Boston Bruins Mid season grades

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Its now exactly halfway forthe Bruins. Here are my grades on the players so far

Forwards

Bergeron - A+
He's one of the best players in franchise history - he's everything to this team and does everything really well. And he seems to be getting better at age 33. We just need some better health - and I hope someone punches Faksa in the face when we next play Dallas.

Pastrnak - A
He's elite and the most skilled player on the team. Can make something out of nothing.

Marchand - B
He's been a lot better lately and his value to the team is on the ice. The bad penalties and misconducts earlier in the season are the reason for the lower grade.

Krejci - B-
Its frustrating that he seems to only be able to produce when paired with talent. He doesn't make his linemates better.

Debrusk - B
6 goals from tips. Just tireless bulldog, relentless in puck pursuit. Would like to see him use his linemates better.

Heinen - F
I think he's been terrible most of the year. I think his two biggest issues are effort and confidence. The effort wanes and because of that Cassidy has yanked him throughout the lineup hurting his confidence.

Donato - D+
I see the skill and potential, I also see a guy with huge deficiencies in his game.

Backes - D+
Earlier this season this was an F-. He looked cooked and done. But I think over the last 15 games or so, he's been much more physical and less behind the play.

Nordstrom - B-
I like what he brings. He's more than a vanilla forth liner. He can play on any line short term and not hurt the team.

Kuraly - C+
Sometimes we see beast Kuraly and sometimes dumb Kuraly. Lately he's been beast Kuraly.

Acciari - F
He's not an NHLer - not even a 13th forward.

Wagner - C+
Love the physical play he brings and chips in a bit of offense.

JFK - C-
I think he's been ok. I've seen flashes of enough potential that would make me hold on to him or only include him in a trade for a big asset.

Cave - C-
Pretty vanilla player. Dime a dozen 4th liner/13th forward.

Bjork - D
I'm not a fan. Love the speed and tenacity, but I don't think he has the hockey sense to be a top 6 player.

Defense

Krug - C
Lots of offense, great on the PP, but does that offset his poor defense, which seems to be getting worse by the year.

McAvoy - B
Needs some good luck and health. When he's healthy he' by far our best defenseman. That game against Montreal where he dominated both ends of the ice all game long was so Ray Bourque-esque. He's elite and to me looks like a future Norris contender. Would like to see him shoot a lot more than he does.

Chara - C+
He does look slow, and has trouble with breakouts, but is still strong defending rushes and PKs.

Grzelcyk - B+
Amazing skater. He's become a solid top 4 guy. Would like to see him shoot more.

Moore - B
Much better than I expected. Some times has brain farts, but on the whole, he's been much better than I expected. Great skater, who knows his limitations and doesn't try to do too much with the puck.

Carlo - B+
He's really turning into this black hole for opposing players. I do think there is more offense for him to give.

Miller - B+
He's been unluck with injuries this season, but when healthy he looks like a beast. He's skating great, making smart decisions with the puck and strong positionally as well as being a big hitter.

Kampfer - C-
He's been ok for a 7th defenseman. Overused because of injuries.

Goalies

Rask - B+
Struggled in October, but has come one and been very Rask like since then.

Halak - A
He's come in pushed Rask and has played like a #1. With him, we have the best goalie tandem in the league. Doesn't matter who plays, we have a chance to win every game.

Coaching - A-
They've kept us in a playoff spot despite the ridiculous amount of injuries that never seem to stop.

Sweeney - C+
Really love his offseason signings. Nordstrom, Moore, Halak and Wagner have certainly earned their contracts, But he hasn't addressed the biggest issue with the team - depth and secondary scoring. Unfortunately our sophomore players have been a bust this season (except for Debrusk)

Reactions: Bun Cook

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Bergeron - A+
What more needs to be said? The perfect hockey player

Pastrnak - A
Just a dominant offensive force. We are blessed.

Marchand - B
Crazy that he's 44 points in 40 games and I'm slightly disappointed in his offensive production. I just know he is capable of more. He has a huge hot streak almost every season though and he hasn't had one yet so I'm sure it's coming.

Krejci - B
Looked great w/ Marchy and Pasta but if you need two of the best wingers in the game to produce I'm not super impressed. I think he needs a consistent winger who can produce but I'd still like to see a little more from him. He's had some bonehead turnovers as of late also.

Debrusk - B
Seems to finally be getting back to form after a slow start. If he can keep this up for the rest of the year this would be an A

Heinen - D
Ugh

Donato - D+
You can see the flashes but he just doesn't look NHL ready at all. I know he's young but he seems to dominate the AHL and then can't do anything up here. I think he can make it but can't say I'm thrilled.

Backes - D

He is an average fourth liner at this point. What a mess.

Nordstrom - B+
Great pick up IMO. Great fourth liner who can move up to the third line easily.

Kuraly - B
Fourth liner.

Acciari - D-
Not NHL material IMO

Wagner - B+
I like him. Good fourth liner with a needed physical edge.

JFK - C
He will be a good NHL player some day, but not today.

Cave - D
I just don't see much there. Passable fourth liner/13th forward I guess.

Bjork - C
Would like to give him another shot when he's healthy but I just haven't been impressed.

Defense

Krug - B-
Offensively he absolutely incredible. One of the best in the league and I think people underestimate how much offense he drives for us. Unfortunately he has been a bit of wreck defensively. I think he will get better but some ugly moments.

McAvoy - B

Has all the pieces but the injuries are worrying. He hasn't been able to slot in consistently and I think it has been effecting his play a bit. Can't get a good groove.

Chara - C
Can't help but worry when a 41 year has an injury. I think at this point in his career Chara would be an ideal top 4/possibly #2 defensive dman who specializes in PKing. He hasn't been bad but so slow. Don't want to see him get injured or burnt out again.

Grzelcyk - B+
If he was 6 feet tall he would be a top pairing Dman. His positioning is phenomenal and he seems to really understand the game. Would like to see a little more offensive production but still such a good player. Unfortunately his size is always going to limit his abilities.

Moore - B-
He's been fine. Sometimes makes boneheaded plays. Solid bottom pairing Dman who could probably slot top 4 if necessary. Not sure he needed 5 years though

Carlo - A-
At this point he is a phenomenal defensive dman. He brings so much stability and you barely even notice it. Would love to see some offensive output but if he continues on his path he is going to be one of the best stay home dmen in the league

Miller - ?
Not going to rate a guy who's barely played...

Kampfer - D
Not worthy of a roster spot IMO

Goalies

Rask - B
His usual terrible start but has been very solid since. Nothing super impressive but I'm not worried

Halak - A
We all know

Coaching - A-
Cassidy is doing what he can. Can't create depth we don't have. I like how he has handled the goalie situation.

Sweeney - B-
We have no scoring depth. And that was pretty easy to tell during the off season. We had holes last year and lost several players in the off season. We are not going anywhere in the playoffs with this roster. However we have plenty of time before the deadline. TBD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad