Mid Season Grades

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kaprizov - B shows signs of picking up his game.

Zuccarello - B could be better, but it's hard to complain about P/PG, for a guy late in his career.

JEE - A- If he could just get his FO's above 50%.

Boldy - C+ terrible start, but has picked it up. Has to produce, at 7M/yr.

Rossi - B+. nice comeback year. Has gone from a disappointment to a young player with a top 6 future.

MarJo - C+. Decent year for what he is paid.

Hartman - C+. Good, versatile, depth player

Foligno - C+ Meh... not bad.

Freddy G. - C- disappointing. We've got three more years of this?

Maroon - B- Given his usage, talent, and contract, surprisingly ok

Duhaime- D+ passes the eye test, but his production is awful

Dewar - C-

Lettieri - INC.

Raska - is this the best we can do?

Faber - A+ Superb

Brodin - B solid, when not injured.

Bogo - C+

Spurgeon - INC worst year since he came into the league due to injury,

Middleton - B+ breakout year for him offensively.

Merrill - F

Goligoski - D+. Can't believe that Merrill has played more games than him.

Mermis - C- . Has more than doubled his NHL career games played this year, at age 30.

Hunt - INC. blinked, and missed him.

Gus - D+ uneven, and disappointing.

MAF - D+ marginally better stats than Gus

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kaprizov: B-, finally starting to turn it around, wasn't good for a long time

Zuccarello: D+, expected to be a top contributor, has played significant time in the top six, just got a contract extension prior to the season, is terrible at even strength, exclusively a PP merchant at this point

Eriksson Ek: A-, everything you expected him to be on pace for 35 goals and 65 points, brilliant, give him the C

Boldy: B-. has been too streaky still, isn't taking a step forward offensively, but the team around him is getting worse so it's a lot to ask of a 22 year old

Rossi: B, best on the team relative to expectations, tremendous step forward, isn't producing as much as he should, isn't quite as noticeable lately, still like the anti-Zuccarello (looks good, doesn't get points)

Johansson: C-, too streaky, too soft, disappointing season compared to last, still good production for his cap hit, good zone entries for the most part

Hartman: B, points aren't there because he's not playing with a prime Kaprizov anymore, and still prone to the occasional dumb penalty, but excellent in his role as a pest, still on pace for over 25 goals, highly versatile, very lowkey valuable player that doesn't get enough appreciation

Foligno: C+, fine, better than last year, still not worth his next contract, average-to-good bottom sixer

Maroon: C+, fine, just keep him away from the talent

Gaudreau: D-, I don't think this guy is actually on the team this year but CapFriendly says he has a contract

Duhaime: C, can't complain too much, he is what he is

Dewar: C+, another underappreciated presence on the fourth line, starting to make me think of Sturm, could probably get a chance higher up the lineup but he's made himself irreplaceable on the fourth line, will likely end up going elsewhere for more opportunity, Wild will likely try to find the next guy who can replace them which isn't always as easy as it sounds

Faber: A+

Brodin: C+, do we have to start worrying about yearly injuries a la Spurgeon? Otherwise same old thing on the ice

Spurgeon: F, injuries (again) keeping him out, play has been lackluster when he is in, there's nothing positive to say about his season

Middleton: B+, playing above expectations, is finally worth his contract, lots of responsibility thrust on him and he responded spectacularly

Merrill: D-, is what he is, not entirely his fault that Guerin felt like he needed a 3 year contract and two coaches have felt compelled to play him, 6/7D who plays like a 6/7D

Goligoski: D-, is what he is, not entirely his fault that Guerin felt like he needed a 3 year contract and two coaches have felt compelled to play him, 6/7D who plays like a 6/7D

Mermis: D-, is what he is, not entirely his fault that the GM couldn't find better (Butcher and Chisholm pending) and injuries have led to him playing more minutes than he ever should have

Hunt: D+, played like a 6D when he was here, wasn't given a lot of opportunity to shine, had some good moments through it, probably a better option than the three directly above, but coach and GM aren't ready for it yet, didn't stand out as bad, but also didn't stand out as good

Gustavsson: C-, thought he had turned it around after the slow start, but is now pretty underwhelming again, unfortunate, but the team in front of him doesn't do a lot to help him out either

Fleury: C-, still the same as he has been here, this time he actually can use the defense as an excuse

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Guerin - F, worst GM in the league the last 9 months

Faber's been very good, Rossi has been slightly better than expected, Bogosian probably shouldn't have cleared waivers when Tampa put him on based on his play, other than that nothing really surprising/disappointing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just doing the key guys:

Kaprizov: B+

Zuccarello: B-

Eriksson Ek: B+

Boldy: B

Rossi: A-

Faber: A

Brodin: A- (getting hurt not his fault)

Middleton: B

Gustavsson: D+/C-

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Doing Top 6/Top 4

Kaprizov: B

Zucc: C+

Eriksson Ek: A

Boldy: B-

Rossi: A

Johansson: C-

Faber: A

Brodin: B+

Middleton: B

Bogosian: B+

Notes:

1. I have a tough time putting Eriksson Ek at a lower grade than Faber. Both doing really well. Both equally important to the forward/dman groups.

2. Went back and forth on giving Rossi an A or A-. Decided it was an A simply because he doesn’t get the power play time that all the rest of the top point producers get.

3. I gave Bogosian a B+ because he has performed way better than I expected. I actually wouldn’t mind if he was back next year on a cheap bottom pair contract.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Kaprizov - B shows signs of picking up his game.

Zuccarello - B could be better, but it's hard to complain about P/PG, for a guy late in his career.

JEE - A- If he could just get his FO's above 50%.

Boldy - C+ terrible start, but has picked it up. Has to produce, at 7M/yr.

Rossi - B+. nice comeback year. Has gone from a disappointment to a young player with a top 6 future.

MarJo - C+. Decent year for what he is paid.

Hartman - C+. Good, versatile, depth player

Foligno - C+ Meh... not bad.

Freddy G. - C- disappointing. We've got three more years of this?

Maroon - B- Given his usage, talent, and contract, surprisingly ok

Duhaime- D+ passes the eye test, but his production is awful

Dewar - C-

Lettieri - INC.

Raska - is this the best we can do?

Faber - A+ Superb

Brodin - B solid, when not injured.

Bogo - C+

Spurgeon - INC worst year since he came into the league due to injury,

Middleton - B+ breakout year for him offensively.

Merrill - F

Goligoski - D+. Can't believe that Merrill has played more games than him.

Mermis - C- . Has more than doubled his NHL career games played this year, at age 30.

Hunt - INC. blinked, and missed him.

Gus - D+ uneven, and disappointing.

MAF - D+ marginally better stats than Gus
Minor adjustments for me would be a slight downgrades on Kaprizov, MarJo, and Middleton, then bigger downgrades for Freddy and Mermis. Slight bumps for Hartman and Fleury. Otherwise we are pretty much in lock step.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minor adjustments for me would be a slight downgrades on Kaprizov, MarJo, and Middleton, then bigger downgrades for Freddy and Mermis. Slight bumps for Hartman and Fleury. Otherwise we are pretty much in lock step.
I look at things in terms of what they are paid. Marjo is being paid 2M, and is a .5 P/PG player that plays both ways and has great speed. That's dirt cheap. Middleton is on pace for about 30 points, is big, tough, 20 minutes per night, and plays slightly above average D. He makes 2.5M - again, dirt cheap.

Freddy is disappointing - i suspect he has been playing hurt.

Mermis makes near the minimum - well under 1M. Bang for the buck is reasonably good, IMO. My expectations for him are low, and he has met them.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I look at things in terms of what they are paid. Marjo is being paid 2M, and is a .5 P/PG player that plays both ways and has great speed. That's dirt cheap. Middleton is on pace for about 30 points, is big, tough, 20 minutes per night, and plays slightly above average D. He makes 2.5M - again, dirt cheap.

Freddy is disappointing - i suspect he has been playing hurt.

Mermis makes near the minimum - well under 1M. Bang for the buck is reasonably good, IMO. My expectations for him are low, and he has met them.
Yeah, I understand your rationale, and am close but maybe personal opinion or bias and I just have these guys a bit off from you compared to my own internal expectations.

If Middleton had shown better when he was away from Spurgeon and Faber then I would have him pretty high, but this season has shown me that he is more of a complimentary player than a line driver, and his points to start the season were a product of some highly suspect play in his own end.

Mermis is someone I just outright do not like as a hockey player, I think his positioning is some of the worst I have ever seen in this league and it frustrates me to no end that he has gotten so much play time while being caved in and giving up a goal every single game he plays. He has the tools, but is past the point where age is an excuse, being a tire fire in your own zone only kinda works if you have star power in the other end, and he does not.

Freddy is for sure playing injured, but has been such a complete non factor all over the ice that even on a team full of half injured guys, he sticks out for his lackluster performance. I generally like him too and think he rebounds but this start has been as bad as it could be for him.

Fleury has been more consistent in his starts than expected and I would say has probably stolen more games for us this season than Gus has. I am not a Fleury fan historically but I have liked his season, especially compared to the way he ended last season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm going by their pay for FWDs. (points + (+/-)) / 49 (total games the team has played). multiply that by 82 (ppg rate). Divide their salary by that total 100k per point is a C (average for what I expect). $5k increments for each grade (C+ = $95k. C = $100k, C- = $105k, etc.).

As an example I'll do Foligno.
19p +11 = 30
30/49 = .612
.612 x 82 = 50.2 (I just used the whole number, no rounding)
$3.1m / 50 = $62k (it would be $80k for his $4m/yr contract)

Rossi = $16k (A+, teachers pet, can do no wrong)
Hartman = $54k (A+)
JEE = $55k (A+)
Foligno = $62k (A+)
MarJo = $86k (B-)
Zucc = $98k (C)
Maroon = 100k (C)
Kap = $108k (D+)
Boldy = $120k (D-)
Dewar is 0, with Duhaime and Freddy G negative for the first number. (F)
The callups FWDs all 0 or negative also.

The goalies are an F

For the d-men going with how I feel:
Faber (A+)
Brodin (D-), Missed a lot of games.
The rest can be traded for whatever and I'd be happy. (BoGo has been good for his pay)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm going by their pay for FWDs. (points + (+/-)) / 49 (total games the team has played). multiply that by 82 (ppg rate). Divide their salary by that total 100k per point is a C (average for what I expect). $5k increments for each grade (C+ = $95k. C = $100k, C- = $105k, etc.).

As an example I'll do Foligno.
19p +11 = 30
30/49 = .612
.612 x 82 = 50.2 (I just used the whole number, no rounding)
$3.1m / 50 = $62k (it would be $80k for his $4m/yr contract)

Rossi = $16k (A+, teachers pet, can do no wrong)
Hartman = $54k (A+)
JEE = $55k (A+)
Foligno = $62k (A+)
MarJo = $86k (B-)
Zucc = $98k (C)
Maroon = 100k (C)
Kap = $108k (D+)
Boldy = $120k (D-)
Dewar is 0, with Duhaime and Freddy G negative for the first number. (F)
The callups FWDs all 0 or negative also.

The goalies are an F

For the d-men going with how I feel:
Faber (A+)
Brodin (D-), Missed a lot of games.
The rest can be traded for whatever and I'd be happy. (BoGo has been good for his pay)
Too punitive for injuries in a physical sport.

Also, factoring in +/- while giving the goalies an "F" is pretty funny.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Too punitive for injuries in a physical sport.

Also, factoring in +/- while giving the goalies an "F" is pretty funny.

Goalies with sub .900 sv% are fails they have no other regular or adv stats that give any positive about their play this year.

+/- isn't a great stat, but it does show it a player is a positive or negative impact while at even strength. It should actually help the FWDs that because they can double dip in points, add PP points. Take the +/- out of my equation it moves Boldy to an F and MarJo ($50k) and Maroon ($25k) to an A+

Injures are just missed assignments, the cap hit is still there. Yes it is punitive to the player stats, but not having them on the ice is punitive to the team.

I'd give Spurgeon an incomplete because he's LTIR for the rest of season and the team can now use that cap space again.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Goalies with sub .900 sv% are fails they have no other regular or adv stats that give any positive about their play this year.

+/- isn't a great stat, but it does show it a player is a positive or negative impact while at even strength. It should actually help the FWDs that because they can double dip in points, add PP points. Take the +/- out of my equation it moves Boldy to an F and MarJo ($50k) and Maroon ($25k) to an A+

Injures are just missed assignments, the cap hit is still there. Yes it is punitive to the player stats, but not having them on the ice is punitive to the team.

I'd give Spurgeon an incomplete because he's LTIR for the rest of season and the team can now use that cap space again.
It's pretty flawed, but at least it's mathematical.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's pretty flawed, but at least it's mathematical.

No more flawed than any other grades given out on here. I don't agree with some of the grades based on feelings, but this is what the math said. I used +/- because I wanted a way to reward/punish 2-way play. It's not something I'd add in most years (I'd just use straight points), but the team is so bad this year that it needed an offset.

Without the +/-, on a just ppg full season rate (A+ don't change).
Kap: $120k (D-), $103k (C-)
JEE*: $80k (B+)
Zucc: $92k (C+), $75k (B)
Boldy: $127k (F), $109k (D+)
Foligno: $100k (C), $91K (C+)
Hartman: $41k (A+)
MarJo*: $50k (A+)
Maroon*: $30k (A+)
Dewar: $53k (A+)
Duhaime*: $137k (F)
Freddy G: $105k (C-), $95k (C+)
Rossi*: $19k (A+)
*played all 49 games.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Freddy might not be getting enough criticism. Im sure hes still carrying some injury from when reaves trucked him but he was struggling since well before that into last season imo.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Freddy might not be getting enough criticism. Im sure hes still carrying some injury from when reaves trucked him but he was struggling since well before that into last season imo.
The Reaves trucking re-aggravated his injury from last year, he had off season surgery and had played through it during the year. Makes the fact that Reaves specifically targeted him there really scummy IMO since he absolutely knew about it. Doesn’t change the fact that Freddy has been our worst forward, at least when it comes to the regular lineup guys.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad