News Article: Melnyk opens his mouth

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He's a billionaire and owns the team. He's earned the right to say whatever he wants.

Lay off him. We wouldn't have a team in Ottawa if it wasn't for Eugene.

So we have no right to criticize him or call him out for the comments he makes sometimes?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Yep.

Silly some people think we lose to Pittsburgh because melnyk spoke about Crosby though lmao.

I mean that wouldn't be the number one reason why we would lose to the Penguins but it's a stupid and unnecessary comment to make. What did he hope to accomplish exactly but calling Crosby a whiner in the media?

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
Yes, I know that. But apparently Melnyk said it was a coin flip who would go #1....which makes zero sense. There wasn't anybody in the world who would have taken Ryan at 1, probably including himself....what I am suggesting is that unless Melnyk is straight up insane he might be getting Ryan's pre-draft story mixed up with Kessel's. Both are American wingers who came up around the same time (Kessel was drafted the year after Ryan/Crosby) and for at least a short period, Kessel was touted "American Crosby"in some context.

Here's some context to what I am alluding to straight out of 2005 HFBoards.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-170022.html

So obviously, if it came down to it we all know Crosby would have been taken over Kessel but all I am trying to point out is regardless of how flimsy it was, there was something going on about Kessel being a better prospect than Crosby that Melnyk might be getting mixed up about and thinking it applied to Bobby Ryan since they were both American wingers set to be taken at the top of the draft in back to back years.

Did he mention how we ended up with Brian Lee???? What good player did we lose out on, with that coin flip?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean that wouldn't be the number one reason why we would lose to the Penguins but it's a stupid and unnecessary comment to make. What did he hope to accomplish exactly but calling Crosby a whiner in the media?

Well nothing what are we accomplishing by speaking here. TBH. I've said before. I like it. Why not is what I say. It's his money. He devoted his life to amassing his fortune and has chosen to basically give it to us for our own pleasure. (Not like Ottawa makes him much in return). If I was the owner. I wouldn't just sit in the shadows constantly like some would like.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
Sydney Crosby puts a lot of money in Melnyk, people buy tickets to see star players. I wonder what old Eugene would say if Crosby decided to sit out his next game in Ottawa.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Sydney Crosby puts a lot of money in Melnyk, people buy tickets to see star players. I wonder what old Eugene would say if Crosby decided to sit out his next game in Ottawa.

In the playoffs? He'd be happy as hell. You Kidding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad