Methot's Contract Comparables

CaptainKarl

Feb 16, 2015
Ottawa
Where does Methot's 4 year $4.9 Million AAV rank among comparable defenders?

Methot's has an AVV of $4.9 occurring over age 30-34

Marc Staal has an AVV of 5.7 occurring over age 28-34

Brooks Orpik has an AVV of 5.5 occurring over ages 33-38

Despite Orpik's contract being trash, it serves as realistic evidence of what can be demanded on the open market. MY question is where would Methots Contract rank comparably to Staal and Orpik's. IMO its the best deal of the 3 as its and cheapest and safe term and arguably equivalent play. It also ensures Methot staying in Ottawa through strictly through his prime.

Also where does this leave the market for other comparable defence man? Both trade and free agent?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is a great deal for the Senators and he took quite a discount to play for Ottawa

That is all that matters

BigBush*

Could have for sure got 5 years at a slightly higher cap hit in free agency. Looks like a great contract right now

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm going through all the teams. He is making more than most of the #2s. We don't have to cry for the guy, he's fortunate to be where he is.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I'm going through all the teams. He is making more than most of the #2s. We don't have to cry for the guy, he's fortunate to be where he is.

Contracts signed pre-lockout really can't be compared ones signed after.

But yes, Methot's salary is fair for both sides.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Given the state of our franchise, we are lucky he wanted to stick around. We are in no position to get all high and mighty. Methot could easily get 5.5+ on the open market. Easily.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

It really depends when the contract was signed and the ages of the players. Considering what other D-men got last year, I think it was a fair deal.

He definitely would have gotten more on July 1.

BigBush*

Probably are going to see some awful contracts on July 1 making Methots look great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad