Signing(s): Melvin Gordon signs with the Broncos (2 years, $16 million)

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
No ill will towards Melvin but funny how he wants to get back at the Chargers when they offered him a contract that would be paying him substantially more than the one he just signed.

Nobody to blame but himself... and maybe his agent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No ill will towards Melvin but funny how he wants to get back at the Chargers when they offered him a contract that would be paying him substantially more than the one he just signed.

Nobody to blame but himself... and maybe his agent.
Probably hurt him now after the Gurley release, not to mention the Freeman release from ATL as well. And the Jets wanting to move off Bell too.

RBs, going to be tough for them in the next few years to get that big 2nd contract. If I'm McCaffery and Cook, I wonder what my chances are of a big contract.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know why they're so against Lindsay being more of the bell cow, he's been excellent his first 2 years. Just bring in a 3rd down back instead of Gordon and call it a day.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Only at receiving, Gordon is the better runner and a pretty decent receiver himself.

Ekeler is a far more explosive runner than Gordon and Melvin really isn't even that powerful for a guy his size.
He's okay at catching the ball but not to the point where a defense really has to account for him as a pass catcher.

He's a marginal upgrade on Royce Freeman.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
They already have 2 cheap, good RBs and now spend money on Gordon. Man Elway doesnt get enough criticism.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They already have 2 cheap, good RBs and now spend money on Gordon. Man Elway doesnt get enough criticism.

He's made some really smart moves this offseason though.

Bouye, Casey and Glasgow were great pickups, and he just re-signed Harris to a steal of a deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's overrated as hell.

RE Gordon.... Chargers offered him 10 million per year - did he REALLY think he was going to get more than that? :facepalm:
Really depends on the structure of the contract to know how much he left on the table. As a RB, he'd be lucky to get 2 years average of the contract guaranteed. Elite players at their position coming off their rookie contracts, can get 3 years average value in guarantees. Gurley was going to have $10 million guaranteed had the Rams kept him past a certain date, so by cutting him in March, they save that. But, when the reports of his contract came out, that $10 million would have been included in his guaranteed money, but it's not fully guaranteed. So it's always in the details of the announced contract.

With only $13.5 mill in guarantees, Gordon appears to have left money on the table however.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it was handled poorly by the Gordon camp but I can never really fault a RB for holding out considering how short their shelf-life is. Almost all of them just have that one shot to get paid, and your value can tank if you have an off-season after a good year.

Reactions: TheGooooch

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
I can’t fault him for trying to get everything he could, considering the shelf life etc. His representation could have cost him money, but that happens.

He still has 13.5 million in guarantees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad