Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Balsillie acted like a complete jackass though, didn't he?

So what is the advantage to completely remaining incognito? I get that it would be a moot point if Seattle doesn't get the Kings, but that doesn't mean there's an advantage to not going public with interest in a hockey team. Maybe these guys are so low-key that they just don't feel like revealing who they are, who knows, but if I were gung ho about Seattle I don't know that I'd hang my hopes on some mystery investment group that for some reason doesn't feel like revealing itself.

We'll see what happens this week with the kings situations. There is little the group can do until the arena is taken care off then charge extra for the sale price.

ALthough even though the league would probably like to get the team off their hands its still a possibility rather slim that the league could move the team itself to Seattle then sell it to a group later.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012

So what is the advantage to completely remaining incognito? I get that it would be a moot point if Seattle doesn't get the Kings, but that doesn't mean there's an advantage to not going public with interest in a hockey team. Maybe these guys are so low-key that they just don't feel like revealing who they are, who knows, but if I were gung ho about Seattle I don't know that I'd hang my hopes on some mystery investment group that for some reason doesn't feel like revealing itself.

Well and that's my point. Balsillie didn't act appropriately but maybe that doesn't even factor into this "mystery group's" thought process, and maybe it does. I don't know. Just saying it could be a possibility. And for all we know keeping mum is part-and-parcel of the NBA/NHL arena deal. Everyone knows the Sonics have to be the first domino to fall because without the NBA relocating to Seattle, the arena deal doesn't happen, period. The feeling could be that there is no point--great interest or not--in putting much focus on the NHL simply because at this moment this is the NBA's show. Hansen & Co. are smart, savvy businessmen, so while the focus has been on the NBA all this time you can be sure they have been working to secure an NHL ownership group while all of this has been going on. If Seattle gets the Kings, I would very much expect to hear an announcement about the prospective NHL ownership group's existence very soon afterward and then the real fun will start as we wait to see if Bettman will finally pull the plug on Phoenix and make them open for relocation or not. :yo:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well and that's my point. Balsillie didn't act appropriately but maybe that doesn't even factor into this "mystery group's" thought process, and maybe it does. I don't know. Just saying it could be a possibility. And for all we know keeping mum is part-and-parcel of the NBA/NHL arena deal. Everyone knows the Sonics have to be the first domino to fall because without the NBA relocating to Seattle, the arena deal doesn't happen, period. The feeling could be that there is no point--great interest or not--in putting much focus on the NHL simply because at this moment this is the NBA's show. Hansen & Co. are smart, savvy businessmen, so while the focus has been on the NBA all this time you can be sure they have been working to secure an NHL ownership group while all of this has been going on. If Seattle gets the Kings, I would very much expect to hear an announcement about the prospective NHL ownership group's existence very soon afterward and then the real fun will start as we wait to see if Bettman will finally pull the plug on Phoenix and make them open for relocation or not. :yo:

Exactly. No point in continuing discussions with league until the arena is taken care of.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
As much as I want the Coyotes to move to Quebec, I would even be relieved if they ended up going to Seattle because I'm sick of the whole Coyotes saga.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
As much as I want the Coyotes to move to Quebec, I would even be relieved if they ended up going to Seattle because I'm sick of the whole Coyotes saga.

regardless of who gets the team it would be nice to finally move on from the issue. if its Quebec seattle would put themselves in position for the next available team or expansion.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008

So what is the advantage to completely remaining incognito? I get that it would be a moot point if Seattle doesn't get the Kings, but that doesn't mean there's an advantage to not going public with interest in a hockey team.

Incognito to those out of the loop or who can't connect the large dots. Who says the interest in hockey hasn't been made public?

Is there a "hit head on wall" smiley icon I can use for those here missing the obvious: this Seattle massive private investment is heavily dependent on revenues from the one few dependable broadcast media cashcows left. Said cashcows who stand to see their value and leverage grow as the broadcast model evolves in the internet/on-demand age.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Incognito to those out of the loop or who can't connect the large dots. Who says the interest in hockey hasn't been made public?

Is there a "hit head on wall" smiley icon I can use for those here missing the obvious: this Seattle massive private investment is heavily dependent on revenues from the one few dependable broadcast media cashcows left. Said cashcows who stand to see their value and leverage grow as the broadcast model evolves in the internet/on-demand age.

like this? :banghead:

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
In fact, I wanted to point out a major difference is the Seattle projet do not seems to look like the Consol in Pitts, with its open spaces at top of the sections. I a bit surprised. Maybe I am wrong and it doesnt show enough on the Seattle drawings.

Honestly, this Seattle arena would be a awesome place, no doubt, despite I like the Qc project a bit more.

Of course green, for Seattle, its natural ;-)

The "Sonics Rings" will take the open space concept to a new level, IMO.

130329_sonics_arena2_lg.jpg

And I agree with you on color - green has to be the primary (especially since it will be so pronounced in the arena).

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

I've been following this thread like everyone else but I still don't know the answer. Is there, or isn't there, a major investor who has expressed an interest in owning a majority share of a Seattle NHL franchise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I've been following this thread like everyone else but I still don't know the answer. Is there, or isn't there, a major investor who has expressed an interest in owning a majority share of a Seattle NHL franchise?

Why does everyone need to know pubically who the potential owner is?

They are working with Chris Hansen, and that was Hansen's MO. Guy was working on putting together a deal for more than a year and was just announced when the term sheet came out.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Why does everyone need to know pubically who the potential owner is?

They are working with Chris Hansen, and that was Hansen's MO. Guy was working on putting together a deal for more than a year and was just announced when the term sheet came out.

Because it would be a major part of the puzzle that Seattle needs to get an NHL franchise. Would be interesting to know if there actually is an owner, or if it's smoke and mirrors like in Phoenix.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Because it would be a major part of the puzzle that Seattle needs to get an NHL franchise. Would be interesting to know if there actually is an owner, or if it's smoke and mirrors like in Phoenix.

But what does having being public have to do with that? Chris Hansen was in discussions with the NBA before he was ever announced. In the end that is all that matters.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
But what does having being public have to do with that? Chris Hansen was in discussions with the NBA before he was ever announced. In the end that is all that matters.

It doesn't matter to the overall process. It'll either happen or it won't. But Nuclear SUV is all over here claiming that everything is all lined up in Seattle [MOD EDIT], and I'm just asking how he's so sure.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
It doesn't matter to the overall process. It'll either happen or it won't. But Nuclear SUV is all over here claiming that everything is all lined up in Seattle [MOD EDIT], and I'm just asking how he's so sure.

Well I can't speak for Nuclear SUV, but all the 'concerns' from Quebec supporters stating that why no Seattle owners have stepped up pubically, is honestly not making any sense to me, because there are other ways to do this (Like what we have currently, Chris Hansen)

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Well I can't speak for Nuclear SUV, but all the 'concerns' from Quebec supporters stating that why no Seattle owners have stepped up pubically, is honestly not making any sense to me, because there are other ways to do this (Like what we have currently, Chris Hansen)

Right, but Chris Hansen has his name out there publicly - see the difference?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Yeah but only once he actually produced a term sheet, not one second before. He was purchasing land, talking to city leaders, the NBA up to a year before it was announced pubicaly

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Don Levin wants to put a team in Seattle. He was in discussions with the city of Bellevue about building an Arena a couple years ago. He owns the Chicago Wolves and just missed out on buying the Montreal Canadiens when they were sold to the Molson family so clearly he has money and NHL connections.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The "Sonics Rings" will take the open space concept to a new level, IMO.

130329_sonics_arena2_lg.jpg

And I agree with you on color - green has to be the primary (especially since it will be so pronounced in the arena).

Those rings looks like a sort of giant baskets! Fun concept, I admit.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012

Right, but he was behind the scenes for an entire year laying the groundwork for his effort to buy the team before he was introduced to the public and look at how well he has done. If there is a prospective owner or group (and I believe there is), they would be foolish not to follow the example Hansen has set. The person/group doesn't need to be in the spotlight right now and there is absolutely no reason for them to be in the spotlight. However, if Seattle gets the Kings, the interested person or group will make themselves public before too long.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Don Levin is quietly waiting in the back of the room for the NBA deal to go through. Once that is announced, I expect things to move quickly.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I don't believe it's Levin. At least not as the primary. He could become a fallback plan though.

The intricacies of the original deal with the city, and the timeline of first communications between Levin and Hansen to me suggests the Seattle group has someone else under wraps who will become the NHL team owner.

The broadcast media cashcow to which Nuclear SUV is referring, I'm pretty sure, is regional sports networks. That is a clue as to who the prospective Seattle NHL owner will be.

My guess is the McCaw family, which has a long history in Seattle as regional broadcast asset owners before jumping in with both feet into the cellular world. And as many know, John McCaw is a former owner of an NHL franchise in the northwest.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
But Nuclear SUV is all over here claiming that everything is all lined up in Seattle [MOD EDIT], and I'm just asking how he's so sure.

It is lined up. Just do the math and only listen to the words from the people that matter. The people involved have made it so obvious without expressing their exact desire to poach a team and move it away. Why does anyone but Bettman and company need to know the exact details? I'd expect Bettman himself is guiding the group. If the potential of expansion exists, it makes it even more important to keep quiet due to the Glendale situation.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site

Here is a hint of why there is talk of things moving on in the background with an ownership group that hasn't gone public yet ... its not just something posters are making up to try and fill a hole in bringing the NHL to Seattle. This is also why I believe Levin isn't gonna be the guy if/when it happens:

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2020184797_kingshockey22.html

"When I spoke to him at some point in the past, he said there were other people interested, so I'm sure he is (pursuing a team with other owners)," Levin said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad