Metal gear solid master collection volume 1, Which order is best?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Metal gear is arguably the biggest series I had missed up to this point It's either MGS or Assinans Creed.

So When the Metal gear solid master collection volume 1 came out, I picked it the first chance I got Which was about a week ago.

Now that I'm done with legend of zelda links aweakening, It's time to move on to the Metal gear solid master collection.

But before I do I want to know what the best order to play these games in is?

Release year or chronological order, and if possible without spoilers why?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Metal gear is arguably the biggest series I had missed up to this point It's either MGS or Assinans Creed.

So When the Metal gear solid master collection volume 1 came out, I picked it the first chance I got Which was about a week ago.

Now that I'm done with legend of zelda links aweakening, It's time to move on to the Metal gear solid master collection.

But before I do I want to know what the best order to play these games in is?

Release year or chronological order, and if possible without spoilers why?
MGS is incredible, probably my 2nd favorite franchise ever. You're in for a treat. I'm jealous you'll get to experience it for the first time, wish I could do that again.

I would recommend playing them in release order starting with Metal Gear Solid (1998 PS1 game). I think it would be too confusing to try to play them in chronological order storyline-wise. The story develops over each installment and things are filled in revealed retro-actively in different titles. There would also be some spoilers and some references that you wouldnt understand if you play the games chronologically.

If you're particularly into Nintendo-era games you could try starting with the NES games Metal Gear, but I generally recommend starting at MGS1 which is where the series really kicked off and became what it was.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
MGS is incredible, probably my 2nd favorite franchise ever. You're in for a treat. I'm jealous you'll get to experience it for the first time, wish I could do that again.

I would recommend playing them in release order starting with Metal Gear Solid (1998 PS1 game). I think it would be too confusing to try to play them in chronological order storyline-wise. The story develops over each installment and things are filled in revealed retro-actively in different titles. There would also be some spoilers and some references that you wouldnt understand if you play the games chronologically.

If you're particularly into Nintendo-era games you could try starting with the NES games Metal Gear, but I generally recommend starting at MGS1 which is where the series really kicked off and became what it was.

I'm playing them all, I was just wondering if I should start with MGS 3 because as far as I'm aware MGS 3 is the first game chronologically

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm playing them all, I was just wondering if I should start with MGS 3 because as far as I'm aware MGS 3 is the first game chronologically
I got what you mean, sorry if I rambled a bit there and wasn't too clear lol.

Yes MGS3 is the first chronologically, but I would personally recommend playing the games in order of release, rather than playing chronologically. Most hardcore fans of MGS series recommend this.

Playing chronologically would open you up to spoilers and makes the storyline even more confusing as well as being a jarring experience from a mechanics standpoint.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's rarely a good idea to play a game from a more recent generation before an older one. Especially since the first MGS is a PS1 game which means it's an early 3D game. It will just feel terrible if you play that after a PS2 game like MGS3.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad