Michael Andlauer and Bulldogs

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
It’s been reported that the Brantford Buuldogs owner will be the new owner of the Ottawa Senators. Brings up a theory, currently the Bulldogs are scheduled to play in Brantford for 3 years moving from FirstOntario place during renovations, could he keep the Bulldogs in Brantford permanently? Then once renovations are completed, move the Senators’ farm team from Belleville to FirstOntario place with a modern bigger venue and in his hometown.

That would put all his ownership holdings in close proximity to each other.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s been reported that the Brantford Buuldogs owner will be the new owner of the Ottawa Senators. Brings up a theory, currently the Bulldogs are scheduled to play in Brantford for 3 years moving from FirstOntario place during renovations, could he keep the Bulldogs in Brantford permanently? Then once renovations are completed, move the Senators’ farm team from Belleville to FirstOntario place with a modern bigger venue and in his hometown.

It would depend on a few things. First, what is the status of the lease in Belleville? They can’t leave Belleville if there is a long term lease tho it penalties based on the lease.

The second issue is the OHL permissions. The OHL would need to approve the permanent move to Brantford. I’m not sure that is viable. What would make more sense is the OHL back in Belleville which would resolve issues with the East division. Straight swap which I couldn’t see being an issue for the OHL or Belleville because the lease is maintained or transferred.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It's hard to say what will happen when the dust settles.

Here's what I know about teams and relocation in the OHL, anytime it has ever happened the city who got the team in the relocation usually stays permanently after the initial lease comes up for renewal. As for the BOG is concerns if the OHL didn't want him to move the team even on a "temporary" basis the league wouldn't have agreed to this and the team would find a temporary solution in the city of Hamilton somewhere else.

That didn't happen so I would imagine that we will see this move to Brantford to be more likely permanent after the initial term expires. Does that mean the end of the city of Hamilton not necessarily but it could mean it might be awhile before Hamilton may end up back in the OHL. Will have to see where this all shakes out.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
While basically a reverse swap from 2015 does make much sense, especially with the size of the markets, I’m not sure the move makes sense for the Ottawa Sens to relocate their farm team further from Ottawa. NHL teams have been moving their affiliates closer for better accessibility to call up and send down players. Moving the AHL team from Belleville to Hamilton pretty much doubles the commute for players, which isn’t easy if a player in Hamilton is told he’s in the lineup tonight in Ottawa.

I wouldn’t rule out the idea, but it’s probably one of the main challenges for Andlauer and the Ottawa Senators to consider. With that said, there is no doubt that Andlauer has a passion for hockey in Hamilton.

Reactions: rangersblues

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

It would make more sense to keep the baby Sens where they are and move the Bulldogs to Cornwall

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It would make more sense to keep the baby Sens where they are and move the Bulldogs to Cornwall

Cornwall would be great but the existing rink is horrid. If Cornwall could ever figure out a Reno or a new rink, it would be a really good option. I know the City is in a much better financial situation than it was a decade ago but I am not sure they are willing to sink $$$ into Reno’s.

IIRC, I believe the existing rink can have its roof pulled off and some form of expansion can happen but my memory on that is a little foggy So I cannot say for sure.

Would Andlauer sink $$$ into the junior team at this stage or is he more likely to try to sell the Bulldogs and concentrate on the Sens? I think that may be an important question as well. If he does sell the team, that opens the possibility of a relocation to almost anywhere that makes sense for the league.

Completely different topic all together and it would NEVER happen but a relocation of the Gatineau Olympiques to the OHL would be awesome for both the Olympiques and the OHL. Gatineau pretty much has to go through Montreal to visit any team they need to play (Rouyn-Noranda and Val D’Or being the exceptions at 4:30 and 5:30 away).

While basically a reverse swap from 2015 does make much sense, especially with the size of the markets, I’m not sure the move makes sense for the Ottawa Sens to relocate their farm team further from Ottawa. NHL teams have been moving their affiliates closer for better accessibility to call up and send down players. Moving the AHL team from Belleville to Hamilton pretty much doubles the commute for players, which isn’t easy if a player in Hamilton is told he’s in the lineup tonight in Ottawa.

I wouldn’t rule out the idea, but it’s probably one of the main challenges for Andlauer and the Ottawa Senators to consider. With that said, there is no doubt that Andlauer has a passion for hockey in Hamilton.

Considering there is an airport in Hamilton with flights to Ottawa or close proximity to Pearson if they were on the road at the time, I think Hamilton, although further distance wise, would be a much better transportation hub for player access. Belleville is fine provided the access is via car.

Reactions: rangersblues

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I don't think Andlauer makes a decision on the Bulldogs until it's clear where they will be playing permanently.

Brantford city council is already in the process of a new arena study. A new building is going to get done. IMO the only reason they haven't announced the permanent move is that until a new building is 100% official, Hamilton is needed as back up/leverage.

Andlauer has already committed 10m to renovate the Civic center to play in for the next 3+ years, why would he do that if the plan wasn't to stay there. Bulldogs could have temporarily gone to Brampton for no where near the cost.

After that, I can't guess what his long term plan is, but he does love the Bulldogs.

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
Cornwall would be great but the existing rink is horrid. If Cornwall could ever figure out a Reno or a new rink, it would be a really good option. I know the City is in a much better financial situation than it was a decade ago but I am not sure they are willing to sink $$$ into Reno’s.

IIRC, I believe the existing rink can have its roof pulled off and some form of expansion can happen but my memory on that is a little foggy So I cannot say for sure.

Just watched the 67's take on the Frontenacs. There were probably 2,000 people there. I would love to have an OHL franchise here in Cornwall, but I don't think it would be feasible for anyone unless they have deep pockets and need a tax write-off.

The rink itself is not in bad shape, and they fixed the problem of the bowl being too far from the ice by adding about 6 rows of seats in front of the old front row. As far as renovations go, they probably need to update the dressing rooms badly and do up the outside facade.

They just installed new LED lights that illuminate the rink nicely. Their center ice scoreboard is new within the last 5 years, but not top of the line. They have no video boards anywhere else.

They should have made the newer rink in town seat 5,000 people instead of 1,000. The Ed Lumley Arena (Civic Complex) holds 5,000ish.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Does he have to sell Brantford. Plus I heard the Marlies might move to Hamilton after the renovation l

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
From what I've heard Andlauer is extremely frustrated dealing with the City of Hamilton. He offered to partially pay for a new venue on the mountain and that was vetoed. Then the city and new corporate owners of First Ontario completely blind sided him with the timing of the renos.

I'm pretty sure he has little interest in dealing with that circus again anytime soon.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
And ‘Melnyk owned the Sens and Majors….
Yep. Also Calgary Sports & Entertainment owning the Flames and Hitmen.

Andlauer had 10% of the Habs while owning the Bulldogs. Now owners of Oshawa, Guelph, Windsor, and Saginaw all have a stake in the Sens with Andlauer.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad