MGM Resorts CEO working to bring NBA to town

Jun 6, 2016
Different crowd than the Hockey faithful.

NBA would be super successful here though.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Different crowd, but I always hoped (and really thought) we'd have at least five years with only the hockey team to get it established. Hockey will succeed here and there are plenty of hockey fans in the valley, but I really wanted to get some of the Las Vegas pride casual fans behind the team as our only team for a while.

I'm really amazed at how quickly the landscape has changed in a very short time. We've gone from "pro sports will never be in Las Vegas" to having a real possibility of having three pro teams here in a very short amount of time. Just less than two years ago people scoffed at the idea of one team, now three?

Absolutely insane how quickly this has gone.

Jun 6, 2016
Different crowd, but I always hoped (and really thought) we'd have at least five years with only the hockey team to get it established. Hockey will succeed here and there are plenty of hockey fans in the valley, but I really wanted to get some of the Las Vegas pride casual fans behind the team as our only team for a while.

I'm really amazed at how quickly the landscape has changed in a very short time. We've gone from "pro sports will never be in Las Vegas" to having a real possibility of having three pro teams here in a very short amount of time. Just less than two years ago people scoffed at the idea of one team, now three?

Absolutely insane how quickly this has gone.

Right and no offense to the hockey crowd here but the 1 sport I always wanted professionally here (baseball) would be the one missing.

But you're right, born and raised here this whole past 9 months have been a whirlwind.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Right and no offense to the hockey crowd here but the 1 sport I always wanted professionally here (baseball) would be the one missing.

But you're right, born and raised here this whole past 9 months have been a whirlwind.

As much as this whole world has changed, I still think we're a decade from an MLB team, minimum. We'd be a very small market team and there's a lot of inventory with that schedule and the size of a baseball park.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think Vegas can support two major league franchises, but I'd be skeptical about three, and extremely pessimistic about four. I think a lot of people are putting the cart ahead of the horse right now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

This week on Vegas PBS' Nevada Week (starting ~midway through episode), a discussion on potential expansion to Las Vegas by the NBA. Silver has admitted that Seattle and Las Vegas are attractive destinations for expansion. Need to finish new CBA negotiations and TV deals (which could be double the last deal) before the league will look at expansion. Possible starting point for expansion fee: $4B. Might it be Foley entertainment group, perhaps teaming up with others to submit bid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad