Michel Bergeron traded for...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Prior to the 1987 entry draft the Quebec Nordiques traded their coach Michel Bergeron to the New York Rangers for the Rangers 1st round pick - 15th overall.

The Nordiques then used the 15th pick to select Joe Sakic after choosing Bryan Fogarty with their own pick - the 9th overall.

Ironically Michel Bergeron returned to coach the Nordiques in 1989 after being fired by the Rangers with a couple of games to go in the 1988-89 season. The return to the Nordiques was a disaster setting the rebuilding back a few seasons.

In retrospect one of the worst trades in NHL history beating even the Espo trade to Boston.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Prior to the 1987 entry draft the Quebec Nordiques traded their coach Michel Bergeron to the New York Rangers for the Rangers 1st round pick - 15th overall.

The Nordiques then used the 15th pick to select Joe Sakic after choosing Bryan Fogarty with their own pick - the 9th overall.

Ironically Michel Bergeron returned to coach the Nordiques in 1989 after being fired by the Rangers with a couple of games to go in the 1988-89 season. The return to the Nordiques was a disaster setting the rebuilding back a few seasons.

In retrospect one of the worst trades in NHL history beating even the Espo trade to Boston.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Sakic pick was involved in the Dale Hunter trade. Washington sent their first-rounder to Quebec; Washington finished 7th overall in 1986-87, which would give them the 15th pick. Sakic was taken with the 15th pick, while the Rangers picked Jay More 10th overall (which meshes with their standings position of 12th).

In 1988, the Rangers had no first-round pick but Quebec had two in the top five: Daniel Dore and Curtis Leschyshyn.

I also found a partial article from the Washington Post dated June 12, 1988 that included the line "The only alteration to the drafting order occurred because Quebec owned the New York Rangers first pick as compensation for Coach Michel Bergeron ..."

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
My Mistake

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Sakic pick was involved in the Dale Hunter trade. Washington sent their first-rounder to Quebec; Washington finished 7th overall in 1986-87, which would give them the 15th pick. Sakic was taken with the 15th pick, while the Rangers picked Jay More 10th overall (which meshes with their standings position of 12th).

In 1988, the Rangers had no first-round pick but Quebec had two in the top five: Daniel Dore and Curtis Leschyshyn.

I also found a partial article from the Washington Post dated June 12, 1988 that included the line "The only alteration to the drafting order occurred because Quebec owned the New York Rangers first pick as compensation for Coach Michel Bergeron ..."

My mistake. Posted after a friend joked that the Canadiens would do well to make a similar trade involving Jacques Martin.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

You are correct.

I often wonder who the Rangers would have selected. Roenick? Selanne? Brindamour? No way they draft a d-man in the 1st round for the 3rd year in a row.

One thing is certain: the Rangers somehow stole Amonte in the 4th round that year.

Bergeron was a terrible coach. He orchestrated the trade that sent fan favorite Walt Poddubny (RIP) to the Nordiques for that soft scrub Norman Rochefort.

I guess it all worked out. Bergeron stunk. Rochefort stunk. And they won a cup 6 years later.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
June 13th 1987: The Québec Nordiques trade C Dale Hunter and G Clint Malarchuk to the Washington Capitals for LW Gaétan Duchesne, C Alan Haworth, and QUE's 1987 1st rd pick (#15, C Joe Sakic)

Third week of June 1987: The New York Rangers trade NYR's 1988 1st rd pick (#5, RW Daniel Doré) and cash ($75,000) to the Québec Nordiques as compensation for signing head coach Michel Bergeron

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad