Movies: Meg 2: The Trench

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was this really needed lol
with Statham and Jing headlining an ensemble cast that also includes Sophia Cai (“The Meg”), Page Kennedy (“The Meg”), Sergio Peris-Mencheta (“Rambo: Last Blood”), Skyler Samuels (“The Gifted”), and Cliff Curtis (“Avatar” franchise).

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The first movie was an absolute stupid amount of fun, I'm absolutely down for another one.

I loved Statham back in the day, haven't seen much of his stuff in the last 5-8 years, is this gonna be a straight-to-streamer?

He really hasn't done much besides the fast and the furious movies and the wrath of man which was a fun one too during that time span

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It is wild that Ben Wheatley directed this. I don't think I'm into it, but I hope it's successful and he makes enough money to go back to doing weird shit.

Reactions: kihei

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The Meg eats the Cocaine Bear and is high for the rest of the film?
Might pay to see. Thing is this Meg movie is not a Sharknado made to be a B movie on purpose lol I didn't check but I bet the budget is big.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I saw it. The first half was incredibly boring. Everything you see in the trailer is in the last 20 minutes. You gotta love the China pumping due to the financing primarily being from there too. Barely hidden propaganda that's required to secure funding.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched it last night. The first hour reminded me of Moonfall in how stupid and unbelievable it is. A few of my favorite things:
The characters walk around on the sea floor at a depth of 25,000 ft, over 10x deeper than today's diving suits can actually go. I could buy their futuristic suits going deeper, but 10x is silly.

They have only two hours of air, hardly enough to walk the required 3 km, so what do they do? They treat it like a walk in the park by taking their time and talking the whole way. :laugh:

When a character disappears as they're walking on the sea floor and they find only his diving helmet, a panicked friend says that they need to go look for him, as if they might find him alive without a helmet at a depth of 25,000 ft. :biglaugh:
The remaining 45 minutes, however, are... well, still stupid and unbelievable, but actually kind of fun. It's like a whole different movie, one that stops taking itself seriously and embraces absurdity and humor. It's as if it was trying to be The Abyss and then decided to be Piranha 3D, instead. The third act rescues it, but it's too bad that the whole movie isn't like that. That could've been a pretty entertaining popcorn flick. As is, you get just 45 minutes of that as a reward if you can make it through the first 60.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I saw the first one over the weekend and enjoyed it enough. Might have to check this one out one day.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watched it for a giggle between US Open tennis matches. Osprey's review nails it. Two different movies, one drab and misfocused, the other a lot of fun. The colour scheme even changes.

Don't know why anybody finds that dour SOB entertaining, though. JS needs to be megged.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad