News Article: Melnyk opens his mouth

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
as per THIS, they werent... and I remember someone on TSN literally freaking out on TSN when MTL picked Price over Brule at No.5

2-5 were a toss up

Man, that's a kinda crappy top 10 after Crosby.

Ryan had the baby fat thing happening a bit back then

the-top-three-draft-picks-bobby-ryan-of-the-mighty-ducks-of-anaheim-picture-id53314557

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The difference is that the perception of Matthews and Laine was much closer than the perception of everybody else (Ryan included) in the 05 draft and Sidney Crosby...you're telling me you buy that there would be any deliberation between teams to take Ryan or Crosby?

People are really side stepping my point and going off on different tangents. My point is that there was (as flimsy as it might have been) a perception that someone might have taken Kessel over Crosby had they shared the same draft year. That perception might not have been legitimate but it was a minor enough story at one point that you can still pull up discussion about it on google a decade later. Melnyk is either insane, or he is getting mixed up and attributing this "American Crosby" Kessel stuff to Ryan.

Why you mad? He is the owner and can say what he wants. Take what El Cheapo says with a grain of salt, laugh or cringe but it doesn't impact the team at all - fortunately.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What Euge said about Karlsson maturing a great deal in the last couple of years is a bit of insider knowledge, though, and it makes sense. Let's be honest - not all, but for sure a lot of young guys are basically horse's @$$es until they are about 25, at which point they start growing up. I know that my mid-20s was the time when I stopped playing the fool and started thinking more like an adult. It wouldn't be a huge shocker to learn that Karlsson went through the same process in the last couple of years.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The last two aren't that crazy statement wise, but go beyond over sharing.

Most of us can figure out that Ryan probably had a tough year (Mother passing away, possible stress of a new child), but the state of his mental health isn't really our business. I'd also argue Ryan was already playing well to close out the season in the new role Guy Boucher has carved out for him (minimal ES minutes, taking Stone's spot behind the net on the top PP) but the pendulum swung from zero puck luck to a ton of puck luck in a short period of time. (Maybe it helps playing the same team for 4 games straight).

As far as the Karlsson thing, it's an interesting point. Today when reading the Anderson quote I was thinking with how well Karlsson has stepped up as a leader about how wrong I (and if I remember correctly) a few other posters were for thinking they wouldn't choose Karlsson for captain or something to the effect that he might not be ready at his age.

On the Ryan thing....I'll paste what I posted in the Ryan thread. TL;DR....I think Melnyk is confusing Ryan with Kessel. Which isn't any less embaressing but it at least makes him a bit less delusional.

That's funny in a let's pretend Eugene Melnyk is an Office character sort of way, but legitimately he is probably getting Bobby Ryan mixed up with Phil Kessel who although I am not entirely clear on the backstory since I wasn't following hockey beyond a casual basis at that time, I think the story is maybe for a very short period of time during his pre-NHL "career" Kessel was considered "American Crosby".

Yes, Kessel wasn't in the same draft, but that's one explanation for such an insane comment.

Sounds like he's remembering incorrectly. Honestly i dont think its really THAT embarrassing though

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
as per THIS, they werent... and I remember someone on TSN literally freaking out on TSN when MTL picked Price over Brule at No.5

2-5 were a toss up

Holy **** guys. English is not even my second language but even I can see that what he was saying was that the difference between picking first and second was a flip of a coin, not the difference between Ryan and Crosby per se. You know, draft lottery and stuff.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I don't know how he can comment on the 2005 draft when it's very clear he didn't have anyone scouting prospects at the time. :laugh:

Why you mad? He is the owner and can say what he wants. Take what El Cheapo says with a grain of salt, laugh or cringe but it doesn't impact the team at all - fortunately.

Randall Moore?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Agree he was not as off the rails as he used to be in days of yore. Not sure it was a great idea to say that the Sens didn't think Karlsson would be able to handle being captain when they gave him the C though.

He also offered up the information that he thinks the Sens play boring hockey but after thinking about it, I don't mind that as maybe Boucher will take that into consideration and loosen the reins a bit next year.

I don't know if it has to do with boring hockey, but I notice there are a whole boat load of seats left for tomorrows game which is somewhat surprising.

Guy Boucher knew more about hockey at age 5 then Melnyck will ever know. Being an NHL owner doesn't buy you hockey knowledge or class, clearly.
Boucher will never take hockey advice from Melnyck, because Melnyck knows nothing about leadership, a winning culture or saying and doing the right things to bring respect to your team.

Hey Matt O'Connor - you suck. Hey Alfie, no loyalty after you were lucky enough to be a player for Eugene Melnyck. Hey Crosby, you baby, you suck. Hey Dave Cameron, you're an idiot, you suck. Hey Ottaws media, what's with you guys being unfair and making me appear crazy. Hey 2017 playoff run, you're boring, you suck.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
None of this really registers on the "Melnyk is a buffoon" meter. I still wish he would keep his mouth shut, but we've been subjected to so much worse from him that this seems tame in comparison.

Atleast Melnyk is somewhat entertaining to have as an owner. MLSE are sooooooo boring and corporate.

Yeah, who would want an owner (or ownership group) that keeps their mouth shut and signs the cheques without putting up a fuss? Melnyk is a joke and one of the worst owners in the NHL, bar none. I could do without "entertainment" from the owner, that's what the on-ice product is for.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I can't think of another single owner who is in the media as much as Melnyk, you have to wonder why is this guy always shooting his mouth off? You may see other owners once a yr but this guy is constantly fighting with somebody, why?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can't think of another single owner who is in the media as much as Melnyk, you have to wonder why is this guy always shooting his mouth off? You may see other owners once a yr but this guy is constantly fighting with somebody, why?

money doesn't make you happy and you're ego is so big you think the world needs to hear your opinions because you're surrounded by yes men and media who are more then happy to let you appear like the fool you are because it's good for ratings.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
He didnt say anything that made him look crazy again. The Crosby ryan thing was a passing comment sounded like an owner pumping up his player.

Exactly, a bit of harmless hyperbole. Melnyk has become a bit of a whippin' boy and some of the reaction is nuts.

When Bryden was going bust Euguene was the only guy that stepped up and bought the team and I still appreciate that. The Bryden years with missing payrolls and being on thin ice were not great. Melnyk is a wealthy guy but we are not talking Bill Gates moola here and his finances are not as strong as they once were. Some of the comments and expectations of him dropping huge loads of cash into the team a la Russian spending on a premier league team are crazy.

Many better things going on in Sensland than whiny threads about an owner's interview.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Holy **** guys. English is not even my second language but even I can see that what he was saying was that the difference between picking first and second was a flip of a coin, not the difference between Ryan and Crosby per se. You know, draft lottery and stuff.

I agree, he said also that Ryan was ranked "right behind" Crosby.

What's wrong with saying they weren't sure he was ready to be captain? He proved he can and the rest is history. Was he not young to assume a captaincy?

Some people make mountains out of molehills. Bobby Ryan went through a lot. His mum died and of course it will affect someone mentally, especially with the details that are public knowledge of Ryan's upbringing.

Bottom line is, warts and all, the guy loves his team and players. I can live with that. Warts and all.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree, he said also that Ryan was ranked "right behind" Crosby.

What's wrong with saying they weren't sure he was ready to be captain? He proved he can and the rest is history. Was he not young to assume a captaincy?

Some people make mountains out of molehills. Bobby Ryan went through a lot. His mum died and of course it will affect someone mentally, especially with the details that are public knowledge of Ryan's upbringing.

Bottom line is, warts and all, the guy loves his team and players. I can live with that. Warts and all.

He's getting sued by his former employees, he talked down Alfie, he talked down his coaching staff, a minor league goalie, he talks down the NHL's biggest stars, he sued Dany Heatley, he talks down the fans of his own team and the fans of other teams. The guy doesn't love his team and his players, he loves the sound of his own voice and has an unchecked arrogance

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He's getting sued by his former employees, he talked down Alfie, he talked down his coaching staff, a minor league goalie, he talks down the NHL's biggest stars, he sued Dany Heatley, he talks down the fans of his own team and the fans of other teams. The guy doesn't love his team and his players, he loves the sound of his own voice and has an unchecked arrogance

I don't have a problem with anything that you stated, and won't bother going into why. He is the owner. He pays the bills whether fans show up, or don't show up like this year. If you think that Cyril and buddy boy getting sued weren't going to be in the hot seat, then you have no clue how the business world works. 11,061 at a ****ing NHL game. In Canada. Heads are going to roll. I was there that night, it almost makes you want to cry.

So yeah, you and a lot of other people will always have an axe to grind and so be it. I would rather an owner who cares and is emotionally invested, warts and all, rather than a corporation who looks at numbers.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I'm just glad he didn't trash talk the Bruins in this interview. Remember the time he said 'we;re gonna kill them!" when we were in the middle of a playoff series against the Leafs......and we didn't come anywhere close to 'killing' them. We lost.

I doubt it happens, but if we do play play Pittsburgh this playoff season, I fully expect Crosby to dominate us because of Melnyk's inability to keep his mouth shut when it comes to Crosby. Calling him a whiner etc in public.. like why? Trash talk the guy all you want with other people in the Senators organization in a private environment but there's no need to publicly go out and say it. I know players often say they ignore all the outside noise etc but that's a bunch of B.S. Even if they do, they have friends and family who don't who can text them in a second every time something bad is said about the player

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
He's a billionaire and owns the team. He's earned the right to say whatever he wants.

Lay off him. We wouldn't have a team in Ottawa if it wasn't for Eugene.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He's a billionaire and owns the team. He's earned the right to say whatever he wants.

Lay off him. We wouldn't have a team in Ottawa if it wasn't for Eugene.

Sure he has the right to say whatever he wants, just like people have the right to call out his stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->