Injury Report: Micheal Haley 10/12/18 , out indefinitely

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for your 'thoughts.' Is a roofer no longer insured because they slip and fall off a roof?

No one forces anyone to do anything in life. If your roofer aka players screw up then it's just incompetence or malicious behavior which consequences are trying to be passed on to the employer. However, if the employer knows that the roof is screwed up or otherwise dangerous working environment then it's employers fault. The roofers acknowledge the potential dangers of their trade but still engage in their business. If one doesn't like the terms of the contract of employment then just walk away. No one forces these guys to play hockey for their livelihood. They could opt for a comfy desk job but they accept the risks of brain damage done by other players that do not want some less dangerous job. Don't have to act like that these guys are 5yos who have no idea what the risks and rewards are.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
No one forces anyone to do anything in life. If your roofer aka players screw up then it's just incompetence or malicious behavior which consequences are trying to be passed on to the employer. However, if the employer knows that the roof is screwed up or otherwise dangerous working environment then it's employers fault. The roofers acknowledge the potential dangers of their trade but still engage in this business. No one forces these guys to play hockey for their livelihood. They could opt for a comfy desk job but they accept the risks of brain damage done by other players that do not want some less dangerous job. Don't have to act like that these guys are 5yos who have no idea what the risks and rewards are.
Again, tanks for your 'thoughts.' Said roofers are still insured if a fall happens-- at least with respectable operations.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
could it be smth totally different? you are talking as if you exactly know whats up with him despite we didnt get any details on him.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
This sucks. The league really needs to start caring about concussions - there's too many stories about how it ruined guys' lives.
Fingers crossed for Haley and hope he gets well.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
No one forces anyone to do anything in life. If your roofer aka players screw up then it's just incompetence or malicious behavior which consequences are trying to be passed on to the employer. However, if the employer knows that the roof is screwed up or otherwise dangerous working environment then it's employers fault. The roofers acknowledge the potential dangers of their trade but still engage in their business. If one doesn't like the terms of the contract of employment then just walk away. No one forces these guys to play hockey for their livelihood. They could opt for a comfy desk job but they accept the risks of brain damage done by other players that do not want some less dangerous job. Don't have to act like that these guys are 5yos who have no idea what the risks and rewards are.

When someone says “I’ll pay you a million dollars a year to entertain me with your life” and you know that otherwise you might be lucky to get a job at $50,000 a year because you’ve spent your childhood focusing on a sport and not a career, I think it’s a bit different than what you’re dewcribing. People (players) are easily tempted by large sums of money at young ages and grow in the hockey mindset. Their coming of age is literally with hockey alongside them their whole life. They weren’t adults when they started, and honestly a lot of them stay children in their early adult lives because the life of a professional athlete is totally different. There’s a certain indoctrination of being lucky to be where you are. Few people walk away from the chance to be a professional athlete, and most of them are not very mature when they come of age to become one.

Anyways, I’m not saying you’re entirely wrong, but I do disagree with the idea that a roofer accepting a roofing job is the same thing. Also, the roofer will have himself protected by his employer via health insurance, workplace accident insurance, accidental dismemberment, blah blah blah. Is CTE covered by the NHL years after they’ve left the league? I don’t know the answer to that.
Also the suggestion that the NHLPA would ever agree to a “danger” clause is outlandish. Their role is to represent the young immature player that I just painted a picture of, and they would absolutely not in any way shape or form let such verbage exist in the CBA (and it wouldn't hold in a real court anyways).

Reactions: Givememoneyback

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Few people walk away from the chance to be a professional athlete, and most of them are not very mature when they come of age to become one.

In other words, only a few ppl are well aware of both the pros and cons of the trade. This suggestion that the league needs to somehow isolate and subtract concussions out of the game is ludicrous. How do you when a concussion has happened? Bambi legs ain't good enough from medical standpoint (Brokin can probably confirm this). This leads into a situation where the league has to put every single bodycheck under a microscope and deal suspensions accordingly. This entire "league has to protec their players" is sort of a commie trick when they are well aware that earning millions in this business has its downsides as well but they aren't willing to pay the price for it. Policing this aspect in turn leads to a league that will bubblewrap this game and that'll probably lead to audience turning their attention to other hockey leagues. Like I said, no one is forcing these guys to select their professions but themselves. If you don't like the dangers of your roofing business well then don't do it, just do something else.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
In other words, only a few ppl are well aware of both the pros and cons of the trade. This suggestion that the league needs to somehow isolate and subtract concussions out of the game is ludicrous. How do you when a concussion has happened? Bambi legs ain't good enough from medical standpoint (Brokin can probably confirm this). This leads into a situation where the league has to put every single bodycheck under a microscope and deal suspensions accordingly. This entire "league has to protec their players" is sort of a commie trick when they are well aware that earning millions in this business has its downsides as well but they aren't willing to pay the price for it. Policing this aspect in turn leads to a league that will bubblewrap this game and that'll probably lead to audience turning their attention to other hockey leagues. Like I said, no one is forcing these guys to select their professions but themselves. If you don't like the dangers of your roofing business well then don't do it, just do something else.

You complained that another poster couldn’t give you some content. I gave you some content and you cut away most of it and simply disregarded the rest and subsequently restated everything you’ve already said.

I’m not sure why you responded at all.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm seeing very good examples of why people need to read through and respond accordingly.

Otherwise you might respond to an idea/point that never was presented in the first place.

f*** the instigator rule too.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The only thing I can say about the risks of participating in a contact sport is that plenty of people willingly participate in physically demanding jobs every single day. The best they can hope for when their back gets blown up -- and they're stuck with a lifetime of debilitating pain -- is workman's comp, which is pretty much a joke. And people with those jobs go in every day and do them for a lot less than professional athletes, and with no off-season.

I'm all for understanding the risks of participation, and I've never once complained that professional athletes are overpaid. But with that said, some people absolutely put them up on a pedestal and/or treat them like little children who can't make their own decisions or are somehow being taken advantage of by ownership. Please.

Not everyone has a white collar job. Millions -- billions, really -- of men across the world work physically demanding or dangerous jobs. For instance, guys who work in chemical plants don't draw seven figure salaries, and this is the kind of 'workplace hazard' they have to deal with:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Wish the guy nothing but the best.

But who loses their roster spot in lieu of Haley? Mamin? How do you break up Brouwer Lammikko and Sceviour?

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I would image that he’ll be the 13th forward when he gets back, with Mamin going to the AHL for more ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad