Post-Game Talk: meh bruins lose.. again

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never. Their power play just sucks. It always has, and despite the fact it actually has LOOKED better lately, it's not producing when you need it. I'm sure some of it is the personnel, but this is the one area where coaching has been abysmal IMO.

Last night was a joke. Winnipeg decided they were going to pressure our guys everywhere and we made no adjustments. Zero. We apparently can't set up passing lanes to counter that (coaching), and it's obvious that our wonder boy isn't up to the task of carrying the puck to relieve pressure, like you might see from guys like Kovalchuk, Backstrom, Stamkos or St. Louis on the power play. When teams with those kinds of talents face puck pressure on the power play they give it to their talent and let him create some space. It's beginning to get frustrating that our young stud isn't getting to that level.

I think there's still time for Hamilton to develop that aspect of his game. I also think that he's being coached to not do this currently. I always have had the sneaking suspicion that what a PP means to Julien is that it's nothing more than a 2 minute stretch where you probably won't be giving up a goal. They approach it as such, and they seem overly concerned with getting scored on rather than actually taking advantage of having an extra guy. They squander way too much time revesring in their own end instead of just making a play to start the breakout into the offensive zone. It's stupid. They lack any and all sense of urgency, which is why they never score.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Told yas .Bruins are built to win with 4 lines.They do not have type team where one line can carry them.If they have a line or two with injuries it shows.

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
How people can question the goaltending on this team is baffling to me. Tuukka is top five in SO, Wins, GAA and Save % in the league, there is nothing else. Unless he gets a SO every game, which even the GREAT TIM TOMAS was unable to do, this team cannot and will not win until they learn to score more than one goal a game. Main issue with this team at the moment is that it is going through what every other team has, a lull, they will work it out. The third line is in desperate need of a winger and another solid DMan is needed, once Chia addresses those the team should be fine, and goaltending will continue to be steller.

Also, when the offense is scoring goals it gives the goalie more confidence and allows them to play more aggressively and take risks that often lead to those highlight reel saves. The best defense is a good offense and we don't have one at the moment

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think there's still time for Hamilton to develop that aspect of his game. I also think that he's being coached to not do this currently. I always have had the sneaking suspicion that what a PP means to Julien is that it's nothing more than a 2 minute stretch where you probably won't be giving up a goal. They approach it as such, and they seem overly concerned with getting scored on rather than actually taking advantage of having an extra guy. They squander way too much time revesring in their own end instead of just making a play to start the breakout into the offensive zone. It's stupid. They lack any and all sense of urgency, which is why they never score.

I'm happy criticizing the coaching, but this notion that CJ is somehow primarily focused on avoiding shorthanded goals seems unnecessarily critical. I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to prove it, but I refuse to believe a coach would intentionally take a minus EV strategy. That seems too absurd for me to believe.

The lack of urgency to me is a reflection of the players on the PP and the degree to which they move. Especially on that second unit, I feel like the entire PP is geared around getting Chara shots on net. That isn't good enough IMO. As for the 1st unit, it's shown signs but I need more from Seguin. He needs to move his feet, go to the net and shoot more. He simply isn't asserting himself at all, and that's an issue. He seems like a cocky kid, but on the power play he is anything but. I mean even Kessel got it when he was in Boston for crying out loud, let alone now!

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Lazy*, for about the hundredth time. If you are gonna call Lucic lazy, at least spell it right. And Campbell's name. Thats important too

Seriously this the worst thing I have ever read in my life. We have one cognitive line, and you want to break it up.
You want Krejci on the wing, yeah thats always worked well. You want to split up the Merlot line which is the most consistent line besides the Bergeron line which you want to break up. And yeah, a rookie who has played two games is centering our top line.

Any other genius ideas?

Awright, this has been driving me nuts for quite sometime. I don't mean to single you out, cuz I agree with you, but I wanted a quote to work with.

I keep reading and hearing how you'd have to be crazy to break up the Bergeron line.

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin are by far the most productive line on the Bruins.

Do we all agree?

Splitting that line up is the worst thing we can think of, right?

So....as soon as they go on the man advantage, the first thing they do is split up the Bergeron line!

Can someone please explain to me how Peverley, or Spooner, or anyone on the Bruins is a better fit along side of Bergeron and Marchand than Tyler Seguin?

:dunno:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm happy criticizing the coaching, but this notion that CJ is somehow primarily focused on avoiding shorthanded goals seems unnecessarily critical. I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to prove it, but I refuse to believe a coach would intentionally take a minus EV strategy. That seems too absurd for me to believe.

The lack of urgency to me is a reflection of the players on the PP and the degree to which they move. Especially on that second unit, I feel like the entire PP is geared around getting Chara shots on net. That isn't good enough IMO. As for the 1st unit, it's shown signs but I need more from Seguin. He needs to move his feet, go to the net and shoot more. He simply isn't asserting himself at all, and that's an issue. He seems like a cocky kid, but on the power play he is anything but. I mean even Kessel got it when he was in Boston for crying out loud, let alone now!

Let me clarify. I'm not saying CJ consciously thinks that, just that on some level it's in the back of his mind. I also don't think he's drawing up plays to not get scored upon, but when his style is defense first, second, and third, it bleeds through whether you want it to or not.

Ironically, the pp last night when Spooner was on it briefly looked pretty good. They had some actual movement without the puck. I didn't know what to do because it was something very foreign to me. I fully agree about the big shot from Chara being the focal point, and it's a huge part of why the PP is so futile. Have to change the philosophy if you want different results.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
You are going to have uneven efforts from the 18 other guys game in and game out...This system does not allow your goalie much of, if any margin of error. We forever relied on Thomas, and will ask the same of Rask.

The first line no doubt has to pick it up...No excuse for them...there play is unacceptable right now.

I love your posts WhamBam, but I disagree with you on this one. We're not asking the same of Rask, we (Julien, you, others) seem to be asking more, unfairly in my opinion: Thomas played with more of a cushion. Our Goals For/Game was 2.98 (5th in league) in 10-11. This season, it has declined to 2.82 (12th).

Meanwhile, our Goals Against has improved from 2.30 in 2010-11 to 2.11 this season. (We had relatively prolific scoring in the 2011 playoffs, btw, with a GF/G of 3.24. Our GA/F was 2.12).

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love your posts WhamBam, but I disagree with you on this one. We're not asking the same of Rask, we (Julien, you, others) seem to be asking more, unfairly in my opinion: Thomas played with more of a cushion. Our Goals For/Game was 2.98 (5th in league) in 10-11. This season, it has declined to 2.82 (12th).

Meanwhile, our Goals Against has improved from 2.30 in 2010-11 to 2.11 this season. (We had relatively prolific scoring in the 2011 playoffs, btw, with a GF/G of 3.24. Our GA/F was 2.12).

Like I said, I could be wrong, for me, it's when you save em. Again, sitting on my couch, the expert that I am, when a team starts coming back vs the Bruins in the third period, I (A) have no confidence the goalie will keep the lead, and (B) have no confidence that the Bruins will score a goal to help them out..

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Just thinking about the 2011 playoffs.

How many of those 16 wins happened after leading by 1 after 40 minutes? Can't think of a single game except Tampa game 3. Every other game was pretty much decided (Philly, Vancouver) or tied.

I think we have to consider how huge all those leads in the past seasons were.

Don't exactly know what point I'm making here, but oh well. :laugh:

doubleculprit

Apr 20, 2007
I really feel the Bruins need to start physically abusing our opponents. If somebody has to take a suspension to send a message so be it. Saturdays game is a good example. Time to goon it up. Beat the crap out of your opponent.

I see where you're going and I don't totaly disagree, but you're not going to out goon Toronto. We have enough guys going down lately. Save it for the Habs.

doubleculprit

Apr 20, 2007
Awright, this has been driving me nuts for quite sometime. I don't mean to single you out, cuz I agree with you, but I wanted a quote to work with.

I keep reading and hearing how you'd have to be crazy to break up the Bergeron line.

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin are by far the most productive line on the Bruins.

Do we all agree?

Splitting that line up is the worst thing we can think of, right?

So....as soon as they go on the man advantage, the first thing they do is split up the Bergeron line!

Can someone please explain to me how Peverley, or Spooner, or anyone on the Bruins is a better fit along side of Bergeron and Marchand than Tyler Seguin?

:dunno:

I can't stand Seguin on the power play. He doesn't move the puck fast enough and he turns it over constantly while trying to pass it through the middle of the ice. He makes me crazy on the power play.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Like I said, I could be wrong, for me, it's when you save em. Again, sitting on my couch, the expert that I am, when a team starts coming back vs the Bruins in the third period, I (A) have no confidence the goalie will keep the lead, and (B) have no confidence that the Bruins will score a goal to help them out..

Because Both Rask and AK seem unable to "save" a lead, it's my understanding that some forwards need to pull their head out of their *censured* and start to make good decisions with and WITHOUT the puck. I understand that some people wanted rask to be Mr.Vezina right off the bat but it's not going to happen. You win a game when you score one more goal then your opponent. Right now, most of our forwards are more effective at turning the puck over then to capitalize on their scoring chances.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

I am with you Lou. Its not just about the overall stats its about When the save's are most important.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I can't stand Seguin on the power play. He doesn't move the puck fast enough and he turns it over constantly while trying to pass it through the middle of the ice. He makes me crazy on the power play.

But Seguin IS used on the power play.

He's just used with guys that he doesn't usually play with.

Again I ask: Why not put Seguin out with his usual linemates on the PP?

I'll re-phrase that:

Why is ANYONE on the Bruins a better option than Seguin to play along with Marchand and Bergeron on the Power Play.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I am with you Lou. Its not just about the overall stats its about When the save's are most important.

If the current trend continues it will be interesting to see what happens come contract time. His numbers when taken as a whole look great, but there are certainly still questionmarks about late goals and holding the fort when the pressure is on.

Right now I'm not sold yet on him as a top 10 tender in the league and would be wary of dishing out big $ or term.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
But Seguin IS used on the power play.

He's just used with guys that he doesn't usually play with.

Again I ask: Why not put Seguin out with his usual linemates on the PP?

Could this really be the problem? I mean every other team in the NHL front loads their PP units and often mixes players from their typical lines. This seems like yet another excuse.

How about if he just steps up his play on the power play? Let's try that.

Bruins 54

Nov 20, 2010
If the current trend continues it will be interesting to see what happens come contract time.

Right now I'm not sold yet on him as a top 10 tender in the league and would be wary of dishing out big $ or term.

If the current trend continues come contract time and he is 3 rd in average and 4 th in save percentage he is in for a big payday. If the bruins don't sign him there a lot of other teams that will, then what do the bruins do?

:shakehead:shakehead

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Stats for this discussion...and the CJ bashers

"Corsi" is a stat commonly used to measure a team's possession of the puck. It measures all shot attempts, not just shots, so it is often thought of as the best measure of a team's puck control and thus overall performance, as puck possession often translates to success.

2013:
- The Bruins rank 4th overall
- The Bruins rank 2nd overall when LEADING
- The Bruins rank 5th overall when trailing

This tells us that the Bruins outshoot (actual shots, blocked shots, shots missing the net) their opponent when LEADING at a rate which ranks them 2nd best in the NHL. In other words, anyone who wants to claim they they sit back in a shell when they are winning has to argue with actual stats.

If anyone wants to play with these stats, have at it:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201213&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
"Corsi" is a stat commonly used to measure a team's possession of the puck. It measures all shot attempts, not just shots, so it is often thought of as the best measure of a team's puck control and thus overall performance, as puck possession often translates to success.

2013:

This tells us that the Bruins outshoot (actual shots, blocked shots, shots missing the net) their opponent when LEADING at a rate which ranks them 2nd best in the NHL. In other words, anyone who wants to claim they they sit back in a shell when they are winning has to argue with actual stats.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201213&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

Interesting. I think the issue with this is that you're looking at both wins and losses though. I'd be very interested in seeing the games where they lost and how those numbers looked overall, and then games where they've blown leads. That would really be the telling info, IMO. Very interesting stuff though.

Kaoz*

2013:

There will be one stat that matters, where they finish in the playoffs. Where they looked very good last year then folded in round 1 to what should have been an inferior team it's hard to blame folks for being antsy.

This year should be a good measure. I doubt we see any real roster turnover at the deadline, any acquisitions will hopefully be at the cost of non roster assets.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Interesting. I think the issue with this is that you're looking at both wins and losses though. I'd be very interested in seeing the games where they lost and how those numbers looked overall, and then games where they've blown leads. That would really be the telling info, IMO. Very interesting stuff though.

That's kind of nitpicking though isn't it? If the issue is that they sit back with leads, then this stat would confirm that (as it does for some teams). If the issue is that WHEN THEY LOSE LEADS it's because they sit back, then what would you conclude? "Don't sit back", right? Well, these stats say they don't sit back, or at least, they do it as infrequently as to rank them top 3.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
After a night's sleep...

Tuukka has to be able to steal a few games for the B's. I believe Tuukka knows this.

We need a scoring Winger who can play on the PP.

We need another d-man going into the playoffs.

Horton has to show up more often.

Spooner looked good for only his second NHL game.

The fans for the Jets are having a good time. I don't understand why people think this is a bad thing. Good for them.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Could this really be the problem? I mean every other team in the NHL front loads their PP units and often mixes players from their typical lines. This seems like yet another excuse.

How about if he just steps up his play on the power play? Let's try that.

I'm clearly doing a pizzpoor job of asking my question. :laugh:

I'm not making excuses for anyone or anything. This is not an indictment on Seguin's play, or anybody's play, good bad or indifferent.

This is what I don't understand:

IF Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin is Boston's most consistently productive line right now, and I think we all agree that it is, and...

IF you'd have to be crazy to break up that line, which seems to be the consensus, then...

WHY is it a good idea to break up that line as soon as you get a man advantage?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Watched B's and kept up with this board for years and never felt compelled to add to the conversation until now. I absolutely hate watching Horton play. No emotion, no effort, hands of stone, no speed and no finish. I know e scored some timely goals in the playoffs, but he sucks now.
It doesn't take talent to work your butt off, be aggressive/mean, and skate hard all night. This guy is a complete stiff.

Nothing more i hate in a player than lack of emotion and effort. No excuse for that.
Unacceptable.

Welcome to the board.

I don't hate Nate but he needs to show up in more games.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was at the game tonight at the NTS centre.

You guys let it get away late but you are the best team that we have played this year. Really a tight solid team. Bergy is easily one of the best all around players in the league. Pavs stood on his head and stole us 2 tonight.

Good luck on your cup run this year.

and you on yours.

The Jets looked very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad