Michael Grabner

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
No one's going to claim him. I think the fact that he wasn't traded during the draft makes it pretty obvious that there's no sufficient interest in him around the league. He's here to stay so I suggest the Islanders use him.

I think someone would claim him, they just didn't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
Say whatever you want but i still do not understand why is he so underused. He is a player who can score coming from nowhere, and that's very important when you can not generate chances, he is an unique player who brings something different. I missed him against Washington in the final game. The problem here is that Capuano does not like him and is very obvious. I remember when some of us we thought he had a better future than Okposo three or four years ago, i am guilty!

McBertos

Jun 24, 2015
Teltow
I like what Grabner brings on the table despite of injuries.

He has speed and I like his PK game. Yes, he needs to play better, he needs to score more on breakaways and puck moving but I would give him a try next season. His value couldn't be lower at the moment. If he bounces back solid (idk 20-25 pts until January) then you can trade him weeks before trade deadline for a 2nd/3rd round pick or a veteran player for a run.
If it is not working next season you can put him on waivers or dump him for late-round pick.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I think someone would claim him, they just didn't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

What information do you have that makes you think he will not have his speed after he heals up from this latest surgery?
Even when he was hurting puppy when he got back, we still saw flashes of it on a few occasions, one in particular. But the other hernia was killing him so he skated average. I don't think his career as a very fast skater is done. healing from hernia surgery is not usually that long (I have had two of them, 2 months apart). You heal, you get strong, everything else is the same as it was. Grabner has freakish speed. If Garth can not find a buyer, we will play him. It is a contract year. Imagine he has a season like his first, 34 goals.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
IF he is 100% this year, this guy definitely has a roster spot in my book. Rarely can one non-superstar player completely change how the opposition plays defense, and grabner is one of those guys. Top 3 fastest players in the league and excellent on the PK, why wouldn't we want this guy around?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Key with Grabner is rest. Staple confirmed another surgery this summer. Even if he is ready to go by opening night, I'd prefer to stay cautious and maybe even use the mysterious NYI IR spot and give Grabs an extra couple of months to hopefully regain his game changing speed.

There are worse players to be "stuck" with.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Personally grabs is an awesome guy. He does stuff like the tweet above, and hangs out at the Marriott after games and has a drink with fans and signs autographs and takes pictures.

On the ice, he's just frustrating as hell to watch. That first year with us he was so damn good, now he just seems to play in spurts and then even when he's flying out there he can hardly ever finish. We dont really have too many guys that compliment his style of play either. I'm sure other GM's and scouts see it as well and thats why there's really no trade market for the guy. I feel like after this year, he'll wind up over in Europe and probably set the world on fire there and finish out his career there.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
That first year with us he was so damn good, now he just seems to play in spurts and then even when he's flying out there he can hardly ever finish.
That simply is not true. Outside of one mediocre season Grabner has always delivered on his scoring promise. See this post as a reference. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=102187715&postcount=279

The only thing really hampering his on ice performance staying consistent is his health. It is a very simple analysis with Grabner. If he is 100% healthy he can most certainly help the Islanders. If he is not - and 90% is not enough - he cannot.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
I miss the times when he had a breakaway chance every game, even if he missed the 90% of the chances.

The thing here is, in my opinion, that Capuano does not like him at all. So a player who can't stay healthy and a coach who is not his biggest fan.. it usually does not work out.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
That simply is not true. Outside of one mediocre season Grabner has always delivered on his scoring promise. See this post as a reference. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=102187715&postcount=279

The only thing really hampering his on ice performance staying consistent is his health. It is a very simple analysis with Grabner. If he is 100% healthy he can most certainly help the Islanders. If he is not - and 90% is not enough - he cannot.

2 year ago a really startling article surfaced (maybe someone can post a link?) that grabner was 2nd in the nhl for ES goals/60 over the last 4 years or something like that (often playing few and hard minutes with bad teammates). Grabner also consistently had a high shooting % in his time with the isles.

I know what posters mean with grabner not finishing, but due to the quality of the chances he creates he ends up scoring above average, at least when healthy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Personally grabs is an awesome guy. He does stuff like the tweet above, and hangs out at the Marriott after games and has a drink with fans and signs autographs and takes pictures.

On the ice, he's just frustrating as hell to watch. That first year with us he was so damn good, now he just seems to play in spurts and then even when he's flying out there he can hardly ever finish. We dont really have too many guys that compliment his style of play either. I'm sure other GM's and scouts see it as well and thats why there's really no trade market for the guy. I feel like after this year, he'll wind up over in Europe and probably set the world on fire there and finish out his career there.

I don't think he's ends up in Europe. I bet a lot of teams would love to have him in their top nine, just not at 5M dollars in cash.

I do however, agree with your assessment of his play style. He's sort of a one man show out there, but he can still be effective like that.

Personally, I wouldn't be upset if Grabner finished the year out as an Islander. I've always loved Grabs the guy (and even the player to be honest). As frustrating as he is, his skill set is still fun to watch.

Also, one injury, and Grabner is in the lineup. Assuming he's healthy and has a full camp, I think we'd see a very motivated Grabner on the ice.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Grabner seems like an awesome guy! Hopefully he is healthy and motivated in the last year of his contract.

I see no problem bringing him to camp to add competition alongside all of the other forwards. Let the best players compete to win starting spots and keep the rest for depth. Injuries are bound to hit, it seems like the Isles never avoid the injury bug for long.

Then, at the trade deadline, a move or two can always be made. Unlike many teams, the Isles have cap room to work a deal and retain or accept some $$$ back in the right deal.

I think it is a luxury to have 14 NHL-caliber forwards in Bailey, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Grabner, Grabo, Kulemin, Lee, Martin, Nelson, Nielsen, Okposo, Petrov, Strome and Tavares. I am happy to be free of the days of untested rookies, washed up vets and AHL retreads.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I miss the times when he had a breakaway chance every game, even if he missed the 90% of the chances.

The thing here is, in my opinion, that Capuano does not like him at all. So a player who can't stay healthy and a coach who is not his biggest fan.. it usually does not work out.

If that's the case then I like Grabner more than ever now.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

I'd argue that even when not at 100%, he's still a much better option than some 'regulars'....but that's for another day.

What I'd like to add to your post is that his health isn't the only thing that affects his game.

The fact that that our dumb coach plays junk players like Colin McDonald/Tyler Freakn Kennedy/Cory Conacher over him drives me up the wall. Like honestly, it's a ****en joke.

Almost as bad as scratching Visnovsky for Strait.

Almost.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
2 year ago a really startling article surfaced (maybe someone can post a link?) that grabner was 2nd in the nhl for ES goals/60 over the last 4 years or something like that (often playing few and hard minutes with bad teammates). Grabner also consistently had a high shooting % in his time with the isles.

I know what posters mean with grabner not finishing, but due to the quality of the chances he creates he ends up scoring above average, at least when healthy.
Not sure what article you're referring to, but here's a post I made on Grabner's stats from earlier in the thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=99682059&postcount=137

ReneM86

Dec 21, 2014
Austria
Michael talked about his uncertain future in an Austrian interview! I really hope that he'll find a new club - if the Islanders didn't need him. Better option would be a new contract with the Islanders, thats my opinion. Further he talked about his injuries (a never ending story). According the interview he isn't back at 100%. But to be honest, he looks good now!

these videos are in german. Nevertheless I'll post it.
http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/video/michael-grabner-die-ungewisse-zukunft/368077.html

same time like video 1 - practices with some buddies from Austria.
http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/video/suns-out-guns-out-eishockey-stars-beim-crossfit/365244.html

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
Todays local austrian newspaper "Kleine Zeitung" has an interview with Grabner. He confirms that he was playing the whole last seaon in serious pain, but is now painfree. Ask about possible transfers he mentioned that there was serious interest by the Maple Leafs but he is glad he stays for now an Islanders, as this feels like home. He is confident to make 20 goals this season!

I am going to watch him play today as he plays for his youth team (VSV Villach) (together with M. Raffl from the Flyers) in a pre season game against Stavanger Oilers. Looking forward to see speedy Gremlin life!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Todays local austrian newspaper "Kleine Zeitung" has an interview with Grabner. He confirms that he was playing the whole last seaon in serious pain, but is now painfree. Ask about possible transfers he mentioned that there was serious interest by the Maple Leafs but he is glad he stays for now an Islanders, as this feels like home. He is confident to make 20 goals this season!

I am going to watch him play today as he plays for his youth team (VSV Villach) (together with M. Raffl from the Flyers) in a pre season game against Stavanger Oilers. Looking forward to see speedy Gremlin life!

Last season Grabner was paid a pretty hefty $4.5m. This season he will make $5m. It is a tough break that Grabner has been dogged by injuries and very ineffective the last two seasons, I would expect Grabner( Okposo also), to be extremely motivated in 2015-2016, working for a new contract.

Snow reportedly shopped him heavily and in the end, Snow did not get an offer he found acceptable. That's fine. Let's see Grabner step up and show he is worth a new, big contract. If not from the nyi, then from some other team on July 1,2016.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Thanks for the update. I would not be shocked to see Toronto (or another team) acquire him if he proves he's healthy in training camp and preseason. He's a low risk/high reward guy, at least to a team with no financial constraints (i.e. Toronto).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad