Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Both of you are right, but Nuclear, I think that if this went to a public vote (all of King County BTW would get to vote since the county also has tax skin in this game) it would probably fail, I'd estimate 60-40%. Especially if they ran the thing in November with the large conservative vote which is likely for the general election.

The King County Safeco Field (increase the sales tax 1%) vote was 50-50. The Republican leaning areas voted more heavily in favor of Safeco Field than the heavily Democrat areas.

This arena deal is nothing close to asking voters to increase the sales tax by 1%. It is a no brainer deal, which is why even the lefty but fiscal conservative Ken Schram supports it.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Interesting attitude from from a resident of a country that participates in toppling dictatorships around the planet, in the name of promoting democracy.

If that were the case, we would have taken Gen. MacArthur's advice and gone after China during the Korean War. Or kneecapped the Saudis decades ago. Taken out Cuba post Soviet Union. Not let Hugo Chavez rise up into dictator of Venezuela. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The King County Council & Seattle City Council are democratically elected representatives of the people.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Ha. I wish more politicians would be like this.

Or perhaps their budget staff. If you notice the bottom of the item, it was not posted by McGinn himself, but a lady named Beth Goldberg, who ID's herself in the last paragraph of this as McGinn's budget director.

Enough about parsing the messenger here, in any event, it's good that McGinn's office is calling the Times out as well. Perhaps in the future, if the Times continues to pull this garbage, folks like Ms. Goldberg ought to write up some op-eds countering the Times' position and demand those be printed.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Message from Chris Hansen:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/hey-everyone

I just wanted to thank all of you for coming down to support us on Thursday. What an incredible day! When I walked on stage and saw the sea of Green and Gold, I seriously almost lost it. I can’t tell you all how inspiring it was — as well as a reminder as to the gravity of what we are trying to achieve here, and of how much this means to so many.

But it also brought back so many great memories. Watching Gary and Shawn on stage goofing around like the good old days. Seeing Kevin Calabro incite the Sonic faithful into a frenzy. Hearing the booming chants of Super-SONICS echo through the city. After so much pain the last four years, this was a day that I don’t think any of us will ever forget.

So I just wanted to again say thank you. While there is much work left to be done, and your continued support and effort are critical to making our collective dream a reality, make no mistake about it... you all sent a serious message to the city, county, NBA, NHL, and sports enthusiasts worldwide. We have some of the most passionate fans in the world, and our great city deserves to have the Sonics and professional hockey back.

— Chris Hansen

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
If it's got such wide public support, why not put it to a referendum in Seattle and King County? The referendum could even include clause exempting itself from I-91, thereby pre-empting a potential court challenge.

Why do we need to do that? Plus it has already been stated that this arena deal meets all the I-91 stipulations.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Council News Release

Seattle City Council and King County Council to host joint public hearing on proposed SODO arena on July 19
City Council to hold additional committee meeting on arena on June 29

Seattle – The Seattle City Council and King County Council announced today that they will co-host a joint public hearing on July 19 regarding the proposal for a new multi-purpose arena in SODO. Members of the public are invited to attend and give in-person testimony to City and County councilmembers. Both Councils accept written public comments at any time.

Who:
Seattle City Council and King County Council

What:
Public hearing on proposed SODO arena legislation

When:
Thursday, July 19, 5:30 p.m.
Sign-up begins at 5 p.m.

Where:
Bertha Knight Landes Room, Seattle City Hall
(600 Fourth Ave, First Floor)

The City Council’s Government Performance and Finance Committee has also added a meeting on June 29 to its review of the proposal. The additional meeting and public hearing are highlighted in the City Council’s review calendar below:

Wednesday, June 20, 9:30 a.m. Presentation by Mayoral staff on KeyArena followed by discussion with Chris Hansen

Friday, June 29, 9:30 a.m. Presentation by Mayoral staff on Initiative 91

Thursday, July 5, 2 p.m. Committee deliberations

Friday, July 6, 9:30 a.m. Committee deliberations

Wednesday, July 18, 9:30 a.m. Committee deliberations

Thursday, July 19, 5:30 p.m. Public hearing

Wednesday, August 1, 9:30 a.m. Committee deliberations, possible vote

Monday, August 6, 2 p.m. Full Council consideration and vote (tentative)

Monday, August 13, 2 p.m. Full Council consideration and vote (tentative)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Why do we need to do that? Plus it has already been stated that this arena deal meets all the I-91 stipulations.
A referendum could also pass an exemption to I-91, to block frivolous legal challenges. I'm thinking along the same lines as what the Province of Quebec did to forestall challenges to the new Quebec arena.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A referendum could also pass an exemption to I-91, to block frivolous legal challenges. I'm thinking along the same lines as what the Province of Quebec did to forestall challenges to the new Quebec arena.

If its going to be an exemption to I-91 regarding this arena deal. It would be done by the city council like they did with the WNBA storm lease.

Why waste time and money to put it on the ballot on which it won't likely to pass if it can be easily done by the city council.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Or perhaps their budget staff. If you notice the bottom of the item, it was not posted by McGinn himself, but a lady named Beth Goldberg, who ID's herself in the last paragraph of this as McGinn's budget director.

Enough about parsing the messenger here, in any event, it's good that McGinn's office is calling the Times out as well. Perhaps in the future, if the Times continues to pull this garbage, folks like Ms. Goldberg ought to write up some op-eds countering the Times' position and demand those be printed.

Well, I guess someone at the county must have been reading my mind or something:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2018465131_guest19dively.html

Op-ed from county budget chief Dwight Dively doing essentially same thing McGinn's budget chief did in her previously linked item on the mayor's webpage.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
For those who are interested, here's Daniels' wrapup on the county council arena hearing yesterday:

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/New...-killer-says-Port-commissioner-159607155.html

The topic I want to bring up is not about the Port, though. Towards the bottom of this story is this:

Former Seattle city councilmember Pete Steinbrueck, now an architect and land use expert, helped pass an ordinance back in 2000 to create a "stadium transition overlay district,†which he says was designed to create pedestrian connections and maintain separation of commercial and industrial development.

He says Hansen's proposed arena would likely violate that ordinance and put area development in quote "non-compliance" with city and county policies.

"To approve that in advance of this analysis raises serious legal questions and is ill advised, I would say,†he said.

Steinbrueck also questions whether an arena could fit within the boundaries of the district.

So now you have people questioning whether that area is properly zoned. My goodness. :shakehead. Thoughts? Discuss.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
And it was thoroughly explained by the City and the County that the area is zoned properly.

Hansen was a rock star yesterday and blew up all the council members.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
This tweet from Daniels should be of special interest to this board:

This tweet was posted about 25 minutes ago.

Chris Hansen blew up the City Council Today.

Also stated that if there is a Tax revenue short fall, that his investors would pay additional rent.

Also willing to operate Key Arena and Re-purpose Key Arena

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
The meeting just wrapped up, and Daniels had to end the live feed early because too many of his followers apparently were getting a little irked at having so many of these tweets of his....

But I thought the Nellams testimony was equally newsworthy as well if you saw the early portion of that hearing.

All in all, a good day for sports fans, and especially a good one for all of us who want to see the NHL in this area soon.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The meeting just wrapped up, and Daniels had to end the live feed early because too many of his followers apparently were getting a little irked at having so many of these tweets of his....

But I thought the Nellams testimony was equally newsworthy as well if you saw the early portion of that hearing.

All in all, a good day for sports fans, and especially a good one for all of us who want to see the NHL in this area soon.

What did Nellams say i miss that portion.

Lam7825

Go Goldy Go!
For those who are interested, here's Daniels' wrapup on the county council arena hearing yesterday:

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/New...-killer-says-Port-commissioner-159607155.html

The topic I want to bring up is not about the Port, though. Towards the bottom of this story is this:

So now you have people questioning whether that area is properly zoned. My goodness. :shakehead. Thoughts? Discuss.

and I thought the City of Seattle Planning Dept quickly dispelled that rumor.... the proposed arena area is zoned properly. Just because the POS (Port of Seattle) is whining.....they're just throwing stones.

I'll be living elsewhere by the time Seattle ever gets an NHL franchise, but I for one love how a guy like Chris Hansen has stepped up and is at least trying. And is smart enough to have good ammunition against the naysaying politicians.

I personally think McGinn wants this deal done, the POS is just that, and the KC Council are mostly idiots. Too much government tripping into each other here. That's why I choose to live in Tacoma....

Lauri from Tacoma

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
What did Nellams say i miss that portion.

essentially he said, that Key Arena site will not work for a new arena. That the SODO site is the only site that would make Key Arena Whole. Also stated that Chris Hansen Would be willing to repurpose key arena and operate it.

Said that if a arena goes to bellevue, it will kill key arena. If arena goes to SODO, there will be cash infusion etc.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
essentially he said, that Key Arena site will not work for a new arena. That the SODO site is the only site that would make Key Arena Whole. Also stated that Chris Hansen Would be willing to repurpose key arena and operate it.

Said that if a arena goes to bellevue, it will kill key arena. If arena goes to SODO, there will be cash infusion etc.

gstommylee, the part of Nellams' testimony which I thought was newsworthy was the part about Bellevue. It would seem based on that that Nellams is more concerned about protecting his turf, would anyone agree with this?

And BTW, OT for a moment....

http://www.seattleteams.com/store/ROBB-MT-KG!CASUA/GREEN+ROBBED+SEATTLE+SUPERSONICS+TEE

The Seattle Team Shops are selling this Sonics T-shirt with a vintage Sonics logo and an image of a basketball hoop, sandwiched between the two is the word "Robbed." Interesting T-shirt for anyone wanting to make a little political statement this summer......

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
gstommylee, the part of Nellams' testimony which I thought was newsworthy was the part about Bellevue. It would seem based on that that Nellams is more concerned about protecting his turf, would anyone agree with this?

Definitely. Makes me wonder if they are going to really bring up the Bellevue threat a lot more now especially when they are more closer to the vote.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Definitely. Makes me wonder if they are going to really bring up the Bellevue threat a lot more now especially when they are more closer to the vote.

And that's the thing. When you get right down to it, Nellams is right on one thing - if Bellevue builds the new arena, Key Arena is toast. Why?

1. It would be built to meet the needs of major concert acts, which more often than not don't go to the Key because it doesn't meet those needs now, and

2. It would be closer to the majority of the ticket-buyers.

So for Nellams and the Center people, the deal Hansen seems to be giving them is a heckuva lot better than the alternative. The Center, sad to say, is dying, I think, a slow death because there's really nothing over there worth going to do on a regular basis. I mean, who goes to EMP every time - and pay through the gills for admission -a new exhibit pops up in there or who's going to want to go see the same pieces of Chihuly glass art every weekend at his museum? And Memorial Stadium, well, it's a dump, and that's being nice. Top it off that the parking there is next to awful and they took most of it out when they built the Gates Foundation campus across the street.

The Council must recognize this, because they have plenty of skin in that game, too, because the revenues they generate are city $$.

Nellams needs to keep beating this drum to the council and to guys like Steinbrueck and the idiots at the Port. And here's another thing. Perhaps someone on the pro-arena side should use the "why the hell do we have two different Ports in this region anyway, perhaps they should merge to save taxpayers money?" card. Just a thought.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And that's the thing. When you get right down to it, Nellams is right on one thing - if Bellevue builds the new arena, Key Arena is toast. Why?

1. It would be built to meet the needs of major concert acts, which more often than not don't go to the Key because it doesn't meet those needs now, and

2. It would be closer to the majority of the ticket-buyers.

So for Nellams and the Center people, the deal Hansen seems to be giving them is a heckuva lot better than the alternative. The Center, sad to say, is dying, I think, a slow death because there's really nothing over there worth going to do on a regular basis. I mean, who goes to EMP every time - and pay through the gills for admission -a new exhibit pops up in there or who's going to want to go see the same pieces of Chihuly glass art every weekend at his museum? And Memorial Stadium, well, it's a dump, and that's being nice. Top it off that the parking there is next to awful and they took most of it out when they built the Gates Foundation campus across the street.

The Council must recognize this, because they have plenty of skin in that game, too, because the revenues they generate are city $$.

Nellams needs to keep beating this drum to the council and to guys like Steinbrueck and the idiots at the Port. And here's another thing. Perhaps someone on the pro-arena side should use the "why the hell do we have two different Ports in this region anyway, perhaps they should merge to save taxpayers money?" card. Just a thought.

No idea why they aren't operated by 1 group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad