Post-Game Talk (GBU): Meszaros is the key to McEichel

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
G:
Ristolainen - lot's of progress, looks nothing like a rookie.
Deslauriers - best game of the year, finishes checks, took a fight. Him, Cody Mac and Flynn had a good game together.
Neuvirth - solid
Ennis - speedy, irrational, played physical. He tried getting things done, but...

B:
...Stewart and Mitchell can't control the puck.
Girgensons. It's a bit unfair to put him in the bad-department, he did a lot that puts him in the good, but he was getting pushed around quite a bit in the third and started glancing at the refs instead of just get back in the play like he usually does. Also the hit on Zadorov is partially on Girgs. He let's his man pass to finish the check. He's got to protect his teammate better there, alow him to play the puck and not get killed. I'm a fan boy, hands down, but the kid is still young and because he is so good and plays so mature night after night, we seem to forget it.
Larsson was pretty useless.
Moulson was just as useless while making a lot more money.

U:
The hit on Zadorov. Everytime I see a hit like that, I think "Imagine what the penalty would have been if Kaleta had delivered that hit".
Meszaros. It's far beyond bad. His descision making tells me he's stupid. His play when under pressure is about ok, but when he has time he makes the most incredibly boneheaded plays I've ever seen.
Refs not understanding hybrid icing or the fact that the goalie actually has to have the puck in order to block it. It's not enough that the puck is "somewhere in the same post code area as the goalie".

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Hodgson really stood out to me, was taking more shot, was playing smarter in the Sabre zone, even toppled a Hab in front of Noidberg
-Zad returned after that hit
-Zemgus faceoffs
-Gionta in the shootout, just nice to see him score against his former team
-McCormick
-Noidberg

B- Myers blocking shots, the effort is great but not really wanting him getting a busted foot
-Moulson needs to start scoring

U- the Mez.

I was going to say the Habs looked lethargic, but so did the Wings, Sharks and Bruins. Too early to say if the Sabres are viewed as a day off or if they are wearing teams down. Maybe a combination.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
G
- Zad hitting, getting hit and getting right back up
- ZG is a monster on the boards, at the dot and back-checking. Taking the puck from Gallagher in the 3rd -- from behind, was a great play
- Noidberg was very solid
- Risto/Mez were solid... Mez could have had 2 PPG's from Ennis
- Cody/Daylo/Walt Jr. were the best line of the night
- Larsson's possession skills along the boards, he won battles
- Stewart's skating, he's very fluid
- Stafford with the PPG and overall hustle

B
- Montreal's forecheck in OT. Sabres were lucky not to get burned
- Sabres deserved the W... some ppl may put this in the Good category

U
- Sekac's blindside hit. Seemed like he was trying to exact revenge for almost ending up on a stretcher in the 1st.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Did they finish the game with a positive corsi? If so, when's the last time that happened?

Stewart was horrendous last night. The man has all the tools in the world, but lacks the IQ to take his game to the next level. Zadorov needs major improvements in his defensive awareness. Mez was pretty good until he had two horrendous tunovers in two consecutive shifts. Mitchell forechecked hard but the play died on his stick. It was nice to see Hodgson getting his nose dirty and putting some pucks on net. Neuv was great. The team competed hard. The bottom 6 is infinity better than last year.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Zads got blown by on the wall a few times. He's too raw for the NHL imo.

Hodgson had one of his better games this year.

McCormick with a couple nifty plays.

Montreal didn't look to take that game very seriously.

I'm worried about Columbus stealing 1OA

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
G - Girgensons (and maybe even the rest of the team) winning some faceoffs, Stafford looking like the better trade bait between our pending UFA RWs, Neuvirth starting to lock down the role of starting goalie

B - At times Zads looked either slow-footed or late reacting to the play. He could have not put himself in that position to get hit in the back but glad he toughed it out and continued to play. Getting a point...I know we're still last with extra games played but a point earned is an opportunity lost, lol

U - Mez was terrible. At first glance I would think it was Zads then he would turn a little more and I'd see it was 41 and not 51 making the bad play.

Last edited:

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Just some thoughts:
Neuvirth was great.
I loved the 4th line. They did their job perfectly.
Hodgson looked dangerous, which we haven't been able to say much about him recently.
I'm willing to give the Ennis-Stewart combination another game or two, but Stewart was pretty shaky with the puck all night.
I hope Zadorov keeps getting the opportunity to settle in with several consecutive games in the lineup. He had a couple questionable plays, but his playmaking ability is much needed in the lineup right now.
Meszaros's third period was pretty horrendous. I'd be willing to be Weber is back in for him next game.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
G:
-neuvirth
-4th line was fantastic all game, particularly McCormick
-shots/passing/possession/overall game
-I thought gionta played his best game of the year, same with hodgson
-girgs/Risto as usual

B:
-moulson and Stewart made some boneheaded plays
-sekac's hit

U:
-meszaros. It's hilarious how bad he is. Watching him make turnover after nonsensical turnover made me laugh uncontrollably

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
Stewart was horrendous last night. The man has all the tools in the world, but lacks the IQ to take his game to the next level.

Stewart talented. But, not a hockey player. Amazing how much talent is wasted when you don't know how to play the game.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just some thoughts:
Neuvirth was great.
I loved the 4th line. They did their job perfectly.
Hodgson looked dangerous, which we haven't been able to say much about him recently.
I'm willing to give the Ennis-Stewart combination another game or two, but Stewart was pretty shaky with the puck all night.
I hope Zadorov keeps getting the opportunity to settle in with several consecutive games in the lineup. He had a couple questionable plays, but his playmaking ability is much needed in the lineup right now.
Meszaros's third period was pretty horrendous. I'd be willing to be Weber is back in for him next game.
I'm hoping Larsson goes to center and Ennis goes to wing.

Centers:
Girgs
Hodgson
Larsson
McCormick

Fill the wings accordingly.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Zads got blown by on the wall a few times. He's too raw for the NHL imo.

Hodgson had one of his better games this year.

McCormick with a couple nifty plays.

Montreal didn't look to take that game very seriously.

I'm worried about Columbus stealing 1OA

Columbus has injury issues... They WILL get better.
Buffalo has Mez & Benoit, and a corral full of 19y.o. rooks... We WONT.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm hoping Larsson goes to center and Ennis goes to wing.

Centers:
Girgs
Hodgson
Larsson
McCormick

Fill the wings accordingly.

I would soooo like to see that. Really think (or at least am hopeful) that Larsson could fill in for some of the defensive work, freeing up Girgensons to see what of an offensive game he's got.

Moulson/Ennis - Girgensons - Stewart/Stafford
Ennis-Moulson - Hodgson - Stafford/Stewart
Mitchell/Deslauriers - Larsson - Gionta
Deslauriers/Mitchell - McCormick/Flynn - Kaleta/Flynn

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Last night might have been one of McCormick's best games ever. He was everywhere.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I agree with most of the comments so far:

Good:
• McCormick - he was really awesome last night. I love the way he plays the game when he's fired up.
• Staff with another PP goal. Hope he's heating up
• Zadorov with a couple of big hits and solid defensive plays in the 1st
• Ennis continuing to make things happen
• Flynn playing with a lot of energy

Bad:
• Faceoffs continue to be a problem
• Am I the only one who keeps seeing this, but Stewart is one of the dumbest hockey players I've ever seen. He gives the puck away all the time, and often in the worst spots. Just when it looks like we're about to get something going on offense, Stewart touches the puck and all of a sudden the other team is on a rush in the other direction. I've noticed this from him all year. Also, he's passing up on a lot of opportunities to go hard to the net. He rarely uses his size. I had naive hopes that he would have a great year in his contract year, but I'm not happy with his play so far. Great body and skill set, but no hockey IQ and not enough drive.

Ugly:
• Meszaros is as bad as any defenseman we've had in the last 15 years. I don't know what happened to this guy. I remember him being good when he first came up with the Sens, but he is terribad right now. If I wanted to prove that Buffalo was intentionally tanking, I'd pull out the box score from last night and circle the number 28:11 in red pen. That was Mess's ice time last night - the most of anyone on the team. Either that, or it's exhibit A for why Nolan should be fired (I like Nolan, but there is no justification for that)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I agree with most of the comments so far:

Good:
• McCormick - he was really awesome last night. I love the way he plays the game when he's fired up.
• Staff with another PP goal. Hope he's heating up
• Zadorov with a couple of big hits and solid defensive plays in the 1st
• Ennis continuing to make things happen
• Flynn playing with a lot of energy

Bad:
• Faceoffs continue to be a problem
• Am I the only one who keeps seeing this, but Stewart is one of the dumbest hockey players I've ever seen. He gives the puck away all the time, and often in the worst spots. Just when it looks like we're about to get something going on offense, Stewart touches the puck and all of a sudden the other team is on a rush in the other direction. I've noticed this from him all year. Also, he's passing up on a lot of opportunities to go hard to the net. He rarely uses his size. I had naive hopes that he would have a great year in his contract year, but I'm not happy with his play so far. Great body and skill set, but no hockey IQ and not enough drive.

Ugly:
• Meszaros is as bad as any defenseman we've had in the last 15 years. I don't know what happened to this guy. I remember him being good when he first came up with the Sens, but he is terribad right now. If I wanted to prove that Buffalo was intentionally tanking, I'd pull out the box score from last night and circle the number 28:11 in red pen. That was Mess's ice time last night - the most of anyone on the team. Either that, or it's exhibit A for why Nolan should be fired (I like Nolan, but there is no justification for that)

Meszaros will not be in the NHL next year. He is cap circumvention and taking all in one. How did he get $4.1 million. Lol.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Meszaros will not be in the NHL next year. He is cap circumvention and taking all in one. How did he get $4.1 million. Lol.

For this year, however, he appears to be well-rewarded for his play. Not just in terms of dollars, but with continued 1st PP time even after last game's dismal showing. :shakehead

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Neuvirth is starting to come around, and that's really a great thing. The further he pushes past Enroth, the better in my opinion. He's far too good to be only a back-up. Zadorov is putting in a lot of work and slowly it will get him to where he wants to be. I love his size and his edge. Keep working kid!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad