Post-Game Talk: Microcosm

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We still arguing goaltending isnt important and its all on our defense to stop the pucks, and the other team should never get any chances.

Some simple people that have never actually played the game

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've said it before but the only person who can get inside Nurse's head and get him to play at a real elite level is probably Daryl Sutter.

Nurse needs someone who will break down every inch of the ice surface for him and tell him exactly what he should do in any kind of situation and rip his ass a new one and embarrass him in front of the entire team if he decides to go for an adventure.

A regular coach, even a good one, won't cut it for Nurse.
Still on your one man Sutter crusade, I see.:laugh:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We still arguing goaltending isnt important and its all on our defense to stop the pucks, and the other team should never get any chances.

Some simple people that have never actually played the game
We still arguing that the oilers defensive game isn’t flawed as a team that allows incredible chances against that averaging goaltending can’t bail out?

Such a simple analysis to look at a single player instead of zooming out to see the picture is more complicated.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So how would you propose to change those advanced stats?

I do think number two is generally accounted for in two of the three most popular models, there is consideration for how much open space a guy has and the number of defenders vs number of attackers within a certain radius. There's also modifiers for whether puck was passed or not, and whether or not the shot is contested by a defenseman.

Number one though I think is an impossible metric to consider. What each Goaltender can see is a little bit different, and whether you can see it or not also isn't a really impactful metric because there's a few different variables - one he can see you but you can't see him (dangerous), neither of you can see one another (not dangerous as getting puck through is hard / impossible). This is a fair critique though.

Well that's just the point. I don't think you can properly capture it.

To your point #1... just because people are in a radius, doesn't mean they are actively defending in a way that helps their goalie. Or in contrast that the player is a legit threat to score.

If my defenseman is between me and the shooter, he can be either (A) actively defending, advancing toward the shooter, active stick, legs closed when the shot comes... all helpful. In SHARP contrast, (B) if he's coasting back toward me, not pressuring the shooter he's a better door than a window... I can't see and his backing up is constantly worsening the angles of my view at the same time as the shooter is taking advantage of that. On (A) there might not even be a shot, but in (B) my SPCT is going to be >50% less... ie if normally it 1/10 going in (ie 0.900) on such an (A) shot, how the defenseman plays it determines 0.900 vs (B) 0.700 quite easily.

Secondly... my ability to cut down the angle is not determined by whether someone DID pass the puck, but rather by whether someone COULD or MIGHT pass the puck. I don't see how the trackers can capture that? It's a nuanced judgement call based on the tendencies of the shooter, location of the pass recipient, whether I've got a defender covering it, etc... If I push out, harder to score and easier to pass... if I stay deep, respecting pass, the opposite is true. Is my defender actually goal side? or struggling to catch up and get a stick in the lane?... these models aren't sophisticated enough to capture all of this nuance and it's the nuance that matters.

And I'm not saying only goalies can judge this... I think many coaches, defenders, centers (I don't include many wingers here ;) can all see this stuff... they can see the individual attributes that differentiate one scoring play from another. My personal view is that is fairly easily seen and very difficult to measure.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Drai is doing what he's supposed to and also importantly scoring goals. Perhaps the several players on this lineup that aren't cashing anything are more the reason we're not seperating in games like this. Drai is around his usual figures and really to be on pace for a 46 goal pace and be described as bad is a bit rich. How about Nuge not scoring half the goals he had last year or only having 60% of the pts he had last year. How about McDavid himself not scoring even HALF of the goals he scored last year.

But Drai is bad, always listed, can't be anybody else letting the team down. We lost this game because we didn't cash despite being in total control of the game. The only players that Scored were DRai, Hyman, Henrique, they get a pass.

Bottom line for forwards in NHl, for topsix is scoring. Its lighting the lamp. Thats the number one objective. If you're not getting that you're not doing all you can to help the club.

I'll mention as well that Drai contractually is contributing as much to this team as anybody. The same sort of posters that complained about the Drai "obscene overpay contract" years ago are still complaining about him now. We're seeing Drai at about a 4-5M discount. But still blaming him.
Dude I made points about this OTT game and Drai was awful. Nuge had tons of chances.

Drai hasn't been good. I don't care that he is shitting points on the PP. Drai only has looked good Vs the AVS

Sure Nuge has regressed but last season was an outlier

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dude I made points about this OTT game and Drai was awful. Nuge had tons of chances.

Drai hasn't been good. I don't care that he is shitting points on the PP. Drai only has looked good Vs the AVS

Sure Nuge has regressed but last season was an outlier
Some of the fans are "awful" truth be told. I made the point of Drai being consistently one of the value contracts in the league, Year after year.

This is what Drai has put together within his current contract. A contract that his many detractors were shrieking was "obscene overpay"

Drai 2nd to ONLY Connor McDavid in production, in the whole league since his contract began.

Its funny that Drai is even on a 100something pt pace, Probably gets 46 goals and this called an awful season.

Like I said Drai is consistently delivering 4-5M value per season in this contract relative to other NHL contracts. Lol that a punter like Pettersson just got paid 3M more longterm.

53 NHL players are paid as much or more than Leon Draisaitl. But you come on this board and people somehow complain we're not getting enough. Really its astounding the lack of appreciation.

jebus

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Some of the fans are "awful" truth be told. I made the point of Drai being consistently one of the value contracts in the league, Year after year.

This is what Drai has put together within his current contract. A contract that his many detractors were shrieking was "obscene overpay"

Drai 2nd to ONLY Connor McDavid in production, in the whole league since his contract began.

Its funny that Drai is even on a 100something pt pace, Probably gets 46 goals and this called an awful season.

Like I said Drai is consistently delivering 4-5M value per season in this contract relative to other NHL contracts. Lol that a punter like Pettersson just got paid 3M more longterm.

53 NHL players are paid as much or more than Leon Draisaitl. But you come on this board and people somehow complain we're not getting enough. Really its astounding the lack of appreciation.

jebus
It's funny because people were shitting all over him last year, asking if he lost a step or still had an ankle sprain from the playoffs, and then he finishes with 55 g 128 p.

Sometimes I wonder if people expect certain players to be perfect for every second of every game. Draisaitl turns the puck over, like every star player does several times a game, and there's literally five pages in a row of "lazy Drai," Draisaitl is trash, trade him for anything," "we got bad Drai tonight," "Drai not moving his feet," "Drai giving up," "Drai bad body language, pouting without McDavid, he's mailed it in for sunny Cali."

People constantly point out trolls and troll posts and yet post that kind of trash EVERY GDT.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's funny because people were shitting all over him last year, asking if he lost a step or still had an ankle sprain from the playoffs, and then he finishes with 55 g 128 p.

Sometimes I wonder if people expect certain players to be perfect for every second of every game. Draisaitl turns the puck over, like every star player does several times a game, and there's literally five pages in a row of "lazy Drai," Draisaitl is trash, trade him for anything," "we got bad Drai tonight," "Drai not moving his feet," "Drai giving up," "Drai bad body language, pouting without McDavid, he's mailed it in for sunny Cali."

People constantly point out trolls and troll posts and yet post that kind of trash EVERY GDT.
I don't know theres a more disrespected or unappreciated player in the league than Leon Draisaitl.

It is inane how much people expect from the player and without even pausing to ever realize how much he's overperforming and overcontributing and always has.

But heres the list.

Theres a lot of players on that list that are making millions more than Drai that don't even touch his level of play. The guy has been nothing but value and even in MVP season was highly critiqued and even left off ballots of some of the writers. The guy wins the MVP, Hart, and he's not even on the list of some writers. Its really agenda.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm dead honest saying this - I think they get spooked by the crowd getting excited the PA announcer doing the "PP pump up" announcement, etc which impacts their ability to play. In Edmonton we cheer the good they do on the kill, on the road they cheer the PK's f*** ups.

This team has major problems preforming when they feel pressure. Even though that is pressure in isolation, I can't help but think it plays a role.
I'm dead honest saying this-What?????

Since when did the PA announcer in the Edmonton arena do a "PP pump up" for the visiting teams PP?

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I don't know theres a more disrespected or unappreciated player in the league than Leon Draisaitl.

It is inane how much people expect from the player and without even pausing to ever realize how much he's overperforming and overcontributing and always has.

But heres the list.

Theres a lot of players on that list that are making millions more than Drai that don't even touch his level of play. The guy has been nothing but value and even in MVP season was highly critiqued and even left off ballots of some of the writers. The guy wins the MVP, Hart, and he's not even on the list of some writers. Its really agenda.
I think he can just be at times a polarizing player to watch. So all world in basically every aspect but the turnovers with ill advised back passes and missed coverages in the d zone. People see that and say why is he doing that? But you are correct it’s hard for a guy to be perfect and in his role he gets a lot of ice time in tough situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad