Mickey Redmond

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
... bastion of impartial, honest, old-time hockey left in the game: He hates cheapshots, the CHL draft; appreciates the game, loves goal scoring, and a little animosity.

I can't link all the Red Wings broadcasts to back up my point, but just watch the most recent Wings vs. Sabres game from the Wings' perspective.

I've watched every and all broadcast teams in the NHL; despite my preference for Detroit, he is, hands down, the best colour guy in the game today.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I always liked Mickey Redmond as a player.

Traded to Detroit by Montreal , he scored 42 goals at 24, and over 50 goals as a 25 and 26 year old.

A back injury at 27 cost him his career, as he was only able to play 66 games over his last two seasons, scoring 26 goals.

He reminds me of Buffalo's Rick Martin, in that he could well of ended up a HOF member had his career not been cut short.

(Though Martin had put up 185 goals by age 24, to Mickey's 62. Mickey also would have played more anywhere else but Montreal, so the comparison has validity.)

I only hear him occasionally, but from the small sample size, I like his style as a commentator.

Atta boy...... Mickey!:thumbu:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
... bastion of impartial, honest, old-time hockey left in the game: He hates cheapshots, the CHL draft; appreciates the game, loves goal scoring, and a little animosity.

I can't link all the Red Wings broadcasts to back up my point, but just watch the most recent Wings vs. Sabres game from the Wings' perspective.

I've watched every and all broadcast teams in the NHL; despite my preference for Detroit, he is, hands down, the best colour guy in the game today.

Impartial? Wow that's not even close to accurate
I've been in the Wings' market for 40 years and this guy outright whines and criticizes about poor refereeing all the time...it's annoying as hell

Reactions: Icarium

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Impartial isn't the word I'd use, but I love Mickey. It's like having a grandfather that's still alive.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Have a couple ginger ales!

I watch a ton of Wings games, being local, and he's definitely enjoyable to hear all the time. Of course he likes his team, but he generally sees things fairly overall.

Reactions: Sentinel and LazyT

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Very much enjoying Dave Poulin's work for TSN. He rotates between Ott and Mon regional broadcasts. His analysis is insightful and concise.

Reactions: sabremike

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've always got the impression that opposing fans get to see him for a game or two, see him complaining about a bad call against the wings, and call him a homer.

They don't see all the times he criticizes the refs when a call goes in favor of the wings. Criticizing officiating doesn't mean he's NOT impartial.

Also... I don't see why he's deserving of a thread on the main boards.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I've always got the impression that opposing fans get to see him for a game or two, see him complaining about a bad call against the wings, and call him a homer.

They don't see all the times he criticizes the refs when a call goes in favor of the wings. Criticizing officiating doesn't mean he's NOT impartial.

Also... I don't see why he's deserving of a thread on the main boards.

It’s also the manner in which he reacts to calls. He will just chuckle when the Wings get a lucky call. Overall though, he sees a lot of penalties as weak calls

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Impartial? Wow that's not even close to accurate
I've been in the Wings' market for 40 years and this guy outright whines and criticizes about poor refereeing all the time...it's annoying as hell

In Mickey's defense, he usually does it both ways. His complaints usually go to the over-officiating of the sport or the inconsistency of calls and he criticizes calls that go for the Wings often too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Back in the day he had some pretty serious sideburns. Good player. I remember one of MTL's dilemna's was whether to get rid of him or Danny Grant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad