News Article: Michael Grabner key catalyst to Islanders emergence

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It would be a huge boost, if we got back the dangerous Grabner from his rookie yr.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49516-Michael-Grabner-key-catalyst-to-Islanders-emergence.html
Ken Campbell
2013-01-21 20:08:00
Grabner found last season that defense units began to play him much more passively, hanging back in order to take away his speed advantage. Suddenly, bolting down the wing at warp speed wasn’t working as well anymore. So, he needed to adjust by finding ways to get to the net, which means using his foot-speed to beat defensemen to the outside. He also has to find a way to get behind defensemen and use his speed to create room for his linemates.

“You can’t just do the same thing, go down the wing as fast as you can every time,†he said. “You have to switch it up, slow down the game a couple of times, try to make plays and get in front of the net. Go to the hard areas and maybe score some garbage goals.â€

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
It would be a huge boost, if we got back the dangerous Grabner from his rookie yr.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49516-Michael-Grabner-key-catalyst-to-Islanders-emergence.html
Ken Campbell
2013-01-21 20:08:00
Grabner found last season that defense units began to play him much more passively, hanging back in order to take away his speed advantage. Suddenly, bolting down the wing at warp speed wasn’t working as well anymore. So, he needed to adjust by finding ways to get to the net, which means using his foot-speed to beat defensemen to the outside. He also has to find a way to get behind defensemen and use his speed to create room for his linemates.

“You can’t just do the same thing, go down the wing as fast as you can every time,†he said. “You have to switch it up, slow down the game a couple of times, try to make plays and get in front of the net. Go to the hard areas and maybe score some garbage goals.â€

In order for the team to make the next step someone has to emerge as a threat separate from JT. It could be Strome, Niño or Grabs. Proof is how well we played in the last couple of months of Michael's first year with us. He was a dynamic force and looks that way now. If he plays the way he has in the first 2 games it will accelerate our development.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Even though Grabner had a not so great year last year (although I give him the benefit of the doubt because sophomore slumps do happen), he accelerated the rebuild by at least two years being here. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday but he was the best forward on the ice against the Devils.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Grabs problem has always been (per my avatar) his inability to finish on a higher percentage of the chances his speed generates. If he can increase his shooting % even by a marginal amount it would be a boon to this team's offense.

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
As I already mentioned in other threads, what I really like about him this season so far, is that he really tries to play a much more all-around game and that he obviously doesn't want to be that "one trick pony" anymore. That article confirms that impression with his own statements.

The great thing is, that he not only "tries", but obviously also succeeds in this attempt so far. He is great defensively and generates a lot of chances also for his teammates - something completely novel. Nevertheless I kind of feel the responsibility to dampen the euphoria a little bit, because although I really believe that he will have a great season, we still shouldn't forget that he can be quite a streaky player, so there will be droughts as well I guess.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If he can score 18+ goals (that's a 30 goal pace), that would be huge for the Isles. He certainly has the talent to do it.

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
Even though Grabner had a not so great year last year (although I give him the benefit of the doubt because sophomore slumps do happen), he accelerated the rebuild by at least two years being here. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday but he was the best forward on the ice against the Devils.

:laugh: Accelerated?! We've been back and forth btwn neutral and reverse as far I can remember.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
As I already mentioned in other threads, what I really like about him this season so far, is that he really tries to play a much more all-around game and that he obviously doesn't want to be that "one trick pony" anymore. That article confirms that impression with his own statements.

The great thing is, that he not only "tries", but obviously also succeeds in this attempt so far. He is great defensively and generates a lot of chances also for his teammates - something completely novel. Nevertheless I kind of feel the responsibility to dampen the euphoria a little bit, because although I really believe that he will have a great season, we still shouldn't forget that he can be quite a streaky player, so there will be droughts as well I guess.

What choice did he have? Broaden or perish as a limited skills wing. He will need to work on more than just dragging the puck back around the committed goaltender. Is he?

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007

I think his sophomore slump was maybe a bit predictable, actually. The year before, he has a breakout season, has his first kid, was a Calder trophy finalist, and then he earns his first big NHL contract that offseason. I could see where he might have been riding a little too high and maybe not intensely focused on improving his game during the offseason and proving himself again the next season. Now, so far in the two games this season, he looks like he has intensity and urgency back in his game.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
You guys do remember he was injured and not skating very well....and he picked it up late season as the pain subsided.

I liked how he bowled through on that goal....a move our power forwards all do (irony warning: we have no power forwards yet).

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
:laugh: Accelerated?! We've been back and forth btwn neutral and reverse as far I can remember.

i guess the neutral slows down the backwards motion, but i cant really see the isles moving forward this way :D

grabs has been great, but its been two games!

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
You guys do remember he was injured and not skating very well....and he picked it up late season as the pain subsided.

I liked how he bowled through on that goal....a move our power forwards all do (irony warning: we have no power forwards yet).

he had a lingering groin injury right up to the mini camp. He was battling with that groin in austria for the entire season, except the first 2 weeks. i see what you mean, but can you remember how grabs wasnt allowed to go to the world champs right after his breakout year? the isles said he had been struggling with a lingering groin issue since january. he sure didnt show it.

Not sure how easy it is to understand grabs' injury issues ;)

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I clearly remember a game last season where he used his speed to break in alone on a goalie, and missed but he hobbled to the bench and eventually left the game. I think he missed a couple games with the groin strain, but he was pretty bad when he came back and it just looked like he was being a bit overly cautious and not taking any risks. It was especially noticeable when he was on the PK. Many of his breakaways came on the PK when he would park himself out towards the blueline and intercept the pass between the two guys at each points. If he was able to just nudge the puck out of the zone, he would be off to the races and both guys at the point can't catch him. You didn't see him making that play all that often after his injury last season, nor did we really see his explosive speed...hence why I think he was in a funk post-groin injury.

These first two games though, he's returned to doing what he did for stretches during his rookie season. He's all over the ice trying to exploit the D and playing very well in his own end defensively. He's one of those guys that you, as the viewer, pay close attention to, because we know he gets alot of scoring chances, and that alone, puts you on the edge of your seat. It's just when he wiffs or shoots the puck right into the goalie's crest, that you sit back and go, "What the #&@*$ Grabs?! Come on!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad