Messier vs McDavid

Who do you think is/was the "better player"? (Define better anyway you want)

• Old goat choosing Mark Messier

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Old goat choosing Connor McDavid

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Mark Messier

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Connor McDavid

Votes: 69 54.8%

• Total voters

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Down three games to two to the Devils in the 1994 Eastern Conference Final, Messier guaranteed the win in game six. He went out and scored three goals and assisted on the other in a 4-2 Rangers win. Rangers went on to win the SC. I love McDavid, but pro sports is about winning. Messier is one of the biggest winners that has ever played in the league. This isn’t even a fair comparison.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Down three games to two to the Devils in the 1994 Eastern Conference Final, Messier guaranteed the win in game six. He went out and scored three goals and assisted on the other in a 4-2 Rangers win. Rangers went on to win the SC. I love McDavid, but pro sports is about winning. Messier is one of the biggest winners that has ever played in the league. This isn’t even a fair comparison.
Messier's Rangers missed the playoffs as much as they made it with him as Captain...Messier didn't play a single playoff game in the final 7 seasons of his career....Winner lol

his "leadership" is one of the most overrated narratives in hockey

heck, the Oilers made it to the Conference Finals in 1992 without his amazing "leadership"

Last edited:

Apr 29, 2017
McDavid all day long. My handle shows my love for Moose but McDavid is right up there with the best as far as skill and speed are concerned. Messier was a great leader and power forward but the team still had the bones of the ‘88 cup for the ‘90 run. Ranford was lights out (Conn Smythe winner of course) and the Kid Line stepped up. I’m taking peak McDavid over peak Messier. Old goat here.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It’s McDavid all day..the guy is not only more talented but dragged the Oilers to a series wins against the Kings and Flames in 2022 and last year

Mess is one of the greats but you still need a supporting cast to lead

Ask Canucks fans how good Messier’s “leadership” was in Vancouver
Don’t you dare slander Mess for the Vancouver years. The team was a joke, ownership were clowns, the fan base was beyond petty. They expected a 38 year old legend with 1,000,000 miles on his body to turn them around after he had slapped their team around for a decade. Then they bitched when Nucks owners gave him #11 and they hadn’t asked Wayne Maki’s family if it was ok, and precious Trevor Linden wasn’t the Captain. He did what he could there and when the team finally turned around, Markus Naslund mentioned that a big reason for it was the culture that Messier created. Canucks fans who aren’t idiots respect the man. The donkeys hate him. So don’t. Just don’t.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Messier was a hyper talented beast who’d rip your eyeballs out with his thumbs to win, his lack of discipline was part of his aura as his opponents never knew when they’d eat an elbow to the head or a butt end in the ear. He could score skate pass and fight with the best of them. He just didn’t give a f***. The game back then was meaner tougher and far more take no prisoners than today’s love fest Sunday school pick up game stars on ice ballet we call hockey today. Messier was the undisputed King of that Jungle.

McDavid is perhaps the most advanced hockey machine we’ve ever seen playing in an era where the game is about speed. Nobody has ever had his combination of speed, puck handling, vision, and hockey IQ. When he’s on the ice he usually dominates and as his game has matured he has come into his own as a leader as well. He has also brought a physical element as he is one of the teams leaders in hits. The game today emphasizes speed and skill versus the Neanderthal pound you into ground intimidation cave man game of Messiers era. McDavid is the undisputed Champion of this Race Car Circuit.

Messier today would be suspended right out of the league. McDavid back then probably would have died.

Messier was surrounded by the greatest team that was ever assembled but he also won 2 cups with far lesser teams, the post Gretzky Oilers and the Rangers. McDavid has been surrounded by poor to mediocre talent most of his career save the past 3-4 years. Playoff record , 2 first round sweeps, 2 second round losses, 1 third round sweep.

Messier’s era had no cap but salaries were so deflated combined with owner union collusion to keep them that way along with very low league revenue it almost acted as a cap. McDavids era has a hard cap and combative union league relationship making it much more difficult to put together a top team of talent.

Messiers era the players were by and large Canadian , teams drawing from a much much smaller and less skilled and diverse talent pool. McDavid’s era the game is global with less than half the league coming from Canada. Major superstars today hail from Sweden Russia (boo) Slovakia Finland Chechia Germany Austria and the USA is becoming the dominant talent pool as the NCAA matures and the game grows south of the border. A top AHL team today is probably a competitive team in the 21 team NHL of Messiers era.

So; who is the “better player”? It’s like comparing cars from different eras. They are so different then and now so as to only be appreciated fully within their own era.

But if I had to choose I witnessed Messier win 5 cups here in Edmonton and 1 cup on Oilers East. McDavid is amazing but he needs to win at least 1 cup for the Oilers before he knocks Messier off my personal pedestal.
I very much appreciate the response. I don't have any quibble with what you write and particularly sympathize with the first bolded statement. The second statement is perfectly reasonable even if I might see it differently.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I started watching the Oilers in 1985, followed them closely from the 1986-87 season. Watched Mess a lot when he was a Ranger, too.

McDavid is clearly the better player on an individual level -- but, "individual level" doesn't mean much to me as hockey is never played/won by individuals. Fortunately, McDavid is also a better playmaker than Messier was, and a bit better at elevating teammates. Connor is also the superior skater / passer. Mess was elite at all those things, but Connor is better. (Goals-wise, they're probably about equal.)

You have to give this to McDavid with 5 scoring titles and 3 Hart trophies already, and possibly more to come. Mess "willed" the Oilers to victory at times (vs. NYI 1984; vs. Chicago 1990), but on a less dynamic club, McDavid has shown incredible ability to dominate in the playoffs, albeit in a much smaller sample.

Moog 1983? Fuhr/Moog 1984? Fuhr 1987/1988? Ranford 1990?

I would say the current Oilers and the 1990 Oilers (no Gretzky, no Coffey, no Fuhr) are at about the same talent level.
For me the 1990 season would be the closest to last season as far as the Oilers playoffs are concerned. It was somewhat of a transitional year with no team that you could point to and say they will be very very tough to beat. Talent wise, the Oilers current top six and the 1990's top six would both be amongst the best in the League. But that 1990's team had much more depth and a solid defense that knew how to win. In the end though Ranford was the big difference maker. Give the 2023 Oilers goaltending like the 1990's team got from Ranford and I think there is another banner flying in Edmonton this year.

Reactions: alanschu

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’ve always found it really difficult to compare players from different eras and asked to rank them. So many intangibles involved. Quality of teammates, training and skill coaching that is night and day better now from the 80’s, style of play, level of competition (more parity now), etc. My answer doesn't usually vary with these questions - really a disservice to either of these great athletes to try to compare what is really apples to oranges, so my answer is I’m glad I was blessed to be able to watch both of them, both have given me years of enjoyment, and I’ll be forever be thankful for that.

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Messier's Rangers missed the playoffs as much as they made it with him as Captain...Messier didn't play a single playoff game in the final 7 seasons of his career....Winner lol

his "leadership" is one of the most overrated narratives in hockey

heck, the Oilers made it to the Conference Finals in 1992 without his amazing "leadership"
Wtf dude. In those last 7 years he would’ve been 37 through 43 years old!!!! If Sidney Crosby was 40 years old and the Penguins missed the playoffs this year, does that mean Sid isn’t still a great leader? The man is one of the best ever to lace ‘em up and he single handedly crushed opponents. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Wtf dude. In those last 7 years he would’ve been 37 through 43 years old!!!! If Sidney Crosby was 40 years old and the Penguins missed the playoffs this year, does that mean Sid isn’t still a great leader? The man is one of the best ever to lace ‘em up and he single handedly crushed opponents. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
and? so his legendary "leadership skills" evaporated after 36 year old?
or perhaps you need a good team around him...

that's why I laugh using team accomplishments like Cups to prove someone is better is a dumb argument

Apr 29, 2017
McDavid back then probably would have died.
That’s exactly what was said of Gretzky before he turned pro. He did okay, and if there’s one player who can match Gretzky’s elusiveness, it’s McDavid.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That’s exactly what was said of Gretzky before he turned pro. He did okay, and if there’s one player who can match Gretzky’s elusiveness, it’s McDavid.
His vision would certainly help in this regard. Unlike a guy like Hall McDavid always seems to know where everyone is when he is skating at top speed. McDavid is also not shy of physical contact. In fact he seems to thrive when he is involved physically. He's also slightly bigger than an average player from back then and would probably be in the top 30 percentile for forwards in terms of size.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I beg to disagree. I saw Gretzky get really hit twice in his career. He had a second sense about seeing hits coming long before they happened. McDavid has been popped multiple times in his career, I mean really popped. In Penticton he got absolutely railed by Virtanen on his very first shift. Plus Gretzky went out of his way to avoid contact. McDavid leads the team in hits. I think Gretzky had 10 hits in his entire career. McDavid doesnt shy away from the physical game. Thats why I think McDavid would have been killed back then.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I beg to disagree. I saw Gretzky get really hit twice in his career. He had a second sense about seeing hits coming long before they happened. McDavid has been popped multiple times in his career, I mean really popped. In Penticton he got absolutely railed by Virtanen on his very first shift. Plus Gretzky went out of his way to avoid contact. McDavid leads the team in hits. I think Gretzky had 10 hits in his entire career. McDavid doesnt shy away from the physical game. Thats why I think McDavid would have been killed back then.
Has McDavid been rocked more than twice in his entire career? That Virtanen hit wasn't even an NHL game.

I don't see why McDavid would be any more vulnerable to big hits than, say, Mike Gartner.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Has McDavid been rocked more than twice in his entire career? That Virtanen hit wasn't even an NHL game.

I don't see why McDavid would be any more vulnerable to big hits than, say, Mike Gartner.

Doesn't matter, Virtanen sent him into next week. McDavid has been popped far more than twice in his career. The Ducks nearly killed him in his first playoff. My point is he doesn't shy away from the physical game at all. Gretzky always did. The physical game back then was 10 times what it is today. Today is like figure skating in comparison.

Gartner got absolutely destroyed once. He was injured a few times.

Either way we are talking the abject hypothetical here so I am not going to get too wound up over it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Different players playing in different eras.

I'll take Messier right now, but as I said if McDavid wins probably even 1 Cup in his prime with the Oilers I probably side with McDavid. Winning matters for me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Doesn't matter, Virtanen sent him into next week. McDavid has been popped far more than twice in his career. My point is he doesn't shy away from the physical game at all. Gretzky always did.

Gartner got absolutely destroyed once. He was injured a few times.

Either way we are talking the abject hypothetical here so I am not going to get too wound up over it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Different players playing in different eras.

I'll take Messier right now, but as I said if McDavid wins probably even 1 Cup in his prime with the Oilers I probably side with McDavid. Winning matters for me.
If you look at the big stars of the game back then I don't see any greater danger for them than McDavid faces today. Lafleur flourished in a period that was probably the most violent during my lifetime. His game was built on speed and he was never really punished physically. Now he would have had to put up with more clutching and grabbing than he does now, even though for a 2024 league he deals with a lot of this. But I actually think he thrives on that sort of physical challenge.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This poll comes about from a discussion on the main board. The question is intentionally vague since different people will define "better" in very different ways. If you want to add your reason for choosing one over the other that would be great.

I am also splitting the pool to see how the older posters see this. By old goat I mean anyone who watched the 80's Oilers regularly and were old enough to critically compare the players.

For me I think McDavid has done enough to rank as the second best Oiler ever. Skill-wise I don't think it is close. Messier has the rings but those are team accomplishments.
Such very different players, it's really hard to compare. But there are things that both players have in their DNA. The intense desire to win and drag their teams with them. As you said, Mess had by far the better supporting cast with a batch of HOFers. And he was 2nd fiddle to Gretz for 10 years and actually learned a lot of the intensity and will to win from #99. McDavid is THE man on the team, and how he goes will inevitably carry them. I think a more apt comparison would be Draisaitl, both in style, relationship on the team, and skill sets.

Reactions: Fourier

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McDavid will make the Big 4 the Big 5.

He's being etched into the NHL Mount Rushmore with Howe Orr Gretz and Lemiuex

And im the biggest Messier fan

Reactions: RattsSSV

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If you look at the big stars of the game back then I don't see any greater danger for them than McDavid faces today. Lafleur flourished in a period that was probably the most violent during my lifetime. His game was built on speed and he was never really punished physically. Now he would have had to put up with more clutching and grabbing than he does now, even though for a 2024 league he deals with a lot of this. But I actually think he thrives on that sort of physical challenge.

Again Lafleur avoided contact, McDavid does not, in fact he often goes looking for it and his style has caused him to be seriously banged up twice already, one incident nearly ending his career with a blown out knee.

We are fortunate to be able to witness both players greatness in our lifetimes.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
If you were to ask me if I could build a team around Messier or McDavid, I'd probably pick McDavid.

Would be one of those "well I don't really mind having to make this choice" kind of choices though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think it is either. McDavid is clearly the better player, Messier was clearly the better leader at least IMO.
Comparing players is not about comparing team accomplishments. Might as well say that Billy Smith was better than Dominik Hasek because his team won more in that case if Stanley Cup rings is the main criteria.

I look at it this way when comparing players. If you're starting a franchise who do you choose? If it's McDavid vs. Messier, the answer is an easy one for me and that's the former. Messier is more comparable to guys like Yzerman and Sakic while McDavid is more comparable to guys like Gretzky and Lemeiux or at least that's the trajectory he's headed on. Not as dominant as those two but I think he's headed towards that tier. We're talking a top 5 player of all time compared to a top 10-12 player, a transcendent talent compared to a franchise talent.
Just IMO, these debates can often be open ended depending on what one's definition of what determines a great player.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Messier was a hyper talented beast who’d rip your eyeballs out with his thumbs to win, his lack of discipline was part of his aura as his opponents never knew when they’d eat an elbow to the head or a butt end in the ear. He could score skate pass and fight with the best of them. He just didn’t give a f***. The game back then was meaner tougher and far more take no prisoners than today’s love fest Sunday school pick up game stars on ice ballet we call hockey today. Messier was the undisputed King of that Jungle.

McDavid is perhaps the most advanced hockey machine we’ve ever seen playing in an era where the game is about speed. Nobody has ever had his combination of speed, puck handling, vision, and hockey IQ. When he’s on the ice he usually dominates and as his game has matured he has come into his own as a leader as well. He has also brought a physical element as he is one of the teams leaders in hits. The game today emphasizes speed and skill versus the Neanderthal pound you into ground intimidation cave man game of Messiers era. McDavid is the undisputed Champion of this Race Car Circuit.

Messier today would be suspended right out of the league. McDavid back then probably would have died.

Messier was surrounded by the greatest team that was ever assembled but he also won 2 cups with far lesser teams, the post Gretzky Oilers and the Rangers. McDavid has been surrounded by poor to mediocre talent most of his career save the past 3-4 years. Playoff record , 2 first round sweeps, 2 second round losses, 1 third round sweep.

Messier’s era had no cap but salaries were so deflated combined with owner union collusion to keep them that way along with very low league revenue it almost acted as a cap. McDavids era has a hard cap and combative union league relationship making it much more difficult to put together a top team of talent.

Messiers era the players were by and large Canadian , teams drawing from a much much smaller and less skilled and diverse talent pool. McDavid’s era the game is global with less than half the league coming from Canada. Major superstars today hail from Sweden Russia (boo) Slovakia Finland Chechia Germany Austria and the USA is becoming the dominant talent pool as the NCAA matures and the game grows south of the border. A top AHL team today is probably a competitive team in the 21 team NHL of Messiers era.

So; who is the “better player”? It’s like comparing cars from different eras. They are so different then and now so as to only be appreciated fully within their own era.

But if I had to choose I witnessed Messier win 5 cups here in Edmonton and 1 cup on Oilers East. McDavid is amazing but he needs to win at least 1 cup for the Oilers before he knocks Messier off my personal pedestal.
Gretzky some how survived but McDavid might of died playing in that league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad