News Article: Memories of Monty (Steve Montador)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Really nice read on Steve Montador, who I was a fan of, from a member of the Sabres organization who knew him well. Sounds like he was great guy.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=37210

The author recalls that after signing with the Sabres as a FA in 2009, he arrived in camp and immediately began campaigning his teammates for help with the charities he was involved in:
My mind immediately flashed back to July 1, 2009. We had just announced that Steve had signed with our club as a free agent. I remember calling him on the phone to introduce myself and welcome him to the team. I vividly remember at the end of our conversation him saying, “I’ll tell you this right off the hop man: I’m going to ask you for a lot of stuff, but I’ll always be there when you need me for anything. Deal? Thanks brother, see you in a few weeks.” I remember thinking, ‘oh wonderful!’

Sure enough, about two weeks before training camp, I went into the practice rink where a bunch of the players were skating getting ready for the season. I walked into the locker room to say hi to a few players and this guy come up to me with floppy, messy hair, scruffy face and tattoos on his chest and arms. He put his arm around my shoulders and said, “Chris, I’m Steve. We need to talk.”

Something that echoes in the words of just about every guy he ever played with: Great teammate:

But the one thing that always made him smile more than ever was when he was speaking about helping other people. As our team had its ups and downs, Monty stayed true to his words. Wins or losses, great games or a healthy scratch, Steve would always say, “Need me in the room tonight?”

RIP Monty

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
That kind of choked me up. Couldn't ask for a better obituary. I almost feel like I knew him after reading that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad