Merrill leads solid group of prospects in New Jersey Devils 2014 Fall Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
jon_merrill_new_jersey_032314.jpg
Photo: Defenseman Jon Merrill had a strong rookie pro season in 2013-14, managing two goals and nine assists in 52 NHL games. (courtesy of Andy Marlin/NHLI via Getty Images)

Thanks to a few rookies stepping up last season, the New Jersey Devils feel comfortable to trust their prospects with bigger roles going forward. The change has already started on the blue line, but the transition with forwards might take a while.

Down in the AHL, last year’s rookie class helped spur Albany to its best season in quite some time. With players like Reid Boucher, Stefan Matteau, and*Seth Helgeson putting together impressive efforts, they helped infuse a new energy that will likely get better this upcoming season.… read more

The post Merrill leads solid group of prospects in New Jersey Devils 2014 Fall Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Nitpicking - I think Scarlett should be higher and Matteau/Johnny Q should be swapped.

Otherwise I mostly agree. Very solid list. Our prospects are getting better.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like the list. I like that Helgeson is getting some recognition.

I personally think Bell should be higher but you can always squabble over a few spots here or there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Was surprised to see Kuja get the "highest ceiling" award among the fwds.

And I give him a pass off last season, injuries like that will lead to inconsistent play, and overall I think his ppg #'s were good. Lets see if he, like Black and the other guys can really dominate in his 20 yr old season.

NC107*

Nice list of prospects, I thought the majority here felt that the Devils don't draft well

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Nice list of prospects, I thought the majority here felt that the Devils don't draft well

They've gotten considerably better in recent years..

Good list though. Could use some more skill players, but alot of these guys seem to have the right stuff to make it to the NHL.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Merrill got knocked down a half point. Why?

He got switched from an 8.0C to a 7.5B. 1-10 scale represents ceiling, A-F scale represents the "safeness" of the pick.

His ceiling ranking dropped slightly but he was bumped up in safeness. They now project him to be a safe bet to be a borderline top pairing guy, as opposed to the *chance* of him being a strong top pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad