The Star: Michael Hutchinson is saving the day for the Avalanche — and making Leafs fans realize...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Michael Hutchinson is saving the day for the Avalanche — and making Leafs fans realize maybe he wasn’t the problem

Michael Hutchinson is saving the day for the Avalanche — and making Leafs fans realize maybe he wasn’t the problem

If you were to create a list of unlikely heroes for the Stanley Cup playoffs, Michael Hutchinson’s name would probably be at the top of it.

Given the year he had with the Maple Leafs, the mere idea that he’d be the Avalanche’s go-to netminder in Friday’s Game 7 against the Dallas Stars would seem ludicrous.

And to think that he’d be 2-0 in elimination games in the playoffs — a third-stringer jumping in when Dallas had a 3-1 series lead, was in seeming control and Colorado had no other choice — well, what alternate universe would you be inhabiting?

But here we are.

“A lot of hockey is being in the right place at the right time,” said Hutchinson. “And being able to take advantage of certain opportunities as they come up. Everything going on with the bubble, it’s absurd and surreal at the same time.

“It’s one of those things that happens. For myself, I’ve been able to play quite a few NHL games, practise with teams for a few years. I always felt my game was in a place where if I got an opportunity, I could be successful.”

Counting regular season, playoffs and a relief appearance, Hutchinson is 3-0 as a member of the Avalanche, with a 1.59 GAA and .940 save percentage, and the team has full confidence in him with its season in the balance.

“I had no doubts,” said Colorado star Nathan MacKinnon. “When he came from Toronto, he played really well for us. We had no reason to believe he wouldn’t play well. He hasn’t played for a while, but he was looking great in practice, working hard, great training camp.

“It’s not easy for him. The composure he had. He’s a big guy, takes up a lot of room. He’s definitely stepped up.”

If you’re a Leafs fan, maybe you’ll have to consider that perhaps Hutchinson wasn’t the problem.

In Toronto, Hutchinson went 4-9-1 with a 3.66 GAA and .886 save percentage. Out of the 64 goalies who’d played at least 10 games, his save percentage was the 63rd best by the time the Leafs traded him to Colorado for defenceman Calle Rosen.

He hasn’t lost as an Av, winning the only regular-season game he played prior to the coronavirus pandemic-induced pause, and now stepping in for injured Pavel Francouz, who’d stepped in for the injured Philipp Grubauer.

So what’s the difference?

“It’s two different teams,” says former goalie Martin Biron. “Two different situations. When Hutchinson was with the Leafs, a lot of times, that was a back-to-back situation. The team did not do great in front of him.
“Now he’s in the playoffs with Colorado. And as far as his first game, it was 5-0 before he could blink. For a goalie, that feels great. You don’t have to put so much pressure (on yourself). Then he wins, then he adopts the position: ‘Hey, let’s go have fun.’

“Then he plays really well in Game 6. The mental approach changes.”

Digging deeper, Hutchinson saved 78.8 per cent of shots deemed to be highly dangerous as a Leaf, and 88.4 per cent of the ones deemed highly dangerous as an Avalanche, according to naturalstattrick.com.
If the difference is largely the team in front of the goalie, Biron says, then the Leafs would be wise to think twice about moving starter Frederik Andersen, as has been rumoured lately.

“I cannot believe the Leafs would be looking at acquiring a different goalie than Frederik Andersen,” said Biron. “The guy has save their ass more than once. They play a very entertaining style of hockey, but I do believe the Grade A chances the Leafs give up are A-plus, plus, plus, and he’s had to save the day. That’s a tough place to be as a goaltender.

Reactions: OddyOh and hn777

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I think the majority of fans realize that the defense is the actual problem. Andersen is a good goalie.

The reason why I think they're trying to trade him is because;
A) His record in game seven is simply not good enough, he's had 4 shots at it with us now.
B) Hes due for a raise next year and it won't be with the Leafs - if we can nab a goalie of similar talent with less $$$ and more term then we'd be dumb not too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the majority of fans realize that the defense is the actual problem. Andersen is a good goalie.

The reason why I think they're trying to trade him is because;
A) His record in game seven is simply not good enough, he's had 4 shots at it with us now.
B) Hes due for a raise next year and it won't be with the Leafs - if we can nab a goalie of similar talent with less $$$ and more term then we'd be dumb not too.
That's this thread.
Out of the Loop: Why is Everywhere Talking like Andersen is Going?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Hutch is a third string goalie and is lucky to be playing (only because the two goalies in front of him are hurt). Hutch has had his opportunities not just here but in other markets as well. I guess they also made the same mistake? Every dog has their day, it just happens to be his. Wait to see what happens in the off season. Then let's see what this reporter from the Toronto Star says.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Eh, he’s not saving the day by performing like an average backup. The Avalanche are a pretty stacked team and play a tighter game than the Leafs. Andersen would probably be vezina caliber on that roster. He was the problem in that he wasn’t good enough to mask our defensive short comings and Campbell is a better fit for doing so. Some goalies are better when peppered with large quantities of shots while others are not. It’s really hard to know what you have, but it wasn’t hard to know he wasn’t a fit with the Leafs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Avs are so much better team than Stars it is a joke. Hutch is not being relied on for much. But good for him. Ayers 2.0.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I mean, Biron isn't wrong about all the primo chances the Leafs give up with their defensive breakdowns....

But I think that says more about how quality a starter Andersen is than anything about Hutchinson.

His numbers in Toronto were orders of magnitude worse than Freddy's while playing with the same team in front.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Common denominator was Babdick wrt backup goalies and tearing them down.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
“I cannot believe the Leafs would be looking at acquiring a different goalie than Frederik Andersen,” said Biron. “The guy has save their ass more than once. They play a very entertaining style of hockey, but I do believe the Grade A chances the Leafs give up are A-plus, plus, plus, and he’s had to save the day. That’s a tough place to be as a goaltender.

Truer words have never been spoken! Leafs defensive game as a team and D-core is a JOKE!

People blaming Freddy do not understand hockey!

I cannot wait till Dubas is fired. I hope it is soon before he damages the team any more

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Truer words have never been spoken! Leafs defensive game as a team and D-core is a JOKE!

People blaming Freddy do not understand hockey!

I cannot wait till Dubas is fired. I hope it is soon before he damages the team any more

Freddy in elimination games and his playoff softies are also an issue. He was also terrible this regular season.

If we can up grade, why not.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Freddy in elimination games and his playoff softies are also an issue. He was also terrible this regular season.

If we can up grade, why not.

Look at the cap space we have; how are we going to acquire an upgrade on Freddy and still manage to ice a 23 man "competent" roster? Why would another team trade a better goalie than Freddy to us for Freddy without solid adds by Leafs to the trade?

No goalie in their right mind is "willingly" going to want to play in front of Toronto defense (D-core and team defense).

Forwards are soft, do not play the boards (forwards+Defense), do not back-check, do not get in the lane to block shots, etc....

Leafs are built on EA sports philosophy and it is not going to work.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He sucked for us. Guy couldn't focus which usually means he isn't there mentally (for some reason personal or other). Tenders sometimes need a kick in the pants like being traded to dial back in. May be the case here. Who cares though,

Reactions: smitty10

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No he was the problem. Had the worst stretch of his career so it wasn't all he would ever be do but he sucked long and hard here.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad