MHG (Pirates) sign option for city-owned land in Saco

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
MHG signs land option agreement
Chris Roy | Maine Hockey Journal

PORTLAND – Are the Portland Pirates about ready to set sail for Saco?

It’s a real possibility after Maine Hockey Group entered into an agreement on Monday with Saco City Council for an option to purchase a 12.85 acre plot owned by the city on Lund Road.

READ MORE

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I think Saco would work out really well. It might even be better than Portland for various reasons. The parcel of land is located between the current MHG facility and the Maine Turnpike (I-95), which is good because it provides great visibility for those traveling on the interstate. It also makes naming rights more valuable because it essentially is a giant billboard on the interstate. Getting to and from the arena wouldn’t be difficult either. Some may point to the OOB Ballpark as to why it wouldn’t work, but unlike OOB there will be multiple access points to get to the arena from Rte. 1, I-95 and Rte. 112. The arena would be brand new so it could be used as a multi-purpose facility for concerts, shows and other events. They would likely compete with the CCCC and you’d have to think that the arena in Saco would win out on most events because of the ease of access on and off the interstate. Also, because it would be a new arena the floor plan would be better designed. The arena would likely have 5,000 seats for hockey, but because of the bowl design – using Bangor as an example – they can have more luxury boxes, clubs seats and increased floor seating for concerts and shows. They could likely seat 8,000-plus for a concert, if they choose to go that route.

Obviously, Portland is the team’s first choice, but this is a good backup plan if it comes to that. It puts them back in southern Maine and within reach of their corporate base and access is reasonable from downtown Portland. It’s only 11 miles from the current civic center so it’s not like Lewiston, which was never really an option long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad