OT: Melnyk in desperate need of liver transplant

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Asking for public donor support now. Sounds pretty urgent. There was a photo of him recently and he looked extremely ill and jaundiced.

Prayers to him and his family, as well as Bryan Murray.

a32f38a5-2402-44b5-8228-4bb07c80e738_300.jpg

He looks sicker than Murray, who has Stage 4 cancer. Man, this sucks.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Damn. I hope he gets what he needs.

I haven't posted much lately because I'm using my phone from the U of A hospital. Had a kidney and pancreas transplant 8 days ago.

Hopefully he finds a donor soon.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I haven't posted much lately because I'm using my phone from the U of A hospital. Had a kidney and pancreas transplant 8 days ago.

Get well soon my friend ;)

Also best wishes to the Melnyk and Murray families.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Gods speed to your recovery!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Wow, continue to get well and stay rested. I hope you're in the clear for anything else.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
I know it's probably pretty easy to find on google but can anyone tell me how a live liver transplant works? I read that if you're eligible you go back to a completely normal life... so what happens do they only take part of your liver or what?

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Part of your liver and it grows back in 90-120 days. I think they said that hospital did 600 and every donor is normal with no complications.

I hope he gets a transplant. I just had a good friend lose her dad 2 days ago at 49 from liver failure.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

My dad had a lung transplant. He past away 6 years later, but he owed some donor 6 years of his life. Sign those cards, I really think they should make it auto opt in, where you have to opt out. Donating saves lives. Get well.

ps, I know most of the doctors well, I won't mention their names, but you are in good hands.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Speedy recovery.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Part of your liver and it grows back in 90-120 days. I think they said that hospital did 600 and every donor is normal with no complications.

I hope he gets a transplant. I just had a good friend lose her dad 2 days ago at 49 from liver failure.

Yeah my brother is 54 and he only has days left because of his liver . I offer my liver but the doctors are saying nothing can be done it is too late .

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for the best wishes guys.

My intent wasn't to hijack this thread with my circumstances... just to bring light to the need for donors.

There is a Dad on my ward that gave a piece of his liver to save his baby son.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah my brother is 54 and he only has days left because of his liver . I offer my liver but the doctors are saying nothing can be done it is too late .

I'm sorry to hear that

Get better soon eh. I take it everything was successful so far?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The sad thing of this whole ordeal is so many people seem to want to help Melnyk out. If you are really honest about helping out why does it matter that it's the owner of your team who may or may not give you hockey tickets?

If anyone is considering giving to Melnyk they should be just as willing to help another complete stranger that needs a donor. 17,000 people currently on the list in the US with roughly 1500 that die every year waiting.

Good for Melnyk, but if everyone that was willing to give him a liver would still try to donate a lot more people could be saved out there.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Don't you find it upsetting that he couldn't get a donor but Melnyk can use his influence to get one. Now i don't blame Melnyk for this but i think it's fundamentally wrong for a stranger to donate a liver to him when there's people on a wait list who are going to die. Don't blame him but when i hear of a 49 year old man who dies because he can't get a liver and then read about a millionaire who had like 400 offers i find it upsetting. Good for Melnyk if everything goes well but bad for those who die waiting.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I might take some flak for this but you shouldn't be able to publicly ask for an organ donation. A fundamental part of our healthcare system is equality of access to services. It's not perfect but we do our vest.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
I might take some flak for this but you shouldn't be able to publicly ask for an organ donation. A fundamental part of our healthcare system is equality of access to services. It's not perfect but we do our vest.

Agreed. I thought this whole thing was a bit tasteless.. I couldn't help but wonder how many people are in the hospitals in legitimate need of a liver transplant, but were bypassed because they're not the millionaire/billionaire owner of a professional sports team.

Great for Melnyk and his family.. not so great for a whole bunch of other people I suspect. Just my opinion though..

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed. I thought this whole thing was a bit tasteless.. I couldn't help but wonder how many people are in the hospitals in legitimate need of a liver transplant, but were bypassed because they're not the millionaire/billionaire owner of a professional sports team.

Great for Melnyk and his family.. not so great for a whole bunch of other people I suspect. Just my opinion though..

I get it but... when it's life and death you do anything in your power to stay alive. 17 other people who pledged to donate followed through with their donations so 17 people other than Melnyk got a liver quicker because of him. And that 18th person is now #1 on the waiting list. It's my understanding that Canadian laws make it so you can't "buy" an organ, he was high up on the waiting list because his situation was severe, he had only weeks to live. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but that's my understanding. I'm happy that Mr. Melnyk is recovering, and I'm sure the 17 other people are grateful for his public appeal. Plus I learnt some knowledge about liver donation, I had no idea that if I were to donate that they would only have to take part of my liver and that it would grow back. Now I am more likely to donate in the future. All in all I don't think what Mr. Melnyk did was wrong, just desperate. He had a platform to make an appeal and he used it, just like any of us would given the circumstances.

I couldn't help but wonder how many people are in the hospitals in legitimate need of a liver transplant, but were bypassed because they're not the millionaire/billionaire owner of a professional sports team.

Just because he's a billionaire doesn't mean his need wasn't legitimate. I'm not saying for sure that he did or did not get bumped up the line because of his money, but I know that his situation was desperate and he was going to die if he didn't get one.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

There is no rule for other people to not ask the general public. The problem for most people is they don't own an organisation with thousands of fans who probably think they will get a reward for donating. Its quite a regular practice for people to get livers from family members and they bypass the wait list because they have a lucky match. Its not fair that he got a liver when other people might not but it in no way impeded anyone else from getting a transplant as I would assume the person who donated wouldn't have done so without the request.

Edit: just read post above mine so turns out he did help other people with request so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I get it but... when it's life and death you do anything in your power to stay alive. 17 other people who pledged to donate followed through with their donations so 17 people other than Melnyk got a liver quicker because of him. And that 18th person is now #1 on the waiting list. It's my understanding that Canadian laws make it so you can't "buy" an organ, he was high up on the waiting list because his situation was severe, he had only weeks to live. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but that's my understanding. I'm happy that Mr. Melnyk is recovering, and I'm sure the 17 other people are grateful for his public appeal. Plus I learnt some knowledge about liver donation, I had no idea that if I were to donate that they would only have to take part of my liver and that it would grow back. Now I am more likely to donate in the future. All in all I don't think what Mr. Melnyk did was wrong, just desperate. He had a platform to make an appeal and he used it, just like any of us would given the circumstances.

You're pretty bang on with the waiting list thing. Took me close to 2 years just to get on the waiting list because of all the tests, doctor's appointments, more tests, booster shots...and on and on. 31/2 years after beginning the journey, they called me to be a backup in case the person they had above me didn't pan out with the donor. a month later I was called in. (Hoping to hell that MY final test would work out.)

Thankfully it did and I have to thank the parents of the kid who is younger than my daughter for donating his pancreas, kidney's (2 people), lungs, heart, liver, eye's...every organ you can think of to save myself and probably about a dozen others.

It's heavy and I'm thankful. I really hope I can manage to meet these folks.

EDIT: This info wasn't told to me by any doctor's specifically...just conversations I've had with them and putting 1 and 2 together...along with information from other sources that are close to me...it's really conjecture with some facts thrown in that I shouldn't be aware of, but am.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just saw your previous posts. I am definitely pulling for you for a speedy and full recovery!

Thanks Fourier. This thread gave me a chance to vent a bit...which was necessary for my recovery. Which is going very well indeedy!

You're one of many I have to thank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad