Michelle Sturino "Pittsburgh won't three peat and won't be top of standings"

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Was listening to NHL game day radio and heard Michelle say something that shocked me that was agreed with the other host saying they think the pens are in trouble next year with all the pieces they will be losing. I still think they look like favorites even if bonino and co end up leaving but the sentiment seems to be that they are screwed. Thoughts?

Edit: the show was ice cap and she made it clear she thought they wouldn't be among the top teams and that it's going to be weird to see.

Last edited:

exHornet

May 14, 2014
It's really going out on a limb to say that it's unlikely that a 3-peat will happen. That took a hell of a lot of courage for her to say that.

Aside from that, though, she's a fool.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'd bet big money they do not three-peat. No team has done that since the Islanders 35 years ago.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Well damn, I guess the Penguins should not even show up this season then. No sense in wasting their time because whats the point? Some unknown wannabe said they wont do well this year. So Sid and the guys can use it to recover. :sarcasm:

And WTF is Michelle Sturino??

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
A threepeat is an unlikely scenario no matter what so this is a safe prediction. However, most of the guys the pens are losing this offseason are older guys who mostly played supporting roles and can be replaced pretty easily. Bonino is the most important guy they're losing, and even he is just a pretty good 3C. I don't see the Pens backsliding too far.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Pat Rielly is hoping for a 3-Peat. He'll make another 20 million on t-***** (He owns that term).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In a league of 31 teams she really went out on a ledge to make that prediction(just playing the odds it's the safe bet)

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Really sticking her neck out betting on the field here.

Depends on what she means by trouble exactly, I guess. Core is still intact, Letang comes back. It's a bit more of a shake up than last year, but still pretty moderate. So, not making the playoffs at all? Pulling a Chicago getting swept in the 1st round? Or just not, you know, three-peating?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins are losing literally no one they don't have internal replacements for. Kunitz is a nothing loss, Fleury is a nothing loss, Daley is a nothing loss with JR apparently signing a UFA defensemen, Hainsey is a nothing loss, Bonino hurts but it sounds like JR has a replacement trade lined up for him. How is this lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Eakin-Kessel
Hagelin-Moore-Reaves

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Cole-Franson

Murray-Niemi

Going to be bad next year?

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
The Penguins are losing literally no one they don't have internal replacements for. Kunitz is a nothing loss, Fleury is a nothing loss, Daley is a nothing loss with JR apparently signing a UFA defensemen, Hainsey is a nothing loss, Bonino hurts but it sounds like JR has a replacement trade lined up for him. How is this lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Eakin-Kessel
Hagelin-Moore-Reaves

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Cole-Franson

Murray-Niemi

Going to be bad next year?

Scary line-up to say the least

Would you say Sprong has a chance to make the team next year ?

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Threepeat is highly unlikely.. they'll probably be near the top of the standings. They're losing some depth guys, but its not like they're losing any vital pieces

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Welp, Sid & co. might as well stay home and get some house chores done.

In all seriousness, they're getting Letang back, any new forward(s) will be an upgrade over Bonino and Kunitz, and they still have guys close to contributing (Sprong, Simon, Blueger).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A repeat wasn't likely either, but they did it. No reason to think they can't three-peat.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
A healthy Kris Letang in the playoffs would more than make up for any pieces they've lost.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Who will beat the Pens? As long as they have Crosby, Malkin, and Murray, with Sullivan as coach, I can't see them losing. They won with a bunch of used-up defensemen.

What player are they going to lose that will cause them to not repeat? Until Toronto and Edmonton fill out their rosters, and until Crosby and Malkin get too old, I see them winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad