GDT: Memorial Cup Game #2: Peterborough Petes (Brennan Othmann) vs Kamloops Blazers - 6PM NHL NETWORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was a clean hit. Wasn't late, wasn't a charge, didn't leave his feet, hit Masters from the front on his left side. The issue for Masters was he was on one foot having just passed the puck up the boards and the impact of the hit threw him backwards off both feet into the boards his back taking the full brunt of the hit. Othmann hits pretty hard....no doubt about that. Masters somewhat to blame IMO for putting himself in a vulnerable position maybe not realizing Othmann was that close.

I was kind of expecting if Othmann took another shift though someone was going to go after him but the Petes coach sat him for the rest of the game which was best for everyone.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
nothing wrong w/ othmann hit, kid put himself in an unfortunate situation being off balance where he was...just ended up off balance with a guy coming in on the forecheck in an awful spot and unfortunately looks like it resulted in one of the worst possible outcomes.

one thing i was thinking about re othmann and his not looking as dynamic as you'd hope...the kid hasn't had a break in basically 2 years. went on a late run last season, then a really short break before the delayed world juniors camp/tournament, then rangers rookie camp, rangers training camp, junior season with another world juniors in the middle, full playoff run, and now memorial cup.

will be good for him to get a few weeks off after this and then hopefully a good summer of actual training. he basically hasn't had any stretch for physical development since the summer after his draft.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's harder being a play driver from the wing. Othmann also is more the shooter than the playmaker really.....so he needs line mates to set him up. This year it seems there was less of that....also kind of Kreider--21-22 everything seemed to go in for him. This year not nearly as much. The pucks that went in last year quite often went off posts or crossbars. I think he was checked more closely as well. Same shit might have been going on with Brennan.....also there's a change of teams....there were worries outside the rink....there is the pressures you put on yourself.

A reporter once asked Terry O'Reilly a question in the season he was breaking out. He's got a dozen or so goals after 25 games or whatever---he asks him how many goals he expected to get that year? O'Reilly with 12 and two thirds of the season to go said he hoped to get to 13. Which is to say he'd take whatever he could get. It's a good way for a player to look at things.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Apparently Othmann went over to the Blazers bench talking shit after that hit. He needs to get over himself

Probably why they sat him, I would too if I was the coach

• Haha

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Apparently Othmann went over to the Blazers bench talking shit after that hit. He needs to get over himself

Probably why they sat him, I would too if I was the coach

It looked to me that both benches were going at it. No doubt there were players on the Kamloops bench that didn't like the hit and made it known to Brennan.......it wouldn't surprise me that Brennan came back at them......and it was a clean hit--an unfortunate result for the Kamloops player for sure but almost anyone looking at a replay is going to come to the same conclusion. The Blazers had run up the score as it was and that tends to get the losing team kind of hot too. There's usually two sides to things like this. Anyway at that point there was no point putting him back on the ice. The game had been over for a long time by then.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This is just not accurate. And Othmann went over to tap the player after that hit. He was the only one to do so.

He made the hit. It would look bad if he did not do anything and someone else did.. We have seen it from other games where as both teams players who were not involved would have went over. So maybe they just felt Othmann was the one to do so since he made the hit. Not sure why other players didnt follow Othmann’s lead

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Having watched the hit, it was legal, but it was also the type of nasty, borderline scummy hit a guy like Tom Wilson would be proud to make. Othmann could tell he was off-balance and in a dangerous area of the ice, and still loaded up and went into him full force.

He was getting into it with the Kamloops bench after too, but that might've just been the general "post-big and borderline dirty hit" back and forth. And he did look a bit shaken up after

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Players say shit when one of their teammates get hurt. What's Othmann to do when he's got opponents yelling at him. Put his head down and go quietly to his bench?

Masters put himself in a bad situation. That hit was well within the not late range and Othmann didn't run or jump at him and there's a point where a player commits to a hit where there's no going back and in this case it happened fast. The commitment to the hit and the actual hit takes about a second at most. There is going to be a collision. This idea he could pull out of it or pull up is nonsense. Who does that? The Blazers certainly weren't doing that. All game they came hard and pretty much knocked the Petes around. They didn't just dominate the score. They dominated the Petes physically.

I don't buy that Othmann is necessarily 'a prick' either. This is the case of a guy skating hard and finishing a hit that came his way. It went bad for the opponent but the opponent shouldn't have put himself in a bad position.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Very clean hit

That was a fine hit. And It wasn’t the hardest I’ve seen him throw either. Absolutely zero wrong there, just unfortunate for Masters. Bagging on Othmann for that hit by folks on this board is just so predictable. Kid plays hard, buzzer to buzzer, no matter the score. He’s exactly what this team needs, attitude wise.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That was a fine hit. And It wasn’t the hardest I’ve seen him throw either. Absolutely zero wrong there, just unfortunate for Masters. Bagging on Othmann for that hit by folks on this board is just so predictable. Kid plays hard, buzzer to buzzer, no matter the score. He’s exactly what this team needs, attitude wise.
Theres a very very very online crowd that wants hitting and fighting banned and want the game to essentially be figure skating. We already have golf if theyre looking for a non contact sport

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Theres a very very very online crowd that wants hitting and fighting banned and want the game to essentially be figure skating. We already have golf if theyre looking for a non contact sport
If anything it needs more. There's a reason MMA is exploding.

Reactions: pld459666

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If anything it needs more. There's a reason MMA is exploding.
Yup. Hockey was a much better product when teams were racking up 75+ fighting majors a year. Seeing guys score goals on michigans isnt nearly as entertaining as players genuinely hating each other and trying to rip each others heads off

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Yup. Hockey was a much better product when teams were racking up 75+ fighting majors a year. Seeing guys score goals on michigans isnt nearly as entertaining as players genuinely hating each other and trying to rip each others heads off
The NHL seems to push draft "rivalries" (Taylor v. Tyler, Kakko v. Hughes, Laf v. Hughes, comparing Bedard to McDavid mostly based on both being top tier players named "Connor") more than geographical/historical/current play rivalries (BOS v. MTL a handful of years ago being one example).

There's just typically not that same type of 70s/80s/90s vitriol in today's game for any extended period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad