Michalek vs Tukonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kasparov said:
Michalek in NHL first. Michalek better overall IMO.

That comment doesn't make much sense. Michalek was drafted before Tukonen, hence he had the chance to be in the NHL first. If they were drafted in the same year, chances are both would be playing at the same time. Tukonen is said to be one of the most NHL ready prospects to come out of the draft. I think they will both have very similar careers. I think it would just be a matter of preference. Wait until both have actually played at the NHL level before you try to compare them.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kritty said:
That comment doesn't make much sense. Michalek was drafted before Tukonen, hence he had the chance to be in the NHL first. If they were drafted in the same year, chances are both would be playing at the same time. Tukonen is said to be one of the most NHL ready prospects to come out of the draft. I think they will both have very similar careers. I think it would just be a matter of preference. Wait until both have actually played at the NHL level before you try to compare them.

Myself I am a big Michalek fan. I however am nota big Tukonen fan. I don' think he will be as good as some think he will be IMO.

Kasparov*

Kritty said:

Okay Einstein, he ASKED who is more NHL ready right now, and the answer is Michalek. So it makes perfect sense. Btw what you think, is great, yunno... but, wait before they play in the NHL to compare them? this is HOCKEYSFUTURE MESSAGE BOARDS! We like to speculate and state our opinions, especially since theres no NHL at the current time. Theres nothing wrong with comparing prospects, not a thing, considering this is the prospects section of the board, on a site dedicated to prospects... please think before you post next time. Thank you.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Both will play in the NHL, but I see Michalek as a sure-fire first line winger in this league, whereas I look at Tukonen and see anything from a first liner to a third liner.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Kasparov said:
Okay Einstein, he ASKED who is more NHL ready right now, and the answer is Michalek. So it makes perfect sense. Btw what you think, is great, yunno... but, wait before they play in the NHL to compare them? this is HOCKEYSFUTURE MESSAGE BOARDS! We like to speculate and state our opinions, especially since theres no NHL at the current time. Theres nothing wrong with comparing prospects, not a thing, considering this is the prospects section of the board, on a site dedicated to prospects... please think before you post next time. Thank you.

not sure wat the author meant, but he could have meant "who will be in the nhl quicker relative to their draft years". in which case, i think both will hit the nhl at about the same time relative tot heir draft years.

guitaraholic*

a quick show of hands from those who have offered their opinions on these players: how many times have any of you seen them play, if at all?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kasparov said:

He also asked who would make a bigger impact in the NHL. And yes, he did play in the NHL first, but for only 2 games. If that's saying "he'll make the NHL quicker" then... gosh, we have a lot of people who have made the NHL but are currently "ruling" the ECHL, DEL, or some other leagues.

So before you get condescending, belligerent, and just plain smarmy, do some of your own thinking before you tell others to do the same.

As for who will "make" the NHL first and have the biggest impact, I don't know enough about Michalek to make that judgment.

guitaraholic*

Jay Thompson said:
Both will play in the NHL, but I see Michalek as a sure-fire first line winger in this league, whereas I look at Tukonen and see anything from a first liner to a third liner.

that's an incredibly authoritative response, Jay. you've clearly seen both of these guys play extensively, right?

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
a quick show of hands from those who have offered their opinions on these players: how many times have any of you seen them play, if at all?

Agree, you have to like these guys so opinionated about players they have never seen or seen a highlight or 2 on. Some could use a nap imo.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
He also asked who would make a bigger impact in the NHL. And yes, he did play in the NHL first, but for only 2 games. If that's saying "he'll make the NHL quicker" then... gosh, we have a lot of people who have made the NHL but are currently "ruling" the ECHL, DEL, or some other leagues.

So before you get condescending, belligerent, and just plain smarmy, do some of your own thinking before you tell others to do the same.

As for who will "make" the NHL first and have the biggest impact, I don't know enough about Michalek to make that judgment.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Kasparov what makes you the be all end all expert when it comes to opinions? You're jumping all over me and saying I shouldn't make comments when people are just giving opinions, well what are you doing? Taking this big stance and name calling just because you have a problem with what people have said.

You're telling me to think before I post? Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Read your original post. "Michalek to NHL first. Michalek better overall" Understandable that you feel Michalek is the better overall. But a comment like that tells me that you equate the first one to the NHL being the better of the two.

And the fact that Michalek is playing in the NHL (his all of 2 games) doesn't prove squat about who is more NHL ready. As I said, which you obviously didn't read since you were too busy trying to rip me up, Tukonen was just drafted. If there were a season this year he would quite possibly be playing, just like Michalek. I find it quite comical who you consider the minor amount of time spent in the NHL by Michalek to put him miles ahead of Tukonen in development. Nice reasoning.

Calling people names and trying to be this big man by blowing up at someone is your way to feel good about yourself, great, good for you. Some of us are capable of mature posts to back up our own convictions. We don't have to judge people.

guitaraholic*

guitaraholic said:
that's an incredibly authoritative response, Jay. you've clearly seen both of these guys play extensively, right?

again, i'm just looking for a straight answer from the people in this thread who have stated their opinions on these players: how many times have you seen them play? If I don't get a response I'll just assume the question is being avoided so you guys don't embarrass yourselves by being forced to admit you've never seen them play but somehow feel like your opinions are valid nonetheless. So, again, a show of hands from those who have responded, how many times have you seen them play? I'm sure asking this in such a challenging fashion to a moderator will get me banned but that's alright. Someone has to start calling people out on this stuff, might as well be me.

X-SHARKIE

I've seen Michalek at the WJC's in Winter of 2002, I've seen him twice this past season in the NHL and once at the AHL level, and a game of his for the Czechs U-18 team vs Canada.

I've seen Tukonen this past year at the WJC's.

I like Tukonen...don't get me wrong, but this is a slam dunk for Michalek....Michalek is likely the 3rd player picked in 2004 if he was in this draft year. He can do it all, He's big and strong, competitive, great skater with elite acceleration, he's got a long reach, a hard shot, very creative, very very smart, doesn't hurt his team, works hard, I mean I could go on.......and his scoring touch seems to showing it's self...He can score some highlight goals , and every time at the junior level he was giving 1st line time he really responed....I think when given the green light he really turns his offensive game up...but in the Czech elite league were he was a defensive forward, his numbers weren't there and people were alarmed.

As long as the Sharks continue to take it slow this time around and don't rush him back, he'll be a good one.

Tukonen has many similarities with Michalek though.

How Tukonen fell past a guy like Wheeler really caught me off gaurd though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Michalek - 3 major knee surgeries.

Tukonen - None to my knowledge.

I'll take Tukonen.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:
Would you take Tukonen over Tuomo Ruutu then just because Ruutu had two surgery.

Marian Hossa, Preist Holmes ring a bell>?

It depends on how one perceives the risk and the reward. Both parts must be assessed thoroughly. Obviously, the better the possible reward you perceive, the more risks you are probably willing to take.

If someone thinks much higher of Ruutu than Michalek, he might be able to swallow a couple more operations sticking with the guy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Would you take Tukonen over Tuomo Ruutu then just because Ruutu had two surgery.

Marian Hossa, Preist Holmes ring a bell>?

Btw....It was two surgery's. Not three.
Yeah, because Ruutu has put his surgeries behind him with a full season in the NHL. And another huge difference is that Ruutu never missed whole seasons because of rehabbing, his surgeries only took out chunks of his development time. Plus, Ruutu is just way, way better than Michalek.

By my count, it's 3. He had surgery 2 games into the season, came back to the AHL and reinjured it, needed more surgeries. That's 2. Recently, they found out the cadaver ligament was infected and will need more surgery. I'm no mathematician, but that's 3 surgeries by my count.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
guitaraholic said:

Yea...we get it...you like to call people out. Try posting something more constructive now.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
guitaraholic said:
again, i'm just looking for a straight answer from the people in this thread who have stated their opinions on these players: how many times have you seen them play? If I don't get a response I'll just assume the question is being avoided so you guys don't embarrass yourselves by being forced to admit you've never seen them play but somehow feel like your opinions are valid nonetheless. So, again, a show of hands from those who have responded, how many times have you seen them play? I'm sure asking this in such a challenging fashion to a moderator will get me banned but that's alright. Someone has to start calling people out on this stuff, might as well be me.

i seen michalek a few times at prospect scrimmages. i think he's good and will be nhl ready in a few years or so.

tuk i never seen and am going off of scouts reports. so as i said, i think they'll both be ready at about the same time. nothing too authoritative, just an opinion of mine :dunno:

kdazzad

Oct 5, 2004
Michalek. Tukonen is overhyped. He has some talent, but hasn't got the mind to step up for the next level, this thou just my biased opinion

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
X-SHARKIE said:
I've seen Michalek at the WJC's in Winter of 2002, I've seen him twice this past season in the NHL and once at the AHL level, and a game of his for the Czechs U-18 team vs Canada.

I've seen Tukonen this past year at the WJC's.

I like Tukonen...don't get me wrong, but this is a slam dunk for Michalek....Michalek is likely the 3rd player picked in 2004 if he was in this draft year. He can do it all, He's big and strong, competitive, great skater with elite acceleration, he's got a long reach, a hard shot, very creative, very very smart, doesn't hurt his team, works hard, I mean I could go on.......and his scoring touch seems to showing it's self...He can score some highlight goals , and every time at the junior level he was giving 1st line time he really responed....I think when given the green light he really turns his offensive game up...but in the Czech elite league were he was a defensive forward, his numbers weren't there and people were alarmed.

As long as the Sharks continue to take it slow this time around and don't rush him back, he'll be a good one.

Tukonen has many similarities with Michalek though.

How Tukonen fell past a guy like Wheeler really caught me off gaurd though.

Sharkie, I respect your opinion, so I will ask you, where does Michalek fit in on the Sharks? Who do you see him playing with? And what are you expecting from his first full NHL season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad