Metro Exodus

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I preordered it on Steam when I found out they were switching it to be an Epic store exclusive. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and the dev team went on to make the Metro games. I never thought 2033 or Last Light filled the real S.TA.L.K.E.R. fix I needed.

That being said, I'm 4 hours in and holy shit, Metro Exodus is exactly what I would expect from a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in a modern engine. Everything about it screams it, way more than the previous two Metro games did. There's so much to explore, the atmosphere is incredible, the game is incredibly tense, I don't even know what I want to fight more, mutants or humans, because they're all so deadly. I'm having an absolute blast so far. I definitely see myself putting a ton of time into this game just exploring every nook and cranny as slowly as possible because I'm too scared to keep going.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is this basically Fallout if Fallout were good? Or Fallout combined with something like RAGE?

It’s really piquing my interest and having played through Metro 2033 a few years back, I don’t remember that game being open world like this one apparently is. 2033 felt more like a modern Wolfenstein than anything else to me.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I was going to pick it up until they pulled that stunt with Steam/Epic Store. Seems like a underhanded move to switch just a few weeks before launch. No interest in downloading yet another launcher onto my computer for just one game. I'll wait a year and patientgamer it once it is no longer exclusive.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Is this basically Fallout if Fallout were good? Or Fallout combined with something like RAGE?

It’s really piquing my interest and having played through Metro 2033 a few years back, I don’t remember that game being open world like this one apparently is. 2033 felt more like a modern Wolfenstein than anything else to me.
I'm still on the first level which is quite large, there's a good amount to explore. I'm probably 3 hours into the level and still have things to do. I'm hoping the rest of the game is as open as this level is.

As for Fallout, I'm not sure how to really compare it. The levels are a lot smaller than the Fallout world obviously. There's plenty to explore and to do within the first level. The gunplay is fit to the theme. Shots don't always go where you want because the guns are shitty and you have to find new parts and upgrade your gun or just find better guns. There is a day/night cycle, more humans during the day, more monsters at night, you pick what works better for you. There's a minimal crafting system that is just kind of there.

I also wouldn't compare it to Rage, Rage was faster paced, this one is slower and more methodical. The only games I can really compare it to is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series but if you haven't played those, I can't really do too much else to describe it to you.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm still on the first level which is quite large, there's a good amount to explore. I'm probably 3 hours into the level and still have things to do. I'm hoping the rest of the game is as open as this level is.

As for Fallout, I'm not sure how to really compare it. The levels are a lot smaller than the Fallout world obviously. There's plenty to explore and to do within the first level. The gunplay is fit to the theme. Shots don't always go where you want because the guns are ****ty and you have to find new parts and upgrade your gun or just find better guns. There is a day/night cycle, more humans during the day, more monsters at night, you pick what works better for you. There's a minimal crafting system that is just kind of there.

I also wouldn't compare it to Rage, Rage was faster paced, this one is slower and more methodical. The only games I can really compare it to is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series but if you haven't played those, I can't really do too much else to describe it to you.

I'll pick it up soon since I'm running out of Arkham games to replay. As for the comparison to Fallout, I guess what I really meant to ask is if there's things to do in the world in Metro Exodus as opposed to just wandering the wasteland in Fallout? I prefer more direction when it comes to my open worlds, although I do enjoy getting lost every once in a while.

I've never played the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series before, but I've read about it a good amount. I was a bit too young to really appreciate them when they first came out, so my first experience with a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque game was Metro 2033. I really liked it, but like I said before, it felt kind of liner, like how Wolfenstein games today feel linear.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There's not really much in way of side-quests. You can find random people, some are friendly, some not, that can have some interesting conversations with you. None of them have dialogue trees where you can choose how to respond, they just tell some interesting stories. The majority of it is exploration for the sake of exploration but if the world interests you, you'll want to go exploring. I always loved these games because it felt like the most realistic apocalypse games to me. It wasn't just all desert, there are dilapidated buildings, makeshift homes in abandoned railcars, stuff like that. You can find some better guns or attachments with plenty of crafting materials. There's really only 2 different kind but it's nice to stock pile up while exploring.

There are some enemy bases you can attack and I always loved attacking them in open world games. These are also a ton of fun to clear out. I did just go through a large terminal that was very linear but it was just one big building, the rest of the game has felt open and has allowed me to approach how I want. I'm still on the first "level" after like 4-5 hours on it and exploring everything. I'm still hoping that the next levels will be just as open and fun to explore as this one was.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I enjoyed the first two games, so I'll probably grab this eventually when the price inevitably plunges. I love the atmosphere/setting, but the gameplay never quite did it for me. I still have high hopes for this one though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad