Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northender

Feb 11, 2012
You don't know that. All you know is no one has gone public besides Don Levin. It has been reported there are 2 different groups in Seattle with interest in owning an NHL team.

So, there goes your theory of no one wanting to pony up in Seattle to buy the team.

I dunno. Its 6 months from the start of next season, and no one has declared themselves. Clock is ticking. Quebec wins.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I dunno. Its 6 months from the start of next season, and no one has declared themselves. Clock is ticking. Quebec wins.

No doubt. If the Coyotes need to be moved for next season, I will be absolutely shocked if they don't end up in QC. Why? QC has been standing in the line a lot longer and is prepared to take a team on short notice. Seattle, not so much.

Breakaway3527

Feb 26, 2010
As a Canadian I prefer Seattle as the number 1 choice for the next NHL team. All these Canadians hijacking this thread that is supposed to be about Seattle are short sighted.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
As a Canadian I prefer Seattle as the number 1 choice for the next NHL team. All these Canadians hijacking this thread that is supposed to be about Seattle are short sighted.

As a non-Canadian (but a Nordiques fan from back in the day), I have to say, forget short-sighted. As Don Cherry said the other night, Canadian teams currently generate 40 percent of the league's revenues. Six of the top seven teams in terms of game-day revenues are Canadian, and almost certainly seven of the top eight including Winnipeg. With Quebec it would be eight of the top nine. It makes eminent business sense to have a team in Quebec City, especially considering Canada's economy is likely to be better than that of the U.S. for at least the next few years.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team, but QC right now makes a LOT of sense economically for the league.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008

How do you know? Not everything is done in public.

Seattle is the better market. Seattle wins.

Why don't you QC boosters head over to the QC thread? There is going to be a lot of interesting news out of Seattle over the next three weeks. Let's not waste space here talking about the NHL's back-up plan to Seattle (a.k.a. Spokane sized Quebec City).

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Seattle is the better market. Seattle wins.

Really? Right now, no U.S. market is a better market than any Canadian market except for NYC. I'm not trying to be a dick, because I would like to see Seattle get a team, but you're talking about potential vs. reality, and the reality is the Canadian teams are kicking the U.S. teams' ass right now economically.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
No doubt. If the Coyotes need to be moved for next season, I will be absolutely shocked if they don't end up in QC. Why? QC has been standing in the line a lot longer and is prepared to take a team on short notice. Seattle, not so much.

We're talking the NHL here. It's not who is first in line, who is richer, who is better, it's who is American and viable....

...hello Seattle!

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Really? Right now, no U.S. market is a better market than any Canadian market except for NYC.

Seattle is by far the best open market for the NHL. NYC has three teams already and every large and moderately sized Canadian market already has the NHL.

Seattle will also serve Canadian fans. The third largest population center in Canada is within reasonable driving distance of Seattle.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Seattle is by far the best open market for the NHL. NYC has three teams already and every large and moderately sized Canadian market already has the NHL.

In terms of revenues, this is simply incorrect, I'm sorry. Chicago is a massive city that likes hockey. Detroit is a massive city that likes hockey. And yet they too lag behind the Canadian teams right now in terms of game-day revenues. You're saying Seattle is a better hockey market than Detroit and Chicago? Really? No one is saying the NHL shouldn't be in Seattle. But when you claim it's a better market than QC, you have to be able to back it up. And the numbers right now don't support your argument.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
As a non-Canadian (but a Nordiques fan from back in the day), I have to say, forget short-sighted. As Don Cherry said the other night, Canadian teams currently generate 40 percent of the league's revenues. Six of the top seven teams in terms of game-day revenues are Canadian, and almost certainly seven of the top eight including Winnipeg. With Quebec it would be eight of the top nine. It makes eminent business sense to have a team in Quebec City, especially considering Canada's economy is likely to be better than that of the U.S. for at least the next few years.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team, but QC right now makes a LOT of sense economically for the league.

1.) While it may be true, I'd like a more concrete source other than Don Cherry.

2.) Note that it specifies game day revenues. What are the top overall revenue producing teams?

There are more factors at play here than tickets sold. Yes, they do drive a good chunk of revenue, but there is a reason why the whole league isn't in Canada.

Bob1321

Feb 13, 2008
la-marche-bleue.jpg

I dont think Seattle can do this for bring a hockey team...

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

Seattle will also serve Canadian fans. The third largest population center in Canada is within reasonable driving distance of Seattle.

Yeah, shame Vancouver doesn't have a team...

...wait a minute...:skeptic:

Puckschmuck*

Yeah, shame Vancouver doesn't have a team...

...wait a minute...:skeptic:

I know. Why would Nucks fans want to drive down to Seattle just to watch a team that isn't their own simply because tickets might be "cheaper" :huh:

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

Have you ever heard of the Vancouver Canucks?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

You are both right. Both cities getting a team very soon is whats best.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Where was NBC last year to argue against the Thrashers move? Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule they were unaware Atlanta even had a team.

Those deals happened almost simultaneously so the framework was in place knowing Atlanta wouldn't be there.

And NBC has a Canadian, or even 2 Canadian teams on broadcast about as often as CBC has an American or 2 American teams on ( and for the latter unless it's the playoffs it's the never).

If being a rabid fan was the only requirement Canada would have more teams and as was stated earlier ... This is a thread about Seattle getting a team. Why don't all the Canadians who seem to take it personal that the NHL would somehow relocate the Coyotes somewhere other than QC just go post in that thread. This one is about a Seattle NHL team ... And for all your foot stomping, believe it or not Seattle is a great market and if they figure out the arena they will be at the top of the list.

QC has it's own issues to work out anyway. Pick a site and figure out how to keep that arena at $400MM. No small task and not a done deal despite what many want to believe. I hope they get it done and they get a team but some of you guys need to quite taking things so personal ...

Last edited:

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site

Quebec isn't ready yet either! When shovel hits dirt they will be closer. If the arena goes over $400MM who is going to cover those costs? The QC mayor is so worried about it he has appointed someone to oversee costs. Another $40MM soil issue and then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad