Metro Division Prediction

Who makes the playoffs from the Metro Division?

• Islanders

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Rangers

Votes: 33 89.2%
  • Devils

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • Flyers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penguins

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Capitals

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Hurricanes

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • Blue Jackets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Who do you think makes the playoffs from the Metro?

Choose up to 5 teams if you feel this division will have 2 Wild cards teams, 4 teams if you feel only 1 WC, and 3 if you feel no WC choices.

LISTEN UP! - You can make up to FIVE selections. 5 selections on this poll. Do NOT be that poster who chooses one team.

Poll closes in one week.

Reactions: attilatheislander

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The same four as last year, maybe the Islanders get knocked out by the Penguins but I'm not high on that team even with their new addition.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Rags explode and win the Presidents trophy. Lavy gets them going and Laf and Kakko take it to All Star levels. Enjoy the rest of the summer fellas. Canes, Devs then Isles

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Rags explode and win the Presidents trophy. Lavy gets them going and Laf and Kakko take it to All Star levels. Enjoy the rest of the summer fellas. Canes, Devs then Isles
I'll be the contrarian and say Shesterkin goes down for an extended time and they flounder with Quick :sarcasm:

Reactions: mm11

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Carolina, Jersey, The birds that cant fly, Rags,

why? Our team is too FN slow. anyone watch last seasons nhl playoffs . Dems be some fast skating teams. LGI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Metro thoughts...

The Isles have to be gunning for 3rd or 4th place in the division. Dunno if that'll be much more than a wildcard spot, if even that.

I'm thoroughly convinced that only a rash of injuries can see Carolina finish anywhere other than first in this division. Heck, they may take the conference.

Jersey has the talent and the youthful legs, but I can see them being less successful than last season. Their D looks a little different and although they have some shiny guys who look a bit ready, those guys still have to learn on the fly. There's always growing pains.

Amazingly, Pittsburgh didn't do anything positive with their goaltending, and that was the achilles heel. They should be about the wildest run-n-gun outfit in the east, but unless something happens in the crease, I see them battling for the wildcard spot yet again.

I think Washington is going to be better than last year, even if they too have to be worried about declining offensive assets. Still, they've got a lot of guys who look like bounce-back candidates. And now there are 2 or 3 kids who should be making more music. They too should be in the wildcard race.

Columbus was out of the picture early last year, but it felt like roughly the entire top 4 on the blueline missed most all of the season. They've definitely got the firepower to rebound offensively and have a whole bunch of talented youngsters, one or two of which may be ready to contribute - in addition to Boqvist, Johnson, and Sillinger.

Philly looks like the team that has too much of a road to climb, but I think they're going to be a tough team to play against more consistently this year. And Torts gets these guys putting out a strong effort more often than not. They're gonna play a role in knocking teams out of the playoff race late in the season.

This all said, each of Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit - perhaps in that order - are closer to making the show and I can't see all three out of the playoffs. One of them is prolly making it. The big question is going to be what to expect out of Florida, Boston, and Tampa. We know things are looking tougher on paper for all three (especially B-town). I'm resigned to seeing Montreal out of the playoffs, but they're actually further along than Philly, so they'll do some damage to someone's playoff hopes along the way, especially if Caufield gets 70+ games in this season.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Metro thoughts...

The Isles have to be gunning for 3rd or 4th place in the division. Dunno if that'll be much more than a wildcard spot, if even that.

I'm thoroughly convinced that only a rash of injuries can see Carolina finish anywhere other than first in this division. Heck, they may take the conference.

Jersey has the talent and the youthful legs, but I can see them being less successful than last season. Their D looks a little different and although they have some shiny guys who look a bit ready, those guys still have to learn on the fly. There's always growing pains.

Amazingly, Pittsburgh didn't do anything positive with their goaltending, and that was the achilles heel. They should be about the wildest run-n-gun outfit in the east, but unless something happens in the crease, I see them battling for the wildcard spot yet again.

I think Washington is going to be better than last year, even if they too have to be worried about declining offensive assets. Still, they've got a lot of guys who look like bounce-back candidates. And now there are 2 or 3 kids who should be making more music. They too should be in the wildcard race.

Columbus was out of the picture early last year, but it felt like roughly the entire top 4 on the blueline missed most all of the season. They've definitely got the firepower to rebound offensively and have a whole bunch of talented youngsters, one or two of which may be ready to contribute - in addition to Boqvist, Johnson, and Sillinger.

Philly looks like the team that has too much of a road to climb, but I think they're going to be a tough team to play against more consistently this year. And Torts gets these guys putting out a strong effort more often than not. They're gonna play a role in knocking teams out of the playoff race late in the season.

This all said, each of Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit - perhaps in that order - are closer to making the show and I can't see all three out of the playoffs. One of them is prolly making it. The big question is going to be what to expect out of Florida, Boston, and Tampa. We know things are looking tougher on paper for all three (especially B-town). I'm resigned to seeing Montreal out of the playoffs, but they're actually further along than Philly, so they'll do some damage along the way, especially if Caufield gets 70+ games in this season.
For the Isles, it will come down to whether both wild card teams come from the Metro. If so, then we'll be one of the two. If we're underestimating Buffalo or Ottawa we could be on the outside looking in this year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This season feels like it should be much tighter top to bottom in each division. Carolina and Toronto are the biggest locks to make the playoffs but after that things start to level off pretty quickly. It'll be really interesting to see how Tampa Bay does this year with a little more rest.

ryanc334

Aug 25, 2023
Metro thoughts...

This all said, each of Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit - perhaps in that order - are closer to making the show and I can't see all three out of the playoffs. One of them is prolly making it. The big question is going to be what to expect out of Florida, Boston, and Tampa. We know things are looking tougher on paper for all three (especially B-town). I'm resigned to seeing Montreal out of the playoffs, but they're actually further along than Philly, so they'll do some damage to someone's playoff hopes along the way, especially if Caufield gets 70+ games in this season.
How can you give thoughts on the Metro and not even mention NYR?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I really do not know what to expect from this team. They have an avg roster and will likely finish with an avg record instead of being an outlier.

Questions I have that could determine the outcome:

Does Barzal and Dobson take the next step in their development?

Does Pelech rebound? He wasn’t the stalwart we’ve come to appreciate last year.

Can Wahlstrom reach 20 goals?

Does Romanov become a true, 2nd pairing shutdown defender?

Are we seeing 25 or 35 goals from Horvat?

Does Sorokin continue where he left off?

Will they score enough?

Is Lambert a better coach in year two?

Overall I think the roster is better than a year ago, but still not good enough. Here’s hoping they surprise us by challenging for the 3rd spot in the Metro.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I really do not know what to expect from this team. They have an avg roster and will likely finish with an avg record instead of being an outlier.

Questions I have that could determine the outcome:

Does Barzal and Dobson take the next step in their development?

Does Pelech rebound? He wasn’t the stalwart we’ve come to appreciate last year.

Can Wahlstrom reach 20 goals?

Does Romanov become a true, 2nd pairing shutdown defender?

Are we seeing 25 or 35 goals from Horvat?

Does Sorokin continue where he left off?

Will they score enough?

Is Lambert a better coach in year two?

Overall I think the roster is better than a year ago, but still not good enough. Here’s hoping they surprise us by challenging for the 3rd spot in the Metro.
The fact that going into Year 8 of his career we are still saying “if Mat Barzal…” troubles me greatly.

Now it’s “if Mat Barzal and Bo Horvat can mesh well together.” Barzy has not played at a high level for all 82 games since his rookie year. He is streaky and I have serious doubts about him and Bo Horvat together. I think Barzal is a difficult player to be linemates with. 7 games together last year is nothing. And I think much of our success this season will hinge on those two. If they don’t click together that could be the difference between finishing as high as 3rd in the Metro and scuffling for the last wild card spot.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The fact that going into Year 8 of his career we are still saying “if Mat Barzal…” troubles me greatly.

Now it’s “if Mat Barzal and Bo Horvat can mesh well together.” Barzy has not played at a high level for all 82 games since his rookie year. He is streaky and I have serious doubts about him and Bo Horvat together. I think Barzal is a difficult player to be linemates with. 7 games together last year is nothing. And I think much of our success this season will hinge on those two. If they don’t click together that could be the difference between finishing as high as 3rd in the Metro and scuffling for the last wild card spot.
It troubles me as well; he still has upside in the mental aspects of the game. He could also improve his shot and take more of a shooter’s mentality.

I want to see 75/80 pts out of him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
ISLANDERS METRO PREDICTION 23-24 season

IMG_7239.jpeg

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think there's a wide amount of uncertainty wrt the division. My thoughts:

1. IMO Devils have momentum. They are hitting their stride, and I can see them taking that 2nd jump like Chicago did when they moved on to their first cup. I'm betting on Luke Hughes. Yeah, he's inexperienced, but he's so smart, and athletic. Tom Fitzgerald is hitting his stride.

2. Rangers - They have to feel some urgency, especially if Panarin is declining. The other 2 of their big 3 forwards (Zib, Kreider) are always streaky, but I think they're so athletic that I wouldn't worry about physical decline, yet. But their D is improving imo, and they have a true #1 goaltender.

3. Carolina - Less confident about them. I think Carolina could potentially face distractions. It's bizarre to me that they would set up a scenario with De'Angelo vs Chatfield for the final RD spot. That + signing Bunting are, tbh, two head scratchers for me. I guess they want more chaos? The fact that they weren't confident about the #1 goalie in the playoffs is a red flag.

4 - 6: Mix NYI, PITT Washington. All have major question marks. Could be any order, imo.

7 - 8 CBJ / Philadelphia. Columbus acquired two of my least favorite defensemen in the division in Provorov, and Severson. Expecting Fantili to come in, and be a #1 C from jump is what they need to compete. Frankly, I don't understand why they did what they did. Tbh both teams feel like the Flyers, but at least the Flyers are trying not to be the Flyers anymore, maybe...

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think there's a wide amount of uncertainty wrt the division. My thoughts:

1. IMO Devils have momentum. They are hitting their stride, and I can see them taking that 2nd jump like Chicago did when they moved on to their first cup. I'm betting on Luke Hughes. Yeah, he's inexperienced, but he's so smart, and athletic. Tom Fitzgerald is hitting his stride.

2. Rangers - They have to feel some urgency, especially if Panarin is declining. The other 2 of their big 3 forwards (Zib, Kreider) are always streaky, but I think they're so athletic that I wouldn't worry about physical decline, yet. But their D is improving imo, and they have a true #1 goaltender.

3. Carolina - Less confident about them. I think Carolina could potentially face distractions. It's bizarre to me that they would set up a scenario with De'Angelo vs Chatfield for the final RD spot. That + signing Bunting are, tbh, two head scratchers for me. I guess they want more chaos? The fact that they weren't confident about the #1 goalie in the playoffs is a red flag.

4 - 6: Mix NYI, PITT Washington. All have major question marks. Could be any order, imo.

7 - 8 CBJ / Philadelphia. Columbus acquired two of my least favorite defensemen in the division in Provorov, and Severson. Expecting Fantili to come in, and be a #1 C from jump is what they need to compete. Frankly, I don't understand why they did what they did. Tbh both teams feel like the Flyers, but at least the Flyers are trying not to be the Flyers anymore, maybe...
Today, September 5th, I think the only thing that keeps the Devils out of the Stanley Cup conversation is their goaltending.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Today, September 5th, I think the only thing that keeps the Devils out of the Stanley Cup conversation is their goaltending.
They'll almost certainly have a great regular season. IDK about the playoffs, and not just goaltending. To be in the Cup conversation they'd have to navigate their way through the grind of 4 playoff series. We'll see if they have the roster (and experience) for that.

Reactions: Throttle

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think it keeps them out of the conversation. I don't think there's a prohibitive favorite in the east. NJ has almost everything - strong center depth, dynamic wingers, and a PP weapon at the point. I think Hughes will be that smooth puck mover who can play 25 minutes very quickly. I think they're better than Carolina right now, and Carolina has goaltending questions, too. I don't think there's much separating Samsonov and Vanicek, and I like NJ's skaters better than Toronto.

If Tampa can rebound, and they go head to head in a playoffs series with NJ, then I'd probably take Tampa. That's the difference Vasilevskiy would make for me. But Tampa bouncing back is imo a bigger question than NJ's G. So, right now, I like NJ best in the conference because I think the teams with top-tier goalies have even more questions wrt their skaters. (Boston - centers, Tampa - age, reduced depth, Rangers - forwards not as good as other top teams).

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They'll almost certainly have a great regular season. IDK about the playoffs, and not just goaltending. To be in the Cup conversation they'd have to navigate their way through the grind of 4 playoff series. We'll see if they have the roster (and experience) for that.
They gained some experience last season. Adding another playoff tested vet like. Tyler Toffoli is another move pointing in the postseason direction.. I think Fitzgerald recognizes where the Devils came up short.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad