Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Did not realize McNiven was AHL bound next year. That's great. Hopefully we will have Lindgren or McNiven filling that back up spot in a couple years.

Goalies are not as valued as other positions, but good depth is good depth.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Did not realize McNiven was AHL bound next year. That's great. Hopefully we will have Lindgren or McNiven filling that back up spot in a couple years.

Not sure where you get this info from?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

My guess is he meant goalies aren't valued as highly when it comes to trades. Obviously a guy like Price or Holtby is valued highly but as the trade market for goalies have shown teams won't pay up for a starting goalie the same way they would for a top pairing defenseman or winger.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My guess is he meant goalies aren't valued as highly when it comes to trades. Obviously a guy like Price or Holtby is valued highly but as the trade market for goalies have shown teams won't pay up for a starting goalie the same way they would for a top pairing defenseman or winger.

Yes, thank you, that is what I meant.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I hope Lindgren AND McNiven become desirable trade bait one day. The problem is, is goalies tend not to have high trade value, unless NHL proven.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Imagine we developed/found centers with as much success as we do goalies?

Lol

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sucks that he finished his OHL career on that blowout....but the guy had to be freakin exhausted.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal

Lol

I wish. Funny how that works though, even across multiple eras with a rotating cast of management/development teams. And then there are the franchises who have the opposite problem. It's strange.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

1.) Goalies hold less trade value than players of equivalent skill/impact at another position

2.) The variance between a good goalie and a great goalie is quite small compared to, say, a good center and a great center.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's in Laval next year?

He turns 20 in July so he could always go back to Owen Sound for a forth year. He's still eligible for the WJHC too if I'm not mistaken. It depends on if there's a spot for him with one of our affiliate, I'd want him to play a lot, wherever he goes.

Aug 25, 2009
éal

At this point, the best scenario might be that Las Vegas take Montoya and we can have Lindgren backing up Price and Fucale / McNiven sharing duties in the AHL

I'm also skeptical about Fucale but he keep winning in the ECHL, he can stay there forever.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At this point, the best scenario might be that Las Vegas take Montoya and we can have Lindgren backing up Price and Fucale / McNiven sharing duties in the AHL

I'm also skeptical about Fucale but he keep winning in the ECHL, he can stay there forever.

AT one point, there's nothign that suggest that it won't be again a "battle" between Lindgren and Montoya for the backup job. If Lindgren is ready, he's ready. Bergevin might not like to give a rookie the backup job but at one point, if at worst you need to build some value, it's in the NHL, not the AHL. So maybe it will turn out to be about putting Montoya on waivers, maybe another team picks him...and you go Price/Lindgren with McNiven/Fucale.

Still.....maybe it would be McNiven's turn to go in the ECHL. That might not be that bad for him, I don't think. So we could stick with Montoya, Lindgren/Fucale in the AHL, McNiven in the ECHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He turns 20 in July so he could always go back to Owen Sound for a forth year. He's still eligible for the WJHC too if I'm not mistaken. It depends on if there's a spot for him with one of our affiliate, I'd want him to play a lot, wherever he goes.

You can't turn 20 before Jan 1st to play in the WJC's.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

With Fleury/Murray, Bernier, Reimer, Bishop, Howard/Mzarek, and Greiss/halak available, we're not losing Montoya.

Jul 6, 2016

Lol

Maybe Habs could trade one of their goalies to Philadelphia for one of their centermen.... Both teams have hard time finding what the other team has in abundance, since years.

McNiven + Habs 1st for Philly 1st pick (2nd overall) would be sweat... Patrick or Hischier would be ours.

Last edited:

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Maybe Habs could trade one of their goalies to Philadelphia for one of their centermen.... Both teams have hard time finding what the other team has in abundance, since years.

McNiven + Habs 1st for Philly 1st pick (2nd overall) would be sweat... Patrick or Hischier would be ours.
Good heavens no. There is a huge chasm in value between #2 OV and #22 OV and you don't bridge that gap with a junior goalie. Not even remotely close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad