News Article: Melnyk suing Acerus Pharmaceuticals (Trimel) after significant losses

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hopefully he cashes in the sens sooner than later ,guy doesnt have the $ to build a contender

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Suing both companies he founded
5 year ban from hold a senior position at a public company.
Health issues
Divorced

The man has a whole whack of problems.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The stocks are sitting at 9 cents. Ouch.

I don't think this is really a good or bad thing for fans of the Sens. He wouldn't be taking legal action if he A. Didn't have the funds to mount this kind of attack and B. Counsel didn't think there was a case.

On a side note, good god are publicly traded companies a cancer to society.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Suing company for $145 million. Company is currently valued at $20 million.

Stocks were trading at $4.45 per share in 2012. Currently trading at $0.09 per share. In case you aren't down with the maths, the stock has gone down 98% in under four years. NINETY. EIGHT. PERCENT.

... legit worried about Eugene's financial wherewithal to ever commit to being able to support this franchise as anything more than a budget team. He's attempting to sue his own company for over 700% of what it is worth. Like... just read that again. Not good.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The stocks are sitting at 9 cents. Ouch.

I don't think this is really a good or bad thing for fans of the Sens. He wouldn't be taking legal action if he A. Didn't have the funds to mount this kind of attack and B. Counsel didn't think there was a case.

On a side note, good god are publicly traded companies a cancer to society.

Don't be so confident in (B). Plenty of frivolous lawsuits in this space.

As a general rule, you can't just sue a Board for doing a crappy job (in pure performance terms), because courts refuse to analyze the correctness of a given business decision using hindsight bias. Melnyk basically needs to show that Directors failed to exercise due care in coming to their crappy decisions, which is a different animal.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Stocks were trading at $4.45 per share in 2012. Currently trading at $0.09 per share.

... legit worried about Eugene's financial wherewithal to ever commit to being able to support this franchise as anything more than a budget team. He's attempting to sue his own company for over 700% of what it is worth. Like... just read that again. Not good.
Thinking its only a matter of time before he needs to sell ,that other lebreton group could make ,AN OFFER SOON THAT HE REALLY CANT REFUSE:laugh:

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I do find it funny that he became a whistleblower against Valeant after he left the company. He's accusing them of masquerading as a Canadian company while being based in the U.S to avoid taxes. A little rich coming from a guy who moved to Barbados in part to avoid taxes.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Valeant's issues are more about wonky accounting than tax offshoring, tbh.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Melnyk has to be hoping for a settlement.

Derivative lawsuits are becoming en vogue lately, with lots of out-of-court settlements. The kink here is that the companies who settle tend to be successful companies with lots of fluid assets, not failing enterprises who are hemmhoraging out their ears.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So how is Melnyk supposed to build a new stadium if he doesn't have the money for it? I know the Illumination Lebreton proposal has a bunch of partners (I think it was 29), but would all of them be expected to pony up funds for the stadium? Or will it be a MASSIVE bank loan?

The city has already said they will not commit any money to the construction of the stadium, the Feds don't get involved with that sort of stuff, the Ontario government is as broke as a joke. So assuming there are no public funds coming in, how is Melnyk expecting to fund this massive project?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Anyone else and they're deemed crazy but because he's rich he's probably just labeled as "eccentric". Does anyone actually like Melnyk anymore? Well I guess the guy who donated his liver does.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
So how is Melnyk supposed to build a new stadium if he doesn't have the money for it? I know the Illumination Lebreton proposal has a bunch of partners (I think it was 29), but would all of them be expected to pony up funds for the stadium? Or will it be a MASSIVE bank loan?

The city has already said they will not commit any money to the construction of the stadium, the Feds don't get involved with that sort of stuff, the Ontario government is as broke as a joke. So assuming there are no public funds coming in, how is Melnyk expecting to fund this massive project?

He said it would be privately funded, by whom, I'm not so sure.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Melnyk is just grasping at straws at this point.

He's done as a super rich person. Give up the trappings (Sens) and go enjoy your still considerable wealth Eugene.

Not only does this type of stuff indicate he probably doesn't have the money to fund the Sens properly, it also makes you think he will try to squeeze the team as a revenue source even more.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So the company was valued at .11/share at IPO. Melnyk gets involved and valuation jumps to 1.58 after he puts up 30M in equity. CompleoTRT gets pushed back and back and back and now he is trying to get more than his initial investment? k...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not too sure about this particular company but Pharmaceuticals companies are worth money based on their R&D but there never is any certainty in the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if he invested significantly and the particular products just aren't good enough or there are many substitute products. Pharmaceuticals is a cut throat business, I'm surprised Eugene invested in this field. It's extremely risky and for a guy that keeps talking about his financials it seems that the logical thing to do is to not invest significant amount of money in such a business.

There's definitely some information missing here but there's no way Eugene would be able tor recover that money. What kind of assets does this company have for 145M? Might as well just file bankruptcy...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Stocks were trading at $4.45 per share in 2012. Currently trading at $0.09 per share. In case you aren't down with the maths, the stock has gone down 98% in under four years. NINETY. EIGHT. PERCENT.

Hopefully the NCC is taking this into consideration with the bid at lebreton flats. What bank would finance this guy anyways? They are getting tighter and tighter with the crashing dollar.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Hopefully the NCC is taking this into consideration with the bid at lebreton flats. What bank would finance this guy anyways? They are getting tighter and tighter with the crashing dollar.

I don't think he's going through any bank.

And look at his assets. Melnyk may have less money but assets are assets. As long as you have something your lenders can retrieve their money from they will lend you money.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think he's going through any bank.

And look at his assets. Melnyk may have less money but assets are assets. As long as you have something your lenders can retrieve their money from they will lend you money.
He has leveraged the hell out of the team,and claims its not worth money .Yet banks have lent him 100,s of millions against it

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

One of two things happened:

1. He pulled an O'Leary to Mattel and ripped them off. That seems highly unlikely based on his current actions and remaining the third largest shareholder after the transaction.
2. Those that took over ran it into the ground with a special kind of incompetence. Hard to reduce a company to rubble like that so quickly. Hard to have losses of 9M on revenues of 16M.

Perhaps he has a case. I don't know much more than what i hear in teh news, which is to say I don't know much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad