Recalled/Assigned: Michael McCarron Clears Waivers (Assigned to Laval)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Like Gustav Olofsson last week, McCarron placed on waivers means he's cleared to play. Hopefully he clears because he can be a big boost for Laval.

Before his injury last year, he was playing his best hockey since turning pro with the Rocket.

Reactions: habsfan891

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I hope he isn't claimed another year with Bouchard could turn him into a solid nhl player with as much as he improved before injury last year.

Reactions: hey

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I still hold hope for Mike. Montreal said he was great last year so I say he still has value. Lets hope he sticks and carves out a 4th line role because this team could use him for sure.

Yup, I've always had a soft spot for him.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
hope he clears as he would be a welcome add for Laval although maybe he wouldn't play till the Monday game or the following as you don't want to rush him back.

Exactly. And Bouchard will most likely want him to get some practices with the team first.

I expect Olofsson to play this Saturday in Norfolk.

Reactions: Tyson

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Another first rounder, just blowin in the wind
But, but but, MB had one good summer, just last year....

I guess, there is just no holding MB accountable for anything...6-7 years of this guy trying to crack the lineup....poor drafting, or poor development? Or both....waiting for MB to blame Timmins on this one...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But, but but, MB had one good summer, just last year....

I guess, there is just no holding MB accountable for anything...6-7 years of this guy trying to crack the lineup....poor drafting, or poor development? Or both....waiting for MB to blame Timmins on this one...

for McCarron it's everyone involved, he was a reach 25th, although the guy I thought they were taking hasn't done much better in Zykov. He was raw and should have gone the NCAA route to get the extra years, he needed to work on his skating, balance, conditioning, things he should have started sooner. He should have never been rushed to the NHL at 20, he was handled poorly by Lefebevre, as he had ECHLers as wingers 2 years ago. So everyone involved shares some blame here.

That said the one guy he gets comped to the most is Boyle, as you don't see that many 6'6 forwards. Boyle went the NCAA route and didn't become a regular in the NHL till he was 25 and didn't break out till he was 26 going from 6 pts at age 25 to over 20 goals at age 26. McCarron lost almost a year of development to injury and now he's in his age 24 season. I wouldn't write him off just yet as bigger guys take longer to adjust to their size. He's improved his skating and balance, things he badly need to do. Perhaps he'll spend the year in Laval hopefully staying healthy and then makes the team next year as 4th liner or even as a spare forward.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Another in a long list of 1st round picks down the toilet. "In Timmins we trust" lol remember when posters had that under their avatar?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'm sure he'll clear, his pick was a bad overreaction to that Ottawa series but maybe he can still become a fringe 4th liner

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I'm sure he'll clear, his pick was a bad overreaction to that Ottawa series but maybe he can still become a fringe 4th liner
How do we know that the pick was made with SUCH short hindsight? I mean honestly. You never pick a guy because of 1 series out of the 20+ series that player may play and the possible 0 that they may play against that exact team again. Smh.

McCarran was like so many other later 1st round picks. Didn't make it. He was picked because he displayed size and talent. Two things EVERY TEAM WANTS/NEEDS. They didn't think he's be there later and the other guys may be so they grabbed him. The Ottawa series had 0 to do with this man's potential 20 year pro career. 1/4 of it being possible he never plays, 1/4 of it being in the AHL forever, 1/4 traded, 1/4 of it possibly somewhere in the Montreal lineup.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
for McCarron it's everyone involved, he was a reach 25th, although the guy I thought they were taking hasn't done much better in Zykov. He was raw and should have gone the NCAA route to get the extra years, he needed to work on his skating, balance, conditioning, things he should have started sooner. He should have never been rushed to the NHL at 20, he was handled poorly by Lefebevre, as he had ECHLers as wingers 2 years ago. So everyone involved shares some blame here.

That said the one guy he gets comped to the most is Boyle, as you don't see that many 6'6 forwards. Boyle went the NCAA route and didn't become a regular in the NHL till he was 25 and didn't break out till he was 26 going from 6 pts at age 25 to over 20 goals at age 26. McCarron lost almost a year of development to injury and now he's in his age 24 season. I wouldn't write him off just yet as bigger guys take longer to adjust to their size. He's improved his skating and balance, things he badly need to do. Perhaps he'll spend the year in Laval hopefully staying healthy and then makes the team next year as 4th liner or even as a spare forward.

I thought Tinordi, McCarron and Leblanc all should have gone/stayed NCAA. The first two for physical reasons as you outline, Leblanc because I think he was more comfortable in/suited to a campus setting.

Reactions: montreal

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

So blame everyone except for McCarron. Would he be any better if he had played the last five years on Sydney Crosby's wing?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
200.gif

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Hope he’s not claimed. I think with another year of actually being coached, the kid can thrive. I wouldn’t bet against him, he’s been close a few times and that was with Bargain Bins Brainless Buddy Botching his Breakouts.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I doubt he gets claimed with the lack of exposure during training camp. I'd be surprised if GMs kept tabs on him to find out that he improved his game and skating in the last year or so. His injury last year certainly helps him squeezing through the cracks.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Man I really wish this guy pans out at least as a decent bottom sixer. We could really use his size and maybe even put him as a screen on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad