Memorial Cup 2021

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’m torn. In a normal year, I’d vote the Generals a million times, but this is anything but that. The Soo is in no man’s land, where Oshawa is a Go Train ride away from Toronto, which is why I’d normally vote Oshawa. This year, that’s the reason I wouldn’t vote Oshawa. Even if there are no fans in the stands, the idea of being that close to Ontario’s covid capital has to be of concern.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’m torn. In a normal year, I’d vote the Generals a million times, but this is anything but that. The Soo is in no man’s land, where Oshawa is a Go Train ride away from Toronto, which is why I’d normally vote Oshawa. This year, that’s the reason I wouldn’t vote Oshawa. Even if there are no fans in the stands, the idea of being that close to Ontario’s covid capital has to be of concern.

If the hot spots in Ontario don't drastically improve between now and then, there will be no tournament (or season) anyways. Like 1/3 of the players in the league are from Toronto/Ottawa. So I don't think that's much of a factor because if a season/tournament are happening, that means the hot spots have gotten a lot better

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A question I have, and I know I'm going to look like a homer because it's against the Gens, but I'd say the same thing if it was PBO going against SSM for the host, but are we sure SSM is even a playoff team?

In a normal year obviously they are but they've already said that this year it'll just be 4 teams from each conference and there's been several hints at only divisional play. So if that happens it's almost guaranteed that it would be top 2 from each division that go to the playoffs, that would be fair if you're only playing your division.

Windsor and Saginaw are in SSM's division and both look better than the Soo on paper to most people (and Sarnia isn't bad, although I think they're still behind SSM). Obviously trades can/will happen but that goes for all the teams. SAG added Suzuki last year instead of a rentals so that makes it seem like this year would be SAG's go for it year and they already have the best top end talent in the West. WSR has more question marks but if they get Afanasyev back they look like the best team in the conference offensively imo. Medina is a question mark as we don't know if he can be the #1 on a top team, but the exact same can be said for Malik. I wonder how much that factors into a potential decision.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kick the can down the road. The powers that be have already broken the ice on this after having done so for the 100th anniversary.

Have the OHL host for the 21-22 season with an eye towards things (hopefully) getting closer to normal by then.

This year, the 20-21 season, hold the Memorial Cup in the Edmonton bubble like the NHL and WJC. It should be doable since it is a TV event. Maybe not as big as the WJC, but likely enough to allow it to make sense financially.

Because the OHL hasn’t hosted since 2017 (Windsor), the tourney should made up of the league’s champs from the Q and the W and the two finalists from the O. No host team gets an automatic berth.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Agree.

So who are top 2 from each division?

Do we know it will be two from each division or just top four from conference??

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Agree.

So who are top 2 from each division?

Do we know it will be two from each division or just top four from conference??
They havent said. But if it's where you only play your own division, it has to be 2 from each division. Would not be fair to take 3 from 1 division and only 1 from another when they don't play the same teams.

That way its completely fair for everyone. You need to finish 1st or 2nd against the teams you're playing against all year to make the playoffs.

This is assuming the rumours are true that it'll only be divisional play

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
A question I have, and I know I'm going to look like a homer because it's against the Gens, but I'd say the same thing if it was PBO going against SSM for the host, but are we sure SSM is even a playoff team?

In a normal year obviously they are but they've already said that this year it'll just be 4 teams from each conference and there's been several hints at only divisional play. So if that happens it's almost guaranteed that it would be top 2 from each division that go to the playoffs, that would be fair if you're only playing your division.

Windsor and Saginaw are in SSM's division and both look better than the Soo on paper to most people (and Sarnia isn't bad, although I think they're still behind SSM). Obviously trades can/will happen but that goes for all the teams. SAG added Suzuki last year instead of a rentals so that makes it seem like this year would be SAG's go for it year and they already have the best top end talent in the West. WSR has more question marks but if they get Afanasyev back they look like the best team in the conference offensively imo. Medina is a question mark as we don't know if he can be the #1 on a top team, but the exact same can be said for Malik. I wonder how much that factors into a potential decision.

I think SSM lacks the star-power after O'Rourke. They are returning most of their team and they will be as deep as anyone up front with Trott, Kerins, Kartye, MacKay, Dickinson, Pytlik & Carroll among others. But none of those names jump off the page like Phil Tomasino, per se. Goaltending is also a question mark as you mentioned. They also don't have a ton of draft capital, so a big addition likely comes at the cost of Bryce McConnell-Barker. Oshawa IMO still needs a big name D man but they have the draft capital to add that kind of player.

I think both teams are in good position, but I give the advantage to Oshawa. I don't know how much of a factor that is when it comes down to it. Should also be taken into account that if there's realignment, SSM is going to see a whole lot of North Bay and the Quinton Byfield-less Sudbury Wolves.

Like I said, any other year I want it in Oshawa a million times over the Soo, but it's a weird year and maybe an opportunity to try something new.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think SSM lacks the star-power after O'Rourke. They are returning most of their team and they will be as deep as anyone up front with Trott, Kerins, Kartye, MacKay, Dickinson, Pytlik & Carroll among others. But none of those names jump off the page like Phil Tomasino, per se. Goaltending is also a question mark as you mentioned. They also don't have a ton of draft capital, so a big addition likely comes at the cost of Bryce McConnell-Barker. Oshawa IMO still needs a big name D man but they have the draft capital to add that kind of player.

I think both teams are in good position, but I give the advantage to Oshawa. I don't know how much of a factor that is when it comes down to it. Should also be taken into account that if there's realignment, SSM is going to see a whole lot of North Bay and the Quinton Byfield-less Sudbury Wolves.

Like I said, any other year I want it in Oshawa a million times over the Soo, but it's a weird year and maybe an opportunity to try something new.

It's rare you see a top 5 overall pick get traded in his rookie season but yeah that very well could be what SSM has to do in order to make that big upgrade.

Agree with your assessment of the Gens. 1 top 4 D (Vukojevic?) and a couple middle 6 forwards would be the biggest need. Obviously on my Wishlist is a 1st line winger to go with Tomasino/Tullio but that's not as pressing of a need as the one more D and a couple middle 6 Fs

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It's rare you see a top 5 overall pick get traded in his rookie season but yeah that very well could be what SSM has to do in order to make that big upgrade.

Agree with your assessment of the Gens. 1 top 4 D (Vukojevic?) and a couple middle 6 forwards would be the biggest need. Obviously on my Wishlist is a 1st line winger to go with Tomasino/Tullio but that's not as pressing of a need as the one more D and a couple middle 6 Fs

Vukojevic does seem like the obvious answer. Kitchener will be retooling. From what I understand, there are some connections with Tullio and Tomasino so it might be a good fit, as well as the fact that Oshawa gave (IMO) a pretty good deal for Serron Noel this season.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Vukojevic does seem like the obvious answer. Kitchener will be retooling. From what I understand, there are some connections with Tullio and Tomasino so it might be a good fit, as well as the fact that Oshawa gave (IMO) a pretty good deal for Serron Noel this season.
Yeah Tomasino and Vukojevic were teammates on the Mississauga Rebels in major bantam and in minor midget and Rocco (Gens owner) coached Ty, Vukojevic and Tomasino at the WSI 15U Selects tournament. So there are Vukojevic in a Gens uniform pictures already lol

Attachments

• Vukoj.jpg
    Vukoj.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2
  • jghf.png
    jghf.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad