Mickey Ion divisional semi-finals: Cornell Big Red vs. Hamburg Crocodiles

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Post your special teams, any of your extra skaters you might want to sub-in in this series or any other information.

The format of the first post is standardized for easy, clean, equal comparison, both teams viewable without having to scroll down.

The first seed versus fourth seed.

Let's have a good series!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Special Teams
PP1: Vickers - Lacroix - Hergesheimer - Ehrhoff - Rautakallio
PP2: Payne - Watson - Loktyov - Alexandrov - Kiessling
PK1: Burns - MacMillan - Smith - Buswell
PK2: Hampson - Loktyov - Kiessling - Ashbee
PK3: Lacroix - Vickers - Ehrhoff - Rautakallio

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Yeah, I like both also...

I actually like Hamburg's 2nd line better than their 1st line and wonder if Cornell puts their 4th line against them instead of the top line. It would be quite a match-up.

I'm more worried about that 3rd line. It's a defensible ATD 4th line.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hamburg provides a bit of a challenge for Big Red as they have depth of quality on wing. Moose and Moose will be a threat on the bottom lines. Cornell will actually want to keep its top line away from the second, third and fourth lines of the Crocodiles because of the lack of grit on the passing-oriented first line of ours. Of course, with the top pair of blueliners of Cornell on the ice at the same time, it won't be so hard to compensate for the lack of grit on the top line. Still, a couple of games in the series may be decided based on the Crocodiles depth of scoring talent on the wings, which could draw Big Red defenders wide and open the middle of the ice for the Hamburg centers to skate. In this respect, Cornell will not want its top two lines skating against the Crocs bottom two lines, though Lebedev vs. Goheen would provide sparks. Hamburg could see some significant scoring by its wingers in its home games unless the Cornell blueline and goaltending can handle them.

A benefit of this match-up for Cornell is the lack of bruising centers on Hamburg, allowing Bodnar and Raleigh room to skate in the neutral zone, as the Crocs have similar open-ice skating Lacroix and Gomez.

Secondly, Vickers will find himself challenged in his excellent skill of going to the net and holding his own there as the right winger will first face the likes of physical Lebedev, Peters or Sutter and then Munro, Beauchemin or Gregg.

Thirdly, the Crocs have a lot less nastiness, especially on the blueline, and they may be drawn into retalitory penalties, for sure by Kasparaitis and Sutter.

Moreover, Hamburg's coach Kromm is known for playing an upbeat-style of game and he's had success in the WHA and internationally, but against the Big Red he may find his troops bogged down facing a lot of the third and fourth lines of Cornell when his team is trailing. So, the Crocs really need to score first, which means Cornell will have to play tight, focused hockey from the opening face-off, something coach Nolan is renowned for getting his players to do. Cornell is not a team the Crocs can come back against when trailing by two or more.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I think that was a pretty fair analysis of the series. I think if your top lines are staying away from the bottom lines as much as possible, Hamburg's bottom six should outscore Cornell's at even strength and I think the 2nd line, with Loktev and to a lesser extent Gomez are up for the possession game challenge. However, Hamburg's first line might have defensive issues as their success is based on Lacroix and the puck moving defenceman maintaining possession. Faceoffs are going to be extremely important in this series (I wish I drafted Yanic Perreault :laugh:).

Thirdly, the Crocs have a lot less nastiness, especially on the blueline, and they may be drawn into retalitory penalties, for sure by Kasparaitis and Sutter.

Or Hamburg may get more PP opportunities than Cornell (although they'll need them to contend against Cornell's strong PK unit. Crozier over Ranford is quite the edge unless Ranford is on 90-91 form)

Also, while I have less nastiness, I don't think it's a lot and Hamburg won't be getting pushed around

Moreover, Hamburg's coach Kromm is known for playing an upbeat-style of game and he's had success in the WHA and internationally, but against the Big Red he may find his troops bogged down facing a lot of the third and fourth lines of Cornell when his team is trailing. So, the Crocs really need to score first, which means Cornell will have to play tight, focused hockey from the opening face-off, something coach Nolan is renowned for getting his players to do. Cornell is not a team the Crocs can come back against when trailing by two or more.

It will be like this year's playoffs for Hamburg: score first or lose! The bottom six will be key for Hamburg's road games where they will be seeing the opposing bottom six. I think especially the Hampson line can maintain possession and perhaps generate the increased amount of shots it will take to overcome Cornell's advantage in net and amongst defensive defenceman (although I am fully confident in Hamburg's ability to play solid defensive hockey on the backend). If Hamburg can't outshoot Cornell by a noticeable margin each game, I don't see them being successful.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In one of the more entertaining sweeps in history, Cornell defeats Hamburg in 4 Games with with final 2 Games going into OT.

Star of the Series: Roger Crozier. Nobody else was even close.

Gus Bodnar chipped in all series, and Marian Stastny scored the series winning goal in OT.

Loktev and Alexandrov played well in a losing cause, but just could not get enough by Crozier.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Another quality squad of yours Hedberg. This series apparently came down to one factor, a gumby-like Hasek-lite.

Star of the Series: Roger Crozier. Nobody else was even close.

$(KGrHqF,!lsE5ZVn7fVBBO,+7Cmc9g~~60_35.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad