Michalek signs extension - 3yrs $4m per

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
I keep saying this but no one seems to echo my sentiments: whenever he wasn't playing with Spezza I found Michalek to be better. The two never seemed to be a natural fit and Milan has underrated vision which he seldom had the opportunity to showoff.

I agree. Michalek's game has always clashed with Spezza's. Michalek plays a speed game that requires getting up the ice quickly. Spezza, on the other hand, likes to take his time as he dipsy-doodles through the neutral zone, forcing Michalek to slow down at the blue line and giving defenders time to hone in on him. Completely ill-suited. Even in his 35-goal season, both he and Spezza had better GF/GA rates when apart than when together,

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
It's easy to forget that Milan also won the Sens' skills competition speed skating. Probably safe to say his knees are fine for now.

I don't think it's safe to say anything of the sort. He's had chronic knee issues for the past 5 years and winning a skating competition doesn't magic them better.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I don't think it's safe to say anything of the sort. He's had chronic knee issues for the past 5 years and winning a skating competition doesn't magic them better.

I wouldn't call having knee issues, having surgery and then playing in all 82 games to be having chronic knee issues. He had chronic knee issues.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
When I look around at what GMs paid NHL scrubs yesterday, I feel better about this contract.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Milan ****ing Michalek!! 39 points in 82 games and a -25! Love this move! :sarcasm:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'd rather have 9MM at 4 mil a season then Pouliot for sure. 9MM adds alot more to a team.

I agree, and am curious to see what he can do with a different center, try and get some chemistry with someone else who is more physically talented than Spezza.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Wow, I didn't realize he played all 82 this past year. Despite that, I predict he's a healthy scratch half the time in year three, if he doesn't get bought out before then. I like the guy, but he's not nearly as fast as he was before the knee injury.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Wow, I didn't realize he played all 82 this past year. Despite that, I predict he's a healthy scratch half the time in year three, if he doesn't get bought out before then. I like the guy, but he's not nearly as fast as he was before the knee injury.

He was skating as well as ever in the back half of the season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, you might be right as I don't know enough about Guptill and Paul. But on the surface you have to agree that we didn't get full value for Spezza, while at the time we paid full price for Ryan. It wasn't just me, it was pretty much a consensus opinion that we paid a heavy price for Ryan.

We've had discussions on this before. But BM seems to be a bad negotiator. He almost never rips off the other GM. You need those kind of deals to get ahead in the NHL. Burke seems to be really good at that.

Nope, I am not qualified to go farther in the discussion.

Perceived value is something that lies in the opinions of random posters on a message board. That has nothing to do with reality, hence why so many of you are just blinded by your hatred. Bryan Murray is a "bad negotiator" is something that is impossible to say as a hockey fan. Only NHL GMs would have a better idea about this.

Consensus opinions, I don't care about that. I don't see how the Spezza deal is any different than the Ryan deal...

FACTS

Silfverberg 100 20 22 42
Chiasson 86 19 23 42

Same numbers, Silf has played 14 more games but wasn't on the Sens 4th line and didn't have to deal with mono in the middle of the season.

Noesen vs Gutpill

Gutpill has higher potential (1st line potential while Noesen has 2nd line potential but most likely 3rd line potential). Both have huge bust factors (Noesen and injury issues for exemple) but boom factor is bigger for Gutpill.

Paul and a 2nd in on the greatest drafts in a while. Sens apparently insisted on Paul, they might think he is a late bloomer (only 19 y/o though)

vs

a 1st round pick in one of the weakest drafts in a while. Pick ended up giving a bit more value to the Ducks because the Sens underperformed but we all thought it was more going to be around 15th overall (many here thought it was going to be a late 1st though).

Spezza is a great offensive player but is 31 y/o and had only 1 year left on his contract. It was also clear that we weren't going to re-sign him, mutual agreement

Ryan is 26 y/o and had already 4 seasons over 30 goals. Identified to be part of this core moving forward. Had 2 years left cheaper than Spezza.

Tell me again?

We have cap space for what exactly ? Melnyk doesn't want to spend money on good players, just waste it on mediocre players like Michalek. Unfortunately for Karl, he's stuck with us for awhile. Ryan ain't going to resign at the end of the year with how this team is run lol !

You can whine 24/7 about this but it won't change a thing. Only thing you can do is help the Sens financially. Do you have money?

I don't think fans are frustrated at not being in on DE.

Moulson signed a deal we should have been able to beat. Ehrhoff was pretty much exactly what we needed and we weren't in the running.

Having lots of cap space is absolutely useless if you don't have the ability to use it.

If I wasn't a Sens fan, I probably wouldn't want to play here as well

Highest taxes, expansion team from 20 years ago, ****** weather summer/winter, small city, fanbase expectations not in line with reality, crappy media, scapegoating, outcheered in the building by 2 biggest rivals, budget team, etc.

Murray says Michalek was offered more money and 2 years longer and turned it down to sign here.

What are you talking about? Murray is the worst GM. It's impossible that somebody would pay Michalek more and for longer.

Love how people are upset a guy wants to play here. Talk about backwards logic. Hemsky's stats Post 09 are very weak for a top 6er, and the guy hasn't even ever reached 25 goals once. Milan may not be a game breaker but given the fact he kills penalties and goes to the net with authority makes his value worth keeping on this team.

haha funny when you think of it. Ottawa fanbase want nothing short of the best players in the league! And even, I hope for EK's sake that he doesn't have a bad season at some point...

That being said, Michalek has a 25 goals pace per 82 games with Ottawa.

The fact he produced very well once Hemsky showed up should reassure people

He can still produce as a top 6 player but, unsurprisingly, he needs the proper support because he isn't a star player

I keep saying this but no one seems to echo my sentiments: whenever he wasn't playing with Spezza I found Michalek to be better. The two never seemed to be a natural fit and Milan has underrated vision which he seldom had the opportunity to showoff.

Agreed, he was stapled to Spezza to finish his plays, but in reality, Michalek was originally a much better playmaker than goal scorer. Still was able to produce 25 g / 82 g in a Sens uni, which is pretty good for a 4.0 guy. Of course, like any player, has to stay healthy

Milan ****ing Michalek!! 39 points in 82 games and a -25! Love this move! :sarcasm:

To be honest, nothing this team could do that would make a bunch of you happy. You're the dudes that were complaining that Matt Carkner was overpaid at 700 000$. Or just look at MacArthur signing last year.

WhiteLight*

Statistically and visually (???) a horrible player last year.

I'd rather have Jussi Jokinen at 6 than Michalek 4

It was time to cut the ties. but no surprise this happened

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Statistically and visually (???) a horrible player last year.

I'd rather have Jussi Jokinen at 6 than Michalek 4

It was time to cut the ties. but no surprise this happened

I'd rather Crosby at 8.7. Damn Murray really dropped the ball on that one.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wait a second, does Michaleks contract really include a limited ntc because according to capgeek, it does.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If BM can sign Legwand, he would make up for some of the scoring lost with Spezza gone & create a decent 2nd line with Chaisson & Michalek. A 3rd line of Hoffman, Zibanejad & Stone could also add more scoring to the offence.

I assume that when Lehner signs that will take Ottawa above the cap floor & I would assume that Legwand would not get more than around $3 to $4 mil, if that. BM should sign both Legwand & Vrbada & place Condra on buy out waivers & send Pageau back to Bingo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad