Injury Report: Micheal Haley 10/12/18 , out indefinitely

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Haley was a good Islander and Sound Tigers, was a nice guy to talk to the one time I met him, hope all is well!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Another casualty of a long list of enforcers that pay the price. I think I read somewhere that he has a wife and kids. Hopefully, the contract Boo got him will help him put his life back together again and keep his family unit strong.

Just read yesterday where Jon Mirasty had a tough go of it after retiring a few years ago. Bought a Tim Horton's but was forced to sell it after 4 months as he couldn't handle the stress. Weight dropped from 225 to 175. He now has a business where he runs a ranch and breaks wild horses. He says he was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and it's not related to his fighting for so many years..................time will tell. :(

Hockey tough guy forced to sell Tim Hortons franchise due to health issues

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is sad to hear.

He got some of his first chances in the Islanders organization. Hopefully he’s able to recover.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Glad to see that he's getting time and the support to deal with whatever issues he's going through. Whatever else one might say about him, Haley does what is asked of him for his team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
When someone recently pointed out that he’s not listed on our roster on the team site I was thinking it’d be our luck that he’s having concussions issues/cte and night sue the team/league or something. Idk if all that’ll happen but sounds like it could be head trauma related. Which is really unfortunate. He dropped the gloves almost every game he played it seemed, he tried hard to play his role but it has nasty reprocussions and while fights are good to see I can live without them if it means sparing the effects it has on the players. They don’t need to beat each other up for our enjoyment.

I’m all about having a deterrent on the ice but it makes things difficult when you see what happens to these guys.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Actually happened to read this article earlier in the week. It's a long article, but really, really good. It's about Joe Murphy, a former number one overall pick by the Red Wings. He is now homeless in Kenora Ontario. In the article it is sickening that Gary Bettman denies the link between fighting / concussions and CTE. It shouldn't matter how much money it costs the NHL, people's lives are at stake here and they need help. Serious help before people, more people, start dying.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...murphy-homeless-detroit-red-wings/1565171002/

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Well the argument of Bettman and the owners being responsible is rather baseless since the players themselves are causing the concussions. I think that the league and PA should include in the CBA that the players need to waive their rights to any lawsuits concerning concussions by accepting that it's a dangerous sport and they are very well aware of this aspect by accepting this fact upon signing a player contract. You can't argue that the league isn't doing anything to reduce brain injuries but you could argue that the league isn't doing enough to prevent it. It's a double edged sword: ppl want violence in the game but at the same time they don't. How much is enough? What sort of violence i.e. physicality is too much? When you can't set the exact definition for it in the NHL then you can't expect exactly sufficient actions.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Well the argument of Bettman and the owners being responsible is rather baseless since the players themselves are causing the concussions. I think that the league and PA should include in the CBA that the players need to waive their rights to any lawsuits concerning concussions by accepting that it's a dangerous sport and they are very well aware of this aspect by accepting this fact upon signing a player contract. You can't argue that the league isn't doing anything to reduce brain injuries but you could argue that the league isn't doing enough to prevent it. It's a double edged sword: ppl want violence in the game but at the same time they don't. How much is enough? What sort of violence i.e. physicality is too much? When you can't set the exact definition for it in the NHL then you can't expect exactly sufficient actions.

Thanks for your 'thoughts.' Is a roofer no longer insured because they slip and fall off a roof?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad