Meta "Threads" - NJD Contingent

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I only had that for a little until AIM took over the world for a minute. Back then AIM and meeting people you met online was considered very strange. Fast forward 15 or even 20 years and it’s odd if you didn’t go on dates through apps. :laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How about America Online chat rooms? Rolling it back to 1995 here, maybe even 1994?

That was probably the first place I actually discussed hockey online.

I never met anyone on AIM. I would just chat with the people I knew in real life on there.

It was before the vast majority of people had cell phones and texting wasn’t really a universal thing yet, because not everybody or even close to almost everybody had cell phones yet.

Reactions: Billdo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
How about America Online chat rooms? Rolling it back to 1995 here, maybe even 1994?

I never met anyone on AIM. I would just chat with the people I knew in real life on there.

It was before the vast majority of people had cell phones and texting wasn’t really a universal thing yet, because not everybody or even close to almost everybody had cell phones yet.
i definitely f***ed with immature, passive aggressive away messages back in the day

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've definitely told this story on here, though I'm pretty sure it's been 10 years or more and if it hasn't been, close enough. Actually, it was probably in 2017, which was the last I had texted and had a few phone calls with this person.

Back in the late 90's, like I'm talking the beginning of AIM or it could have even been Yahoo. I made the mistake of giving my screen name to this girl that was the girlfriend of a friend's younger brother. Once I gave it to her, she would message me every time I got on (the door opening and shutting noise!), it was starting to really make me feel uncomfortable. She sent me a very long message professing her love for me (lol) and I think she kept doing it every time I would get on. She told me her mom approves of me and was already planning our wedding. It was some of the weirdest shit ever. It got to the point where when I saw her on, I would immediately either put up the hidden feature or just sign out altogether. She would also confess things to me, like her self mutilation and cutting. I had never really heard of people cutting and self mutilation before that.

I would sign back in and see all these messages from her like ''You got off right after you saw me on! You're avoiding me!''

The weird part in all of this was that this girl was about 14-15 years old and I was like 20-21 or so. At one point I got a message from her months and months later with her saying something like ''GUESSSSSSS WHAAAATTTTTTTT?????? I'MMMMMMM FINALLLLYYYYYYYY OVVERRRRRRR YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!''. And then once I entertained her messages, she started the cycle all over again. I guess I eventually got rid of her. I don't think I blocked her, but I told her ''Dude, you're like in the early years of high school, I'm 20-whatever, stop messaging me!''.

And I didn't hear from her again for probably 7 or 8 years, We were re-acquainted somehow, probably from mutual friends. She had moved to like the Carolinas or something, had a bunch of kids, pretty sure she didn't have custody of these kids, and she definitely lost them all later. At this time we had a thing together, because I'm in my late 20's, she's in her early 20's. I'm pretty sure we had some dumb fight and falling out around Thanksgiving of 2007 and stopped talking for close to 10 years.

Got back in touch early in 2017 and she had tons of baggage by this point. She was a MESS! Her ex-husband had all of her kids because she left him, cheated on him, whatever. And she told me she's now a recovering addict. I asked her how long she's been clean for now and she replied something like ''A couple of weeks''. At this point, I think we exchanged a few texts, had a couple of phone calls and I just said ''Well hey! Nice hearing from you! Keep in touch!''.

She may not even be alive anymore, for all I know, though I suspect she is. Someone that we both know probably would have told me if she died. If we're both still living by 2027, I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere. I haven't went 10 years without hearing from her.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I've definitely told this story on here, though I'm pretty sure it's been 10 years or more and if it hasn't been, close enough. Actually, it was probably in 2017, which was the last I had texted and had a few phone calls with this person.

Back in the late 90's, like I'm talking the beginning of AIM or it could have even been Yahoo. I made the mistake of giving my screen name to this girl that was the girlfriend of a friend's younger brother. Once I gave it to her, she would message me every time I got on (the door opening and shutting noise!), it was starting to really make me feel uncomfortable. She sent me a very long message professing her love for me (lol) and I think she kept doing it every time I would get on. She told me her mom approves of me and was already planning our wedding. It was some of the weirdest shit ever. It got to the point where when I saw her on, I would immediately either put up the hidden feature or just sign out altogether. She would also confess things to me, like her self mutilation and cutting. I had never really heard of people cutting and self mutilation before that.

I would sign back in and see all these messages from her like ''You got off right after you saw me on! You're avoiding me!''

The weird part in all of this was that this girl was about 14-15 years old and I was like 20-21 or so. At one point I got a message from her months and months later with her saying something like ''GUESSSSSSS WHAAAATTTTTTTT?????? I'MMMMMMM FINALLLLYYYYYYYY OVVERRRRRRR YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!''. And then once I entertained her messages, she started the cycle all over again. I guess I eventually got rid of her. I don't think I blocked her, but I told her ''Dude, you're like in the early years of high school, I'm 20-whatever, stop messaging me!''.

And I didn't hear from her again for probably 7 or 8 years, We were re-acquainted somehow, probably from mutual friends. She had moved to like the Carolinas or something, had a bunch of kids, pretty sure she didn't have custody of these kids, and she definitely lost them all later. At this time we had a thing together, because I'm in my late 20's, she's in her early 20's. I'm pretty sure we had some dumb fight and falling out around Thanksgiving of 2007 and stopped talking for close to 10 years.

Got back in touch early in 2017 and she had tons of baggage by this point. She was a MESS! Her ex-husband had all of her kids because she left him, cheated on him, whatever. And she told me she's now a recovering addict. I asked her how long she's been clean for now and she replied something like ''A couple of weeks''. At this point, I think we exchanged a few texts, had a couple of phone calls and I just said ''Well hey! Nice hearing from you! Keep in touch!''.

She may not even be alive anymore, for all I know, though I suspect she is. Someone that we both know probably would have told me if she died. If we're both still living by 2027, I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere. I haven't went 10 years without hearing from her.
I really appreciate you sharing stories like this. I legit lol’d when you said you guys ended up having a thing together… you dog.

I do picture her currently peering through your window though :laugh:

• Haha

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

• Haha

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really appreciate you sharing stories like this. I legit lol’d when you said you guys ended up having a thing together… you dog.

I do picture her currently peering through your window though :laugh:

Funny enough, this is actually a girl from around here. This isn't a Jersey girl. I met her when I used to come down here on vacation in the 90's. Our thing happened when I would come down here to vacation in the mid to late 00's. I think she disappeared back to the Carolinas again sometimes between 2008 and 2011. I moved here in 2011. She told me in 2017 her story of the last 9 or 10 years before that, but I forgot what she had said.

I actually thought about her quite a bit between 2007-2017. I didn't like the bad terms we had parted on and take full responsibility for it. I had tried to reach out not too many months later (so probably sometime in 2008) and her number was changed. When I moved down here I remember thinking ''Man, I wonder what she would think if she knew I finally moved down here?''.

Then she made her way up back here in 2017, I'm guessing when she had no place to go. She went to go live with one of her parents, which isn't far from here. I've had the same number for a really long time, but I think she asked our mutual friend for it when she came back here. I doubt she remembered it. We had started to make plans to see each other (just to catch up), but I lost interest when she told me all of her horror stories, as well as the addict thing. I don't think she wound up staying here for long. She rarely crosses my mind anymore, though obviously this thread triggered her memories.

I found out not too long after this that one of my best friends was/is badly addicted to opiates/fetanyl/heroin/whatever. After that, I wondered if maybe I should have had more sympathy for her and her drug problem, but there was loads of baggage associated with her as of 2017. Not just the drugs that had claimed to be clean of for a whole couple of weeks.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

A/S/L?

• Haha

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think MSN Messenger was when I first started talking hockey back in the day, then I found my first hockey message board, which I'm so old I don't even remember what it was. It was mainly a site for mods and/or posting dynasty stories for whatever version of NHL was out at the time (I wanna say 2001 or 2002) that also had a section for just hockey talk. Then there were a couple of now defunct boards I posted at before mainly settling here. One of which I was a mod at and decided I would never do it again.

I remember when we had dial up and I wasn't supposed to use it when my parents were out of the house and I would use it anyway and then they'd come home and be like "we tried calling but the line was busy" and I made up some lame ass excuse like telemarketers wouldn't stop calling or something, thinking they wouldn't figure it out. They were nice enough to humor my dumb ass for a while and play along.:laugh:

Christ I feel like that old guy sitting around telling "back in my day..." stories now.

• Haha

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dial up internet now seems like a thing from the stone ages. Right up there with the days when most people didn’t have cell phones (never mind smart phones) yet.

I also remember posting on forums about NASCAR. I was actually a pretty big NASCAR fan in the 80’s (as a child) and even probably up through the turn of the millennium as a young adult. I kind of stopped watching around 2000, but would still turn it on once in a while and attended a few races over the years since in Pocono and Dover. I’d go see a live race tomorrow, but I don’t have any interest in watching on TV anymore. I totally do not at all relate to good ole’ boy culture/southern culture.

Pretty sure I posted on MLB forums too, as I was a pretty big baseball fan in the early internet days. Not so much no more. I haven’t been into baseball as much as hockey since I was probably about 12-14 and I don’t have the time or interest to keep up with 162 games a year. And since I migrated south, I don’t get Mets games anymore and don’t order the package because like I said, no time for 162 games a year.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Broad platform social media is not a good thing in my view. Giving the average person access to potentially millions of followers is a recipe for the ills it has created. Conspiracies healing cancer with water and weird extremist political stuff that is obvious BS but people believe etc.

Someone once repeated a saying to me that has some validity. Think about how ignorant the average person is. Then remember that half are even worse.

Many moons ago (15 years now, or so), I was the chief solutions architect for an insurance company and I worked closely with the chief architect and we both called social media antisocial media and predicted it would make people less capable of actually communicating with each other.

I'm sorry to say we were absolutely right.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Many moons ago (15 years now, or so), I was the chief solutions architect for an insurance company and I worked closely with the chief architect and we both called social media antisocial media and predicted it would make people less capable of actually communicating with each other.

I'm sorry to say we were absolutely right.
The people pushing anything are those who stand to gain from it. Whether it helps those who use it is almost irrelevant at times. People want to believe in the things that seem to good to be true.

Reactions: forceten

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Social media hit its peak with MySpace and maybe early Facebook when the goal of social media was to actually be social. Meaning to reconnect with friends you haven't seen in 10-20 years, find long, lost family, etc

Now it's just become a data mining tool and a digital billboard for companies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Social media reminds me of that quote from Men In Black.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad