Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Saginaw

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It’s going to be hard for Niagara, Kingston and the Soo to beat a loaded Saginaw team for the bid. Michael Misa will be a superstar and they have a very loaded supporting cast.

Kingston has a beautiful barn and if Shane Wright is returned, the trade assets could help their chances.

Needless to say, all of these teams should be heavy sellers of their overseers, NHL signed 19 year olds and any 19 year olds who won’t be OA for them (looking at you, Niagara).

Reactions: EvenSteven

three dog night

May 3, 2014
It’s going to be hard for Niagara, Kingston and the Soo to beat a loaded Saginaw team for the bid. Michael Misa will be a superstar and they have a very loaded supporting cast.

Kingston has a beautiful barn and if Shane Wright is returned, the trade assets could help their chances.

Needless to say, all of these teams should be heavy sellers of their overseers, NHL signed 19 year olds and any 19 year olds who won’t be OA for them (looking at you, Niagara).
Only knock against Saginaw it in the USA saw Misa one time in person wasn’t impressed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kingston vs Saginaw

There seems to be a lean toward the eastern Conference right now. If the bids are relatively even, Kingston will get the nod. I think if Saginaw wants this tourney, they need to show a lot more than strength of team on ice. They need the right community support and that is the one component that I think falls in Kingston’s favour. I’m not familiar enough with the type of community support Saginaw gets And whether they can match what Kingston can provide.

Reactions: rangersblues

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'd say this bid really comes down to two cities.

Kingston or Sault Ste Marie.

For as good as the Spirit have been this season will they have the team in two years? Maybe, maybe not? As for Niagara I would tend to think that there's still a lot of unknowns within that organization that would lead me to believe that they hold a strong case, they've made a lot of bizarre decisions this season that could catch up with them by the time the bidding process closes and the OHL representative is named to host.

Time will tell...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

For as good as the Spirit have been this season will they have the team in two years? Maybe, maybe not? As for Niagara I would tend to think that there's still a lot of unknowns within that organization that would lead me to believe that they hold a strong case, they've made a lot of bizarre decisions this season that could catch up with them by the time the bidding process closes and the OHL representative is named to host.

Time will tell...
It's next years team.

• Haha
Reactions: OHL4Life

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It's next years team.

Time will tell...
On top of it, if Saginaw does host and they don’t have a team, all they have to do is lose the first round of playoffs. They’ll get 40 days off to rest and win the entire cup. Just ask Windsor for pointers, and no I’m still not over that heartbreak.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Time will tell...
why wouldnt saginaw have a team in two years? they may be the team to beat in the west next year.

they are the perfect candidate, theyll be better then the soo or kingston and without niagaras bonkers owner.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The Soo must have some grand plans on bringing in talent, because at the moment... They are not a good team. Everything else they have covered, the skill on the ice is the question.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Ill give it a go here and then talk about who I think should get it.

Ill start with Kingston.

Kingston: Great City. Great arena. Lots of quality food options. If they get Shane Wright back and deal him, that will certainly add some serious assets to contend next year.

Soo: Having a Northern Memorial Cup would be awesome. Probably one of the better returning rosters next year. Would be nice to see a smaller market, northern city host. Always produces quality teams and when they're going for it, they are aggressive. Never patch work. They go all in. I think the league should reward the North here. Team draws well. Fans travel well. This is a unique opportunity to get the Memmer back in the heart and soul communities of junior hockey.

Niagara: Owners a dink. Always has been. Wore out his stay in the OHA. Wasn't well liked. Has come up to the OHL, named himself GM, plugged in his playstation controller and went NHL 22 on his roster that already lacked a 1st round pick and quality talent. He has a 2nd rounder in this coming draft and no 3rd. Far from a stacked cupboard and very little they can offload this year to set them up for next year. I think it was a horrible decision for him to make a bid all things considering.

The positives for them: A beautiful arena in an attractive location. A very positive and great fan base. Great City and economy. Might be the most attractive option from a financial stand point.

Saginaw: The arena is going to require some work but it's in a solid location. Saginaw is a thriving city. The Dow would make a suitable host. Having Michael Misa might be the selling point for the league. Saginaw has already started a soft sell and there are quite a few assets they could trade off that would set them up WELLLLLLLLL for next year. Six 2nds and Four 3rds as of right now in the cabinet. Having an American Memmer would be kind of cool. As mentioned having Misa might slide them in as favorites but its pretty open.

For me personally,

I'd like to see it in Kingston as I love going up there on Holidays but to me this feels like the Soo's Memorial Cup to lose.

Soo
Saginaw
Kingston
Niagara

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I really wish the OHL would do Conference Finals crossovers in Memorial Cup host years.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
Ill give it a go here and then talk about who I think should get it.

Ill start with Kingston.

Kingston: Great City. Great arena. Lots of quality food options. If they get Shane Wright back and deal him, that will certainly add some serious assets to contend next year.

Soo: Having a Northern Memorial Cup would be awesome. Probably one of the better returning rosters next year. Would be nice to see a smaller market, northern city host. Always produces quality teams and when they're going for it, they are aggressive. Never patch work. They go all in. I think the league should reward the North here. Team draws well. Fans travel well. This is a unique opportunity to get the Memmer back in the heart and soul communities of junior hockey.

Niagara: Owners a dink. Always has been. Wore out his stay in the OHA. Wasn't well liked. Has come up to the OHL, named himself GM, plugged in his playstation controller and went NHL 22 on his roster that already lacked a 1st round pick and quality talent. He has a 2nd rounder in this coming draft and no 3rd. Far from a stacked cupboard and very little they can offload this year to set them up for next year. I think it was a horrible decision for him to make a bid all things considering.

The positives for them: A beautiful arena in an attractive location. A very positive and great fan base. Great City and economy. Might be the most attractive option from a financial stand point.

Saginaw: The arena is going to require some work but it's in a solid location. Saginaw is a thriving city. The Dow would make a suitable host. Having Michael Misa might be the selling point for the league. Saginaw has already started a soft sell and there are quite a few assets they could trade off that would set them up WELLLLLLLLL for next year. Six 2nds and Four 3rds as of right now in the cabinet. Having an American Memmer would be kind of cool. As mentioned having Misa might slide them in as favorites but its pretty open.

For me personally,

I'd like to see it in Kingston as I love going up there on Holidays but to me this feels like the Soo's Memorial Cup to lose.

Soo
Saginaw
Kingston
Niagara
I am pretty sure some of the Saginaw 2nds and 3rds your are counting are tied up as conditionals to Fantilli reporting to North Bay.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
If I am not mistaken, Niagara just came under new ownership that was rushed to replace the old after a scandal. Their bid could be a "scratch my back" situation. That, and Hamilton is down the road, and may have arena issues for the next few seasons. This may end up being a bit of a bone thrown to Bulldogs fans as well who may not have an easily accessible team the next two years.

If those things aren't in play though, I'd probably say Kingston. Proximity to Ottawa and Quebec and a great arena seems like the safe bet, which is what the CHL probably wants post Covid.

Reactions: HF92

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa 1999
Mississauga 2011

Two Eastern conference host cities over the last 20+ years. I think they are motivated to represent the Eastern Conference if possible. They won’t select an Eastern Conference team if there is a wide gap in the value of the proposals but I think they are leaning Eastern and it will be up to a Western team to yank it out of the Easts hands. Not saying it won’t happen but I think Kingston will likely put together a strong enough bid to make it happen.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Saginaw has 5x2nds and 5x3rds not including the Fantilli conditionals. That according to the recently updated database.
I'd say if Minty gets traded at deadline an extra 3-2nds, 3-3rds and a 05 or 06. The young man has mad skill and still in his 2nd year of NA hockey. Whoever lands him has the best D in the OHL. DD always has something up his sleeve. We can get plenty of talent with those picks. I hope Sag can bring the Memorial Cup to the USA.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd say if Minty gets traded at deadline an extra 3-2nds, 3-3rds and a 05 or 06. The young man has mad skill and still in his 2nd year of NA hockey. Whoever lands him has the best D in the OHL. DD always has something up his sleeve. We can get plenty of talent with those picks. I hope Sag can bring the Memorial Cup to the USA.

As an Import, it will be hard to get an ‘06. I can see a decent ’05 plus those picks though. If Ottawa were to do that deal I think Ewles or Dever would be the ‘05 plus the picks.

EDIT:
For the record, I would do that deal for Ottawa. Would Saginaw do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peachkings1922

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think the Niagara bid is a serious one. I think that this bid is about going through the process once before making a serious run the next time the OHL is up. This would give DeDobbelaer four years to hire a GM and with two first round picks next year, put together a team for that run.
I'm under the understanding that has been a lot of good, experienced OHL people reach out to him about coming onboard. He's still trying to do it his way but from what I gather if this season is as bad as it has been he has said he'll make changes, including removing himself as GM.

Reactions: the dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad