MGMT Thread. The long, dark offseason of our discontent begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Reposting this because its just so bad
I know many are starting to see the faults in Green’s coaching. But I have to agree that Edler’s PP presence on this team is unmatched so far. In the games since he’s returned, the Canucks shot back to around 20% on the PP, while he was out they were at 7.9%.
Hughes will eventually take the role, probably as soon as next year. But for now Edler remains the best option for PP1 evidenced by the measurable metrics.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
With #firebenning being the number one trend in Canada last night as the Canucks were curb stomped in a laugher against Vegas as they fade horribly in yet another late-season drive, the main question everyone seems to be asking is "Where are the Fire Benning chants?"

The Vancouver media which has the intellectual capacity and journalistic integrity of pond scum ran a two-time President Trophy winning GM out of town in the midst of one bad owner-tampered season. This led to our idiot r/canucks fan base chanting to fire him which gave the owner and our pond scum media the justification to run him off.

Now with Elmer, apparently building security descends upon you if you voice your displeasure about his work. Reports on Twitter of building security stomping out any sort of Benning dissent immediately.

The media has coddled this guy like a very touching episode of Life Goes On with Elmer as Corky who's been gifted a goddamn hockey team. Let's be reality, the national media doesn't even watch Canucks games and can't be bothered with this ****ty team with the late night games, so they just present the youth meme. Meanwhile, here we are in year five of this purgatory now with a losing culture which infects every aspect of this organization.

Our owner is second generation money who popped up from under the rock he's been hiding under for the last five years to live tweet about how great everything is. Aquillini made it one period into the game before disavowing responsibility and disappearing back to under his rock once he saw how bad everything is and how angry the natives are.

This is a multi-billion dollar corporation and business who's product is hockey and winning hockey games in which we are the customers and consumers of their product. If the Vancouver Canucks were McDonald's they would have been selling us substandard raw meat on Chinese newspaper for the last four years with promises of elite hamburgers in the future and how they just got this bad ass prime expensive meat they got from another burger joint off waivers.

Olli Juolevi
Jake Virtanen

Gustav Frosling
Jared McCann
Zack Kassian

Now finally after last night's shellacking where a team with exactly one year of history beat the ever loving snot out of a team with 50 years of history exposing this team, this management, this ownership, the media and all connected and concerned parties to the fact that this management group is a complete failure, the Benning-era was a complete waste of time. This is year four of the same movie playing out on a downtrend from 2011. And if you're a long time fan, this looks exactly like the peak darkness of the Nonis years.

The biggest question at the moment is "Where are the Fire Benning chants?"

My question is, what is it ultimately going to take to break whatever this mystical power is this guy has over the ownership, the media and the r/canucks portion of the fan base? For about a decade, this ownership had my fiercest of loyalties because after the Nonis Administration, the ownership meme'd that losing would not be tolerated. Yet here we are in year five of peak Oilers and Maple Leaf hell with our owner seemingly more interested in his Overwatch team than his multi-billion dollar NHL franchise.

The media is giving praise for little aspects of Benning's job like managing to not trade all of our draft picks away and managing to drink water without drowning. The national media is too assed to be bothered.

There's a clampdown in the arena. r/Canucks is r/Canucks and CDC is CDC.

So how does this hellish ride finally end and how does Benning finally get fired considering this gridlock through all things Canucks? Especially now that #firebenning is mainstream.

#FireBenning (@FireBenning2019) | Twitter

Taj on Twitter

Last one 1,000+. The Saga of Dim Jim, the dumpy one resumes here.

Part I:
#firebenning: The Movement Has Gone Mainstream

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m not really in the mood to go on a rampage or rant or anything.

I am extremely impressed what Tanner Pearson can do with his lack of skating speed, and Looks so effective

member 290103

If they hire a President who isn't an idiot he'll fire Benning immediately.

If they hire a President who is an idiot, God help this team.

Botchford today suggesting Benning gets another year due to f***ing injuries. FML.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
If they hire a President who isn't an idiot he'll fire Benning immediately.

If they hire a President who is an idiot, God help this team.
So I read an article last year which said that Dean Lombardi has a 3 year no out clause with the flyers. Do you know if this is true?

If he becomes the new president/gm, it will be a huge improvement compared to what we have now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So I read an article last year which said that Dean Lombardi has a 3 year no out clause with the flyers. Do you know if this is true?

If he becomes the new president/gm, it will be a huge improvement compared to what we have now.

I read that too. I don’t think much of it. Teams aren’t going to prevent someone from getting a better job somewhere else.

Reactions: Jack Burton

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I know many are starting to see the faults in Green’s coaching. But I have to agree that Edler’s PP presence on this team is unmatched so far. In the games since he’s returned, the Canucks shot back to around 20% on the PP, while he was out they were at 7.9%.
Hughes will eventually take the role, probably as soon as next year. But for now Edler remains the best option for PP1 evidenced by the measurable metrics.

We're not in the playoffs, we're in garbage time, playing meaningless games where there is literally no need to "maximize our metrics". In fact, winning is counterproductive right now.

The entire reason you're playing games this time of year is to see what you've got, and now is the best time to do that.
But no, let's wait until next year to train Hughes to gel with the other guys , when the results actually matter. :help:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You can give Benning "one more year" all you want and maybe he'll drag his ass into the playoffs by luck and attrition. That doesn't change the fact he builds crappy rosters.

And after 10 years and maybe a couple first round playoff exits, if he's lucky, we'll be right back where we started.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I’m not really in the mood to go on a rampage or rant or anything.

I am extremely impressed what Tanner Pearson can do with his lack of skating speed, and Looks so effective

God sad to see how low the standards have fallen. He's producing in garbage time while shooting 19%. If he had been shooting at his career average he would have 4 goals 2 assists for a total of 6 points in 17 games.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's look at some analytics:

CF% RankxGF%Rank SH% RankGAR RankWAR Rank
2018-1948.17 2346.21 288.09 15 61.5 24 10.7 24
2017-1847.68 2546.57 277.21 25 66.3 24 11.7 25
2016-1747.96 2545.71 287.01 23 19 29 3.6 29
2015-1647.21 2744.65 296.88 25 33.9 30 6.9 30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What stands out?

Well, the team CF% is slowly improving, but still easily bottom 10. The team's xGF% is still at the bottom, and actually declined from last year; however, they have a significant spike in shooting percentage.

In terms of Goals Above Replacement, and Wins Above Replacement, what stands out is this seems to be a tale of two teams: 15-17 was arguably the worst team in the league (Willie's team), while 17-19 is still a bottom 5-7 team, but Green's team has shown some improvement over Willie's team.

What changed? Green's team added some better young players by virtue of Boeser and Pettersson making the team and having an impact. Yet, despite their impact, that hasn't been enough to keep this team out of the bottom 10 in terms of their underlying numbers. This is essentially the same bad team that Willie had, with a couple good young players added that have lifted it out of the absolute basement. Does this look like a team that is ready to make the playoffs anytime soon? Absolutely not. Especially when you consider the Canucks don't have another Boeser or Pettersson in the system ready to jump in and make a similar impact, and even if they had two more players like that they would likely only boost the team up to about league average at best.

Those that say this team is headed in the right direction, I disagree. While yes, there has been improvement in the past two years over the first two years, it hasn't been enough. And then when considering the question: how is this team going to continue to improve? I draw a blank.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Those that say this team is headed in the right direction, I disagree. While yes, there has been improvement in the past two years over the first two years, it hasn't been enough. And then when considering the question: how is this team going to continue to improve? I draw a blank.
This is contradictory, or at least it reads that way. If there's been improvement, they're moving in the right direction.

Obviously more is needed and significant roster turnover is required, but I think they're on the right path.

They're not going to tank, they never have, and they certainly won't now. They need a big summer, I'm with you, that I don't trust the guy running the show, but I think a wiser person than Benning could help continue the trajectory up.

The teams allowed considerably less goals (yes, Marky's a big reason, but he's the teams goalie) in a higher scoring season. I think they need to continue to try and improve the team. Flip dead weight for picks, and sign better free agents.

I get being fearful of Benning doing that, but it's the path almost anyone taking the job would do IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce