Player Discussion Mid-season Grades: Forwards

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Centers -

Tage Thompson – Grade: A; Has built on last year in many ways with some dominant performances thus far this season. Mario-esque in how he does things offensively, it's still amazing how far he's come.

Dylan Cozens – Grade: A-; A nearly point per game center who has excellent transition and entry ability who is still growing at only 21. Consistency is the only missing piece and when he gets that, watch out.

Tyson Jost – Grade: B; Surprisingly useful as a waiver pickup and one of the only players who takes the puck and himself to the net; has had a major impact on the Mittelstadt-Vic duo.

Peyton Krebs – Grade: B-; Settled in as a solid contributor to their energy line over the last 6 weeks; one of the few forwards who seems to spark them into involvement/draw them into the fray.

RW -

Alex Tuch – Grade: A; Still the straw that stirs the top line’s drink; plays fast, plays large, and plays the whole length of the rink

JJ Peterka – Grade: C+; Fast and at times involved, still working out how to succeed at the NHL level; when he’s on and attacking with speed with Quinn, it brings a dynamic to the team they don’t have anywhere else

Kyle Okposo – Grade: C+; Consistent effort and they get exactly the same thing out of him and Girgensons game after game – grinding below the goal line.

Victor Olofsson – Grade: C-; the return of his issues at 5-on-5 up until the last week of the season has been a step back overall; can provide additional scoring off the wing but they need to get what they’ve had the last 5-ish games down the stretch

Vinnie Hinostroza – Grade: D; Has not built on and badly regressed from last season; does not take space when a lane to the net is offered, peels off from going into traffic, and does not have the shot to score from the range where he disengages from the rush

LW -

Jeff Skinner – Grade: B; has had a heater around Thanksgiving, has his usual chaos at both ends of the rink, still creates goals, still gives up chances against…

Jack Quinn – Grade: C; Every time he looks like he’s going to start improving, it’s as though he reads his own press clippings; has struggled to make the right decisions often – passes when he should shoot especially

Zemgus Girgensons – Grade: C+; the usual Gus – suppress the shots, play below the goal line, grind.

Casey Mittelstadt – Grade: C+; having moved to wing, is having some success generating chances with his linemates; oft-crapped on by Sabre Twitter but is it really warranted?

Rasmus Asplund – Grade: D; second only to Hino in how his game has fallen apart from last year to this IMO

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Nicely done - as with the D and G. Very pleased with the Jost claim and surprised to see Zemgus as the fastest guy on the ice a the couple of times I remember them highlighting that stat. Count me as a Zemgus fan. I'm also impressed by Tuch and Tage - and I'll add Dylan Cozens to the impressed by list as well.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Tage: A
Tuch: A-
Skinner: A-
Cozens: B+
Peterka: C-
Quinn: C
Jost: C-
Olafsson: C+
Okposo: C-
Krebs: C-
Girgs: D+
Mittlestadt: C
Asplund: D- (barely an NHLer)
Hino: D- (see Asplund)

Overall, we have a legit NHL A-level talent, with a couple of A- level talents, Cozens knocking on the door as a B+

Need one or two of the C-level players to get into the B- range in order to make the playoffs. Most likely candidate is VO

The one good thing: No Fs at forward this year

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Thompson - A, and it'd be an A+ if he a tad more consistent but that's picking nits at this point.
Cozens - A-, and it'd be an A for the same reasons as Thompson.
Krebs - B-. I had higher expectations for him but if he's going to get stuck with 4th liners, at least he's showing the buy-in that will eventually move him up the depth chart.
Jost - B. His pedigree was pretty high like Krebs and you can see the talent coming through. Didn't expect him to turn into a contributor like this.
Skinner - B+. He's just chaos on the ice and, more often than not, it's positive chaos these days.
Tuch - A. His physical tools/speed are really a pleasure to watch. And he's consistent and a leader in the room.
Quinn - C+. I'm 100 percent sure he's going to pan out, he's just got to work on his strength and conditioning a lot this offseason. He's shown he can snipe already, though.
Peterka - C. Cooled off a bit lately but he's going to be a top-9 player on this team for awhile unless he's a centerpiece in a TDL move. Has some Hecht-like qualities.
Mitts- C-. I appreciate him giving a shit but the same issues he has 3-4 years ago exist today. I am beginning to wonder where his role is on the team with a wealth of forwards coming up in the next few years.
Olofsson - D+ . He turned it on very recently but otherwise has seemed uninterested unless he's on the PP and doesn't seem like a part of the developing core of the lockerroom.
Okposo - C+. He's a good leader and he'll have his flashes, like that hat trick game, but he's come right back down to Earth for a veteran guy with a history of injuries and physical play.
Girgs - C-. He is what he is at this point. I don't think it's an issue to have him on the team as long as it's only in the current role, but something about his career feels a tad bit disappointing considering where we drafted him.

Vinnie H and Asplund do nothing for me but since they haven't played much, I'll just give them an N/A.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Still baffled that Girgs gets any bad rap around here or grief for his draft pos.
He is fine and more than adequate for his role.
He and his line never fail to play a simple game and grind it out to keep it in the ozone.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Grades are relative to expectations

Skinner: A- : ppg player; still leaves something to be desired on defensive effort, but we're stuck with him, and he's contributing; needs less pp time

Thompson : A++ : comn, no one in here would've predicted 'top 3 in the rocket race'. It's an A++.

Tuch: A+ : ppg player, top line power forward? That surpasses my expectations

Olofsson: B- : goals are right where I expected and maybe higher; has been rougher at 5v5 again

Jost: B+ : came in as a new guy and stole the defensive center spot we forced upon Mitts; still not sure on the long term here

Mittelstadt: D : no step taken; still a rough 5v5 and pp player, no pk ability. I fought in the summer to keep him. It didn't work out.

Peterka: B : rookie year, already a secondary contributor; lots of work with strength and defense to do

Cozens: A : took the key step. Impact player center with defensive abilities. sign him long.

Quinn: B : rookie year, already a secondary contributor; lots of work with strength and defense to do

Girgensons: B : reliable, been healthy, leader on the team, still battles; very low offensive ceiling

Krebs: C: hasn't fully grabbed a role yet, but better of late. I'm a Krebs fan, and still think he's part of the solution here; the role is TBD though

Okposo: B : still scores some key goals for us; still looks slow out there, but you never question the effort

Asplund: F: lost his job to Jost. hurt by not being a center, but when he's had his chance, hasn't done enough with it. Unsure on future path with him

Hinnestroza: No grade: this signing was purely "what if Peterka/Quinn aren't ready", and they are, so he has no role here. Sorry Vinnie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad