him the same as Galchenyuk.. he works ass his off but only having 2 powerplay points despite playing the third most PP minutes among forwards is awful.

I'd probably put Subban as an A too, he's had some bad games but he's been very solid defensively for most the year while logging over 25 mins a game.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Good player rankings. I agree with all of them more or less.

Happy that Eller actually gets some credit for doing the small things and being a good role player for the team.

Surprised at the B+ for Subban considering the guys at RDS have a fetish for grilling him. Nice to see some intelligible Habs writers now and then.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Good player rankings. I agree with all of them more or less.

Happy that Eller actually gets some credit for doing the small things and being a good role player for the team.

Surprised at the B+ for Subban considering the guys at RDS have a fetish for grilling him. Nice to see some intelligible Habs writers now and then.

Subban had a bad game and it can be argued he could play better. But the sum total since early this season is closer to a B+ than a C. And on the other hand, DD was better recently which could bump up his grade, i.e. you can put more importance in his play these last two weeks. But if it's not just a snapshot in time but really a mid-term report you need to look at everything.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Very fair.

The only thing I disagree with is that I think DD should be bumped up to a B for his play since being split from Pacioretty, and that Parenteau should be bumped down to a C+. After a hot start, PAP has been disappointing outside the shootouts.

Generally agree with this more or less. I think since he's been put off the 1st line, I would give him a B+...but including the rest of the year, I would have him as C or C+ so overall, I think B- is fair.

PAP at C+ I agree with.

Also think Gally should be more like a B+. The effort is as always A+ level but production is good for him but as a 1st line wing? Well, regardless, it's nitpicking so generally okay with it.

I do think Bournival should be scored higher though. For what he is asked to do at his position in the lineup, I think he is doing very well. At least a solid B.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wow. Well balanced and hard to argue any of the rankings in my opinion.

if only more media was as evenly and fair handed.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Godin is the best IMO, and there are not a whole lot out there that are close.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Here are mine

Carey Price: A
Has been very good, but sort of what we expect.

Max Pacioretty: A
Scoring plus adjustment to Galchenyuk and better defensive play.

Brendan Gallagher: B
Good but a bit too many giveaways and poor puck decisions.

P.K. Subban: B-
I find he has come along lately(except the TB game) but a slow start

Andrei Markov: B+
Steady and very underrated.

Tomas Plekanec: B+
Solid year at both ends despite sometimes so so linemates and tough matchups.

Dustin Tokarski: B+
Solid back up, better than I expected.

Alex Galchenyuk: B
Nice stride offensively, pretty good adjustement to C. Faceoffs and consistency needs work.

Dale Weise: A
Hard to ask more from him, good depth player.

Lars Eller: C+
Better than last year but still some rough nights. Needs a good playmaker with him to produce.

Sergei Gonchar: A
Better than I expected, providing a steady presence and helping the kids...

Jiri Sekac: B-
Some highs and some lows, needs to be a contributor every night. Still adjusting it appears.

Brandon Prust: B
Did better than I expected on 3rd line, fine there...for now.

David Desharnais: B
Somewhat slow start, then picked it up, adjusting to the wing. Keeps working hard.

P.A. Parenteau: C+
For a one dimensional guy, needs to produce offense more consistently. Shootouts earn him the +.

Nathan Beaulieu: B+
Nice strides during his last recall. Hopefully he can continue the improved defensive play

Alexei Emelin: C
a bit too inconsistent...needs to use the focus he has against Boston every game.

Sven Andrighetto: B-
has not looked out of place, scored early on but has generated a few chances lately. Probably not 100% ready.

Michaël Bournival: C+
Struggled early then got hurt... Has looked very good recently. Needs to add offense.

Tom Gilbert: C+
Usually makes good decisions but has been prone to the odd giveaway. Can give more.

Manny Malhotra: C-
Needs to do more than just faceoffs...a goal would probably help his confidence. Has always chipped in offense in the past.

Mike Weaver: C-
Has not played in awhile, a bit more difficult than last year, probably more suited as #7 than #5 or 6.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Like that La Presse review I don't totally agree with a couple of them but it is a good one.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
A lot closer ranking than most I have seen in the past. Journal de Montreal would always have DD as one of the highest ranked players.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Subban had a bad game and it can be argued he could play better. But the sum total since early this season is closer to a B+ than a C. And on the other hand, DD was better recently which could bump up his grade, i.e. you can put more importance in his play these last two weeks. But if it's not just a snapshot in time but really a mid-term report you need to look at everything.

You may have misunderstood. I think B+ is a fair grade for Subban, if not A-. What I'm surprised about is that the French media is giving him credit. The author is showing that he's actually intelligible unlike the hens at RDS.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
You may have misunderstood. I think B+ is a fair grade for Subban, if not A-. What I'm surprised about is that the French media is giving him credit. The author is showing that he's actually intelligible unlike the hens at RDS.

RDS doesn't represent the French media. It's a big part, I know, but there are a lot of intelligent analysts outside of this sad collection of ''experts'', Godin being one of them. And Subban shouldn't be immune from criticism. He's been Montreal's best defender by far but we all know he's capable of playing better more consistently.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
RDS doesn't represent the French media. It's a big part, I know, but there are a lot of intelligent analysts outside of this sad collection of ''experts'', Godin being one of them. And Subban shouldn't be immune from criticism. He's been Montreal's best defender by far but we all know he's capable of playing better more consistently.

Hmm...well, I think B+ is fair considering what he has done this year but if we start to consider what he is capable of...then I'm thinking C, C+ is a better score. He just seems much more capable than what he has shown us this year...or any years actually. Guess my expectations are pretty high ;)

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Based on the role he plays and expectations, a B for Weise seems fair.

It would have been useful to know more about the rating system, and whether its in absolutes (unlikely), relative to their position, potential, and/or past performance.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Much better list than that of RDS. I don't know all that much of Godin but I might start paying more attention to him if this article is a reflection of his usual work.
Gaston on the other hand is a moron who has zero credibility in my books.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Solid list, but I'd change a few things around. Gallagher is definitely too high, Parenteau is too high, Beaulieu is a bit low, Plekanec a bit low, Galchenyuk a bit low.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
very good list.

Im looking at the grades relative to Price since he's the fixed quantity. We know he's the best. It's then a question of figuring out how many grades removed everyone else is from him. In that sense, Patches should be an A- and everyone bumped down accordingly.

I also don't have an issue with Gallagher's ranking. He is a warrior and the only player not named Price to show up every single shift. I personally love him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad