Mega-Thread: Timeline of Rule Changes

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I have somewhere in my notes a collection of some rule changes from roughly from 1910 to 1930. I can try to compile them at some point. Someone can correct if I´m wrong with these. These are gathered from papers not from rule books.

Few easy to find changes are ofcourse the goaltender stopping the puck in any manner rule. Sometimes referred as Clint Benedict rule. It is true that Benedict mastered that "cheating" and it did affect in NHL rules. But it was widely known problem. It created lot of stoppages in hockey and in tight games it created lot of arguements. Goaltender were supposed to be penalized from it, but that very rarely happened.

Timeline of that rule change that I have is... (And someone correct if I´m wrong)
1916 PCHA allowed goalkeeper to stop the puck in any manner.
1917-1918 NHL season (1918) NHL did the same
1922 CAHA adapted the rule though it may be that some local associations and leagues may have take longer time to take the rule in use.
I do not know when the rule came in use in International hockey, but it may have been as late as in 30´s.

And ofcourse the always popular goaliepad ruling. It started to be bit of problem and surely some of the pictures I have seen goalies have quite monstrous pads.
1923 Goaltenders pads must not be wider than 16 inches while lying flat. Also masks were allowed. Goal crease which was briefly use was disbanded. (CAHA)
1923 At the same time PCHA already went with a maximum of 12 inches pads. (Also goalie coulnd´t go behind the net)
1925 Goalie pads from 14 inches to 12 inches. (So in 1924 it may have gone to 14 inches.) Also goalie was allowed to throw the puck behind the net. (CAHA)
1927 Goalie pads from 12 inches to 10 inches (CAHA and also NHL took the rule)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad